Planning summer trip to Alaska via motorcycle - need help!

Greetings,

A buddy and I are taking two weeks in July and riding from Tacoma up to Alaska on our Triumph Tigers. We are planning to hit Banff/Jasper first, then make our way up through B.C. and into Alaska. Picking the ladies up in Anchorage, taking 2-3 days to do the Denali Highway loop, then down to Haines to jump on the ferry. We are hoping to do some fishing along the way, each of us is planning to bring a 5wt and some minimal gear to wet wade when we see an opportunity. I'm also considering throwing in a packraft for some lake fishing.

Given our timeline,
- is there anywhere you would take extra time to stop and fish at? We will be targeting trout/grayling more than salmon.
- Any particular fly patterns you would make sure to bring along?
- Anything else we should think about?

Thanks in advance,
Doug

I lived in AK for 33 years brfore recently retiring to Washington, and have done the Alcan numerous times as well as the Denali. Your trip plan is great, but very ambitious. That’s a bunch of ground to cover even without doing anything but traveling. If I were you I would skip the Denali ( it’s all gravel; will be a little slower on a bike) or plan a little more time. I always wanted to do that trip on a bike but never seemed to get around to it. Hope you have a great ride. Mike

Last edited:

Richard E

I lived in AK for 33 years brfore revently retiring to Washington, and have done the Alcan numerous times as well as the Denali. Your trip plan is great, but very ambitious. That’s a bunch of ground to cover even without doing anything but traveling. If I were you I would skip the Denali ( it’s all gravel; will be a little slower on a bike) or plan a little more time. I always wanted to do that trip on a bike but never seemed to get around to it. Hope you have a great ride. Mike
Great comments. I thought it sounded a bit ambitious, as well, with a lot of ground to cover, particularly on a motorcycle.

If you do take a rod, I surely would take no less than a 6...

David Loy

Senior Moment
Yeah Richard, but imagine all the trouty streams you’d cross. (But then you’d need an extra month.) Bring some emergers, a few dries, emergers, maybe some wets, and some emergers.
Sounds like a trip to remember!
Please relive it for us when you get back.

Meeshka

Maligne Lake in Jasper for rainbows and brookies is a great trip. Boats can be rented in town. Although the lake is 22 km long there is great fishing in home bay just off the lanch. 6 wt is what I fish.

Roper

Idiot Savant
I’m jealous, however I doubt my T100 Bonneville would make it...be safe. A friend of mine made that trip and more last year, tires were the biggest issue.

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
Way too many miles.

Split the trip in two. Do northern BC and Yukon in one and Alaska in the other. BTW...Haines is part of the northern BC and Yukon trip.

Take the ferry to Haines first. That way you can do the rest of the trip without worrying about ferry reservations and traveling to MEET that date.

Anyway...wrote this a couple of years ago on traveling up north and planning a trip.

http://usbackroads.blogspot.com/2017/10/usbackroads-thoughts-on-traveling-to.html

I did a one-way Trip from Kenai to California driving a friends car out. Spent 10 days in Canada and 12 in Alaska. It wasn’t enough. I wouldn’t do it on a motorcycle but plenty of people do, just think you’re going to be short on time.

If you do make it to the Denali Highway, pick up a copy of The Highway Angler by Gunnar Pederson. Find a river that looks good and float it with your packraft. It will be a highlight and you won’t be able to keep the grayling off your fly.

Trapper

ISO brown liquor and wild salmonoids
Way too many miles.

Split the trip in two. Do northern BC and Yukon in one and Alaska in the other. BTW...Haines is part of the northern BC and Yukon trip.

Take the ferry to Haines first. That way you can do the rest of the trip without worrying about ferry reservations and traveling to MEET that date.

Anyway...wrote this a couple of years ago on traveling up north and planning a trip.

http://usbackroads.blogspot.com/2017/10/usbackroads-thoughts-on-traveling-to.html
Nice blog.

AFA055AF-B3BC-4F12-AE74-231F8AE964B1.jpeg

The mosquitos can be bad but what I hated most were the White Socks. They are a biting black fly.

If I ever rode a bike to Alaska I’d want a faring and windshield just for the bugs.

This photo was taken near Hoonah. Southeast AK in May.

Last edited:

Mems

Aloha, my Dad and I drove from Chicago to Anchorage on the AL-Can and back. We took a month and put 10,000 miles on our rig. Banff and Jasper and Lake Louise were the most beautiful. Best Grayling fishing was in the Cassiar range in the Yukon territory. Big dollies and grayling, they would eat any fly that hit the water.
Fishing off the highway you had to get at least 1/2 mile away from it on any creek to find fish. People up there had huge dogs to keep the bears away. If salmon were in the streams then the bears were around. The mosquito is the state bird in Alaska. Almost every car or truck had a cracked windshield, and we got one as well. When we went Canada had a beer strike, so I drank tequilla. The glacier rivers were shitty to fish, but the moonlight on them in the evening is an image I will never forget. Good luck, I would take 2 more weeks, you should enjoy the trip. Personally I would have been happy spending the entire time in Banff and Jasper. Good luck. Mems