PFD recommendation

JayB

If you're planning on spending any time fishing cold, fast rivers where capsizing is a real possibility, go with a conventional PFD - at least for those trips.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I don't find low profile PFD's uncomfortable or "Kenny-esque" at all. What I like about the Stohl over the NRS Chinook is that the Stohl doesn't tend to "ride-up." It just fits me better. On the other hand, I'm sure that I'd find drowning extremely uncomfortable & downright terrifying (at least for a short time anyway.).
what specific one are you referring to?...I may look online at the Fisherman's marine Supply site before driving 40 miles to check it out...Been needing one for a long time...we spend a lot of time in float tubes...Ellen has a "kenny" type...

Old trout

I use an auto infateable one from Cabelas. I have only had it inflate by accident once and that was my fault. I can attest to the fact they work as advertised when my brother and I decided to do a safety equipment check and swamp the pram. It is comfortable and not hot. the only thing I have not figured out is, should I wear in over or under the rain coat.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I would probably piss myself if it accidentally inflated...but it would save me a trip finning back to the bank i suppose and a unpleasant ride home and the explanation necessary should i fail to surreptitiously dodge being found out once home...then there is the truck seat and the wader cleaning...I don't think I want a PFD with a hair trigger...I would probably do that.

A PFD is essential when around water - any water. The Stolquist 'style' above is my choice - a back that doesn't impede rowing from a low back seat, a few pockets for essentials when I get out to wade a section, fits outside my waders but inside my jacket (had to get a larger size). If you want an inflatable, get one that self inflates in spite of the initial and maintenance expense.
Rescued a fellow wearing an inflatable who replaced his gas bottle with one too big for his vest - damn near chocked himself from the overinflated tube around his neck. Its hard to laugh when adrenalin is racing through your body but we did!! Moved his double chin to under his eyes!!

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I am thinking about all the steelhead and salmon fly fishing i did at the mouths of rivers in the columbia gorge without a PFD oh for prolly 25 years...on borrowed time man!

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I don't find low profile PFD's uncomfortable or "Kenny-esque" at all. What I like about the Stohl over the NRS Chinook is that the Stohl doesn't tend to "ride-up." It just fits me better. On the other hand, I'm sure that I'd find drowning extremely uncomfortable & downright terrifying (at least for a short time anyway.).
I'm a bit bulbous...the ride up thing will probably happen...though my pleasantly plumpness is probably an apparition in my own mind and I avoid mirrors...

Use a Mustang auto-inflate in the power drifter. Who makes it is less important than it's comfortable enough that you actually wear it, and definitely do so over your coat or vest. Once mine's on, I forget all about it.

Also have a manual inflate previously used wet-wading rivers waist deep...these days, if I'm unable to reach the slot knee deep, so be it...

stepping into a hole or slipping while deep wading in fast water and then dealing with the subsequent death ride is a younger man's game...and most of us have taken one or two..

Latest posts