Any experience, opinions on Moonshine Rod Co.?

ribka

I love my midnight special 9’ 8wt. Great rod. Not as fast as my Sages are but I wanted a more progressive action rod. Great nymphing from a boat rod, and it’s a decent beach rod for sharks here roo
How fortuitous

Was looking for a beach surf shark rod
Didn’t eat to dump $700 plus on a loomis or Winston

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
T
How fortuitous

Was looking for a beach surf shark rod
Didn’t eat to dump $700 plus on a loomis or Winston
for sure! The hybrid midnight special cost $299 I think - was totally worth it and the al stealth black finish mines got is pretty fuckin sexy to look at
It pairs with a Kraken 3 perfectly

Rob Allen

The Douglas LRS, a new model for 2019, is a smooth casting rod with plenty of power, and at MSRP of $249 is a bargain in today’s world.

I've only cast the DFX. I should also mention i did not like it with the rio gold but i could tell the rods potential so i cast it with a cortland 444 DT.
I just abhore casting lines with the whole head out the tip top. Feels clunky and nasty.

Nick Clayton

How much sinking line are you looking to pull up out of the water? That is not exactly in the wheelhouse of most five weights.

If you're on a lake why not just strip in more line before attempting to recast? Might be surprised how many fish you hook by retrieving closer to the boat.

Pulling a bunch of sinking line up out of the water is going to be tough with just about any five weight out there, IMO.

Jim Darden

I saw one on Big Spring Creek last year, it caught my eye because the finish on the rod was so superior to the top end rods we see here (Gary Anderson excepted). Am thinking of ordering one just because of the finishing components.....

Richard E

T

for sure! The hybrid midnight special cost $299 I think - was totally worth it and the al stealth black finish mines got is pretty fuckin sexy to look at
It pairs with a Kraken 3 perfectly
Man, I still don't get why someone would plop down $300 on a rod, sight unseen, never cast it or another rod from that manufacturer, from a manufacturer not nearly as established as others in the industry. Heck, the Douglas LRS is $249, and that rod rockets. The TFO BVK is less than that. The Fenwick Aetos MSRP is $189, and that rod model rocks! True, the name "Douglas" isn't as sexy as "Moonshine", but it ain't about brand or model name for me...

Rock Creek Fan

IMHO - listen to @Richard E. He has more fly rods in his quivers, and in his backup rods, not counting the recent sales he has recently done, to fully understand rods and their capabilities...

theTastyPlecopteran

Why not just buy a Sage Foundation for $325? Matte black blank and that rod has a stiff tip that would work well for pulling sinking lines out of the water. There is nothing worse that trying to pull a type 3 sink line out of the water with a noodle in your hand.

Richard E

Why not just buy a Sage Foundation for $325? Matte black blank and that rod has a stiff tip that would work well for pulling sinking lines out of the water. There is nothing worse that trying to pull a type 3 sink line out of the water with a noodle in your hand.
That Foundation is a whole lotta rod and punches well above its price point...

Last edited:

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
That Foundation is a whole lotta rod and punches well above its price point...
My moonshine rod is hardly a noodle-

I bought my Blue Halo glass 3wt sight unseen and never cast and I love that little rod so fucking much.

Sometimes you want to give the little guys a shot too, or at least I do

Richard E

My moonshine rod is hardly a noodle-

I bought my Blue Halo glass 3wt sight unseen and never cast and I love that little rod so fucking much.

Sometimes you want to give the little guys a shot too, or at least I do
I’m not dropping coin for a sight unseen mail-order bride, nor $300 for a rod that neither my trusty buddies nor I have csst or even seen. But, that’s me. Just learned my lessons over the years on gambling dinero on rods recommended by folks I don’t know.

I would love to cast some Moonshine rods sometime. Good looking sticks, love the product name, but I’m more about substance than form, and I’d need to cast it at least handle one before the wallet is unleashed.

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
I’m not dropping coin for a sight unseen mail-order bride, nor $300 for a rod that neither my trusty buddies nor I have csst or even seen. But, that’s me. Just learned my lessons over the years on gambling dinero on rods recommended by folks I don’t know.

I would love to cast some Moonshine rods sometime. Good looking sticks, love the product name, but I’m more about substance than form, and I’d need to cast it at least handle one before the wallet is unleashed.
I own it now and would still recommend

Latest posts