NFR Communication

Skip Enge

Sorry for your loss. I will text & send e-mails, but don't write letters much anymore. One of my Niece's said "If you'd join Facebook, we could talk more often." "Why?" I asked. Doesn't your phone work?"
If I wanted to keep up with my daughters and grandkids I knew FB was a way...so about 12 years ago i did...the quickest way to get a response. My girls are 33 and 38...grandsons...11 and 6...there is that...Who should change?. I figured I could because they are so "busy."

If I wanted to keep up with my daughters and grandkids I knew FB was a way...so about 12 years ago i did...the quickest way to get a response. My girls are 33 and 38...grandsons...11 and 6...there is that...Who should change?. I figured I could because they are so "busy."
At a time of loss or urgent notification, timeliness is important IMHO. Also the personal interaction between two people is just as important. I understand the use of FB in everyday activities and why it is so 'important' to those that use it. But there is a time and place for everything. Yes I am 'old school'. The younger generation should take that into account.

I also understand FB and the almost complete loss of privacy and many of the security issues. Just look at recent news and lawsuits against FB about lack of controls on data and privacy. Due to my job it was recommended that I, as well as many of my co-workers, not have any social media accounts.

Skip Enge

At a time of loss or urgent notification, timeliness is important IMHO. Also the personal interaction between two people is just as important. I understand the use of FB in everyday activities and why it is so 'important' to those that use it. But there is a time and place for everything. Yes I am 'old school'. The younger generation should take that into account.

I also understand FB and the almost complete loss of privacy and many of the security issues. Just look at recent news and lawsuits against FB about lack of controls on data and privacy. Due to my job it was recommended that I, as well as many of my co-workers, not have any social media accounts.
Okay...in a capsule...i have spent a creative life...since a kid...spent a career designer and communicating with the desktop...still have one an IMac...I pioneered some shit by being a beta tester of 3D programs... My career in design and art I suppose channeled me to use a computer as a tool...I used to have many galleries as my reps...they did a shitty job for the 50% they took off sales...So today and for 8 years or so I use FB to contact other artists and show my work... On any given gallery opening night ...perhaps 150 will come see my work and for the rest of a month long show the numbers do not come anywhere close to what exposure I in a single day. I have sold and shipped work across the nation, to Europe, even one to India...2.32 billion FB computer users daily. 1.15 billion mobile users daily...out of that astronomical number...I choose a tiny % to share with by setting my shares as public, friends only etc...We all have reasons for using it, we know about Cambridge Analytica, and so on...we know anytime and anywhere we visit online we are tracked...we also know we are hounded by producers of security software that purportedly will "Fix" all your online problems...so dropkick your "smart" phone and computer devices...Hey to each is own ...This is social media when you get down to it.

jwg

Okay...in a capsule...i have spent a creative life...since a kid...spent a career designer and communicating with the desktop...still have one an IMac...I pioneered some shit by being a beta tester of 3D programs... My career in design and art I suppose channeled me to use a computer as a tool...I used to have many galleries as my reps...they did a shitty job for the 50% they took off sales...So today and for 8 years or so I use FB to contact other artists and show my work... On any given gallery opening night ...perhaps 150 will come see my work and for the rest of a month long show the numbers do not come anywhere close to what exposure I in a single day. I have sold and shipped work across the nation, to Europe, even one to India...2.32 billion FB computer users daily. 1.15 billion mobile users daily...out of that astronomical number...I choose a tiny % to share with by setting my shares as public, friends only etc...We all have reasons for using it, we know about Cambridge Analytica, and so on...we know anytime and anywhere we visit online we are tracked...we also know we are hounded by producers of security software that purportedly will "Fix" all your online problems...so dropkick your "smart" phone and computer devices...Hey to each is own ...This is social media when you get down to it.
I totally agree that if you have a business, you can and should use social media to promote it and communicate and interact with current or potential customers.

In fact, I am interested to hear your experience, as I have mused about how much social media I would need to learn and use to, for example, turn my photography into a self-supporting business after retirement from my current vocation.

Facebook.
Instagram.
a blog to attract readers.

would there need to be more?

J

jwg

I recall several years ago the (old) folks running a boys camp telling me about communicating with the teen and young adults camp counselors in preparation for the summer season.

'If we send them email, they never read it or respond. If we communicate with them on Facebook, they respond promptly. So thats what works.'

j

BDD

My take on social media (Facebook) and communication in general may be a little different than most of you. I admit I'm not a huge FB guy, being very inactive on my personal account over the years. But in January 2019 I started making weekly posts on our Catchercraft page about various boating, fishing, and political issues (fisheries). The feedback has been very positive and I think helpful to new boat owners by providing some insight, tips, and ideas on boating.

