NFR Communication

Skip Enge

I have always been socially gregarious...I think it comes with being an artist...and I gotta say that social reach thing is way more important it seems as decades go by...and that is a bit effed up...It's how we got Milli Vanilli , Justin beiber , Thomas Kincade, the Kardashians, People magazine and other personalities ...

Shad

I think a lot of people use Facebook for all kinds of inappropriate messaging, because it suits our lazy nature. Why call everyone in the family when you can put up a single post and inform everyone (except those who don't use social media)?

The sounds of our loved ones' voices are crucial to our sense of social belonging and well-being. Social media actively prevents us from talking to each other. I think between that and all the "look how good I am at life" crap you see while browsing Facebook, social media is a big driver of the increasing suicide (and mass homicide) rates we've seen in recent years.

Borne of the best intentions, but like most powerful forces, dangerous in human hands.

Had to edit, to pass along best wishes for your brother, @Old Man . Take care.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I'm quite gregarious - in person. The repeated invitations to join FB over the years have been met with the same NO & why: "My life is just that - mine." I talk to my Kids, Sister & the Kids' Mom daily. Nieces & Nephews on a regular basis.

Skip Enge

I think a lot of people use Facebook for all kinds of inappropriate messaging, because it suits our lazy nature. Why call everyone in the family when you can put up a single post and inform everyone (except those who don't use social media)?

The sounds of our loved ones' voices are crucial to our sense of social belonging and well-being. Social media actively prevents us from talking to each other. I think between that and all the "look how good I am at life" crap you see while browsing Facebook, social media is a big driver of the increasing suicide (and mass homicide) rates we've seen in recent years.

Borne of the best intentions, but like most powerful forces, dangerous in human hands.

Had to edit, to pass along best wishes for your brother, @Old Man . Take care.
As with the population at large most have perspective about social media...Folks don't write letters anymore. I never do...I know how. Some out there don't, I believe...case in point my kids... So i have a page on FB set aside for just me and my 2 daughters where I can always communicate quickly... I mean they have smart phones and get pretty much immediate notification. I am in that realm of eff smart phones...but enjoy FB...FB is not cool...Younger folks have left in droves...which I am fine with... The deal with it is you do have control of who you see in your news feed...you block them don't friend them, mark unsee...etc through various means. I have a painting page, a HS page , Yeah we post pictures of incredible dinners, garden stuff and a page commemorating pets... Most of this is found here on WFF also...It's perspective...put it in a box, like using your remote in another room to stream a effing football game that others in your household could care less about...that's the way i see it.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
What happens in my family I could care less.. It's just the way I found out. But I didn't actually read it there, my wife did. It's just the way I learned about my brothers condition. So I called him. I found out where he is in the Hospital at How he is and how he's feeling. My phone conversations are always on the short side. I get what I want and then get off the phone. I've never been one to sit on a phone and talk for hours. I really hate talking on a phone.

I got what I wanted and now I'm happy. He's alive and I'm alive. so we are all good.

Trapper

ISO brown liquor and wild salmonoids
Skip, In my life, because I'm not trying to promote sales etc like you, it just seems like a lot of time and effort for next to no decent return. I don't see it as a good source for reliable news (I know, what is?) but more like a gossip circle.

I would be all over it if people were earnestly and cognitively researching important subjects and then sharing their data with others. What I saw was lots of false memes intended to sway political opinion and anyone not tagging it with a "Like" or presenting logic or facts was publicly dismissed.

dld

I was on Facebook because I had a friend who couldn't really communicate any other way. I had about a thousand friend requests, only had 22 friends...all of whom I talked to at least once a week. I would only post links to music.

I quit Facebook because of the stupid political posts. Not because I disagreed with the politics, I love a good argument. I quit because of the stupidity.

And the cat videos.

IveofIone

I don't even know what Facebook is but have heard a lot about it second handedly. It seems like a lot of guys have got their dick in a wringer by posting stupid shit and have rued the day they ever posted. Something that can ruin your life just by pressing a few keys doesn't appear to be a good idea to me. WFF is as far down the social media path as I ever hope to go.

JayB

During our last medical catastrophe FB was actually an incredibly helpful tool to send out updates and mobilize help and support while we had our hands full keeping vigil in the ICU and coping with immense amounts of grief, fatigue, etc.

There was way too much going on to notify everyone who cared about my Dad to notify everyone individually by phone, and there were quite a few important people from various parts of my Dad's life that saw the news and followed up by sending cards, calling my Mom once things stabilized and she had time to talk, or swung by in person to talk and/or ask what we needed and bring it to the hospital. Other folks volunteered to help take care of the pets, mow the lawn at my Mom's house, etc. Even small notes expressing sympathy on FB were helpful and appreciated. Even when it was time to notify everyone when and where we'd be having the funeral it was an immensely helpful tool.

This isn't a blanket endorsement of FB and all of the problems people have cited are real, but IMO it's like any other technology or tool and to the way you use it has a great deal to do with whether it's a constructive or destructive influence in your life.

Skip Enge

Skip, In my life, because I'm not trying to promote sales etc like you, it just seems like a lot of time and effort for next to no decent return. I don't see it as a good source for reliable news (I know, what is?) but more like a gossip circle.

I would be all over it if people were earnestly and cognitively researching important subjects and then sharing their data with others. What I saw was lots of false memes intended to sway political opinion and anyone not tagging it with a "Like" or presenting logic or facts was publicly dismissed.
I have a humor page welcomed by request and invite ...so not too many people ...It's called The Mute Cricket Society...we have occasional laughs there...as for political... I just poke fun at crap by allusion to personalities without naming...

I have always been socially gregarious...I think it comes with being an artist...and I gotta say that social reach thing is way more important it seems as decades go by...and that is a bit effed up...It's how we got Milli Vanilli , Justin beiber , Thomas Kincade, the Kardashians, People magazine and other personalities ...
Skip, you have me thinking..if one thing could ever get me to join Facebook, it might be a support group for fellow sufferers of Thomas Kincade I-want-to-gouge-my-eyes-and-soul-out because of his art.

he invented sugar-free cotton candy

Skip Enge

jamma got one a print as a gift for I dunno 35 years on the job or something...he had it in his bathroom above the toilet...I gave him crap about it...it was funny...but my aim was always appropriate, rather than true (sorry Elvis Costello) A while back he moved it ...I don't think he will admit it was out of deference to me and my butt hurt...Ha!

Krusty

Glad your brother is ok.

FB is a hell of a way to find out significant things like deaths or medical emergencies. I don't think it's intentionally meant to hurt feelings, but it feels that way. It's just such a common mode of communication that it's become, for most, the dominant form. People (and businesses & government & employers) just assume everybody's life revolves around FB...and many a life does so.

I haven't been on FB for many years, and don't intend to ever return. I really don't want to know everybody's political beliefs, daily personal dramas, or triumphs. I've got enough stuff in my own head to listen to somebody else's stream of consciousness. FB reminds me of those damn xmas card letters that used to be the rage.

Hell...the concept of what constitutes friendship has even been distorted by it.

Latest posts