Regarding posting medical or health status, I guess I don't see a problem with it, so long as the person is okay in posting the information. It can be a good way to share information to a large group quickly. Let's face it, communication has changed over time. I don't see a lot of smoke signals being used much anymore or the telegraph for that matter. Communication is a 2-way street...it goes both ways. Just because one method works best for you doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. If you are complaining that people don't call you like you think they should, you can either complain about it on WFF and be in the dark or pick up the phone (or whatever method you prefer) and reach out to others to communicate if you so desire.

For me, I'm feeling less and less inclined to talk to or even see people. As I get older, unless its about fishing, I have less and less desire to talk to people, unless its family or good friends. When I used to see people on the river, I loved chatting with them, gathering information. Now, I'm more than likely to wave and keep going. If they initiate the conversation, I'll be more than polite and share knowledge, especially if they are young. However anymore, I generally won't spark up a conversation...I go out of my way to avoid seeing anyone if I can help it.

Last edited:

Krusty

My take on social media (Facebook) and communication in general may be a little different than most of you. I admit I'm not a huge FB guy being very inactive on my personal account over the years. But in January 2019 I started making weekly posts on our Catchercraft page about various boating, fishing, and political issues. The feedback has been very positive and I think helpful to new boat owners by providing some insight, tips, and ideas on boating.

Regarding posting medical or health status, I guess I don't see a problem with it, so long as the person is okay in posting the information. It can be a good way to share information to a large group quickly. Let's face it, communication has changed over time. I don't see a lot of smoke signals being used much anymore or the telegraph for that matter. Communication is a 2-way street...it goes both ways. Just because one method works best for you doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. If you are complaining that people don't call you like you think they should, you can either complain about it on WFF and be in the dark or pick up the phone (or whatever method you prefer) and reach out to others to communicate if you so desire.

For me, I'm feeling less and less inclined to talk to or even see people. As I get older, unless its about fishing, I have less and less desire to talk to people, unless its family or good friends. When I used to see people on the river, I loved chatting with them, gathering information. Now, I'm more than likely to wave and keep going. If they initiate the conversation, I'll be more than polite and share knowledge, especially if they are young. However anymore, I generally won't spark up a conversation...I go out of my way to avoid seeing anyone if I can help it.
I'm much the same way, and I don't really know why....as I've aged I've grown less social. Too much mileage on these old bones? Wary of the pain from having suffered the loss of old friends. More introspective about my too rapidly approaching end? When you're young you feel you have an infinity of time. Maybe I'm trying to cherish my remaining moments actually experiencing each moment...and as a lifelong introvert that doesn't include shitloads of people as part of an enjoyable experience. Flyfishing is a fine activity for introverts.

Last edited:
I never wanted to be on facebook but did get it a year ago, straight away found out that some relatives & friends post every bloody thing they eat! Some people run their facebook like a curant affairs program! Other people are trying to save the world sharing links to stuff! But what i do like is the messenger funtion, quick & easy to send pictures & videos to friends & family overseas! And free phone calls & face time calls to family & friends overseas! But sometimes someone will post a picture of something good on facebook, like this picture of the back of a truck! sketch-1552816306047.png

Trapper

ISO brown liquor and wild salmonoids
But sometimes someone will post a picture of something good on facebook, like this picture of the back of a truck!
Thanks for reminding me why I'm not on FB any more. That was never on the back of someone's truck. If you look at where the bottom of the hatch or tailgate is, it ends at the graphic.

Would I want my daughter assaulted in a bathroom? Of course not. But young girls assaulted in bathrooms by Trannys is a myth; it never happened.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Yes Trapper!

My brothers and I have a good friend who my family has known since I was in high school. Our friend’s son is now his daughter. And it’s been so difficult for their whole family. But what they remind themselves is that along with being fearful for her safety and how people will accept their daughter, is they are less worried about her committing suicide.

I hate seeing violence as an answer to people not accepting other people and it’s not funny because it’s becoming very close to our culture these days.

People should actually be more worried about their wives and daughters being killed in a mass shooting by a young white male in his mid to late 20’s than they do of them being assaulting by a transgender person in a public restroom.

The answer to the bathrooms is simple, though it would be expensive for businesses. Make them all unisex bathrooms and have one stall.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Thanks for reminding me why I'm not on FB any more. That was never on the back of someone's truck. If you look at where the bottom of the hatch or tailgate is, it ends at the graphic.

Would I want my daughter assaulted in a bathroom? Of course not. But young girls assaulted in bathrooms by Trannys is a myth; it never happened.
Adam lives in Finland. They might have that written on Stickers there. I don't know as I've never been to Finland.

Latest posts