PFD recommendation

I like the NRS chinook for a non-inflatable. I wear it in my raft, and find myself wade fishing in it a lot in winter when flows are high and fast.
Check out the new Chinook model. It has much better pockets on it. The older one is on discount. Relative to size the only difference is the length of the adjustment straps as I understand it, which give you more flexility on size than you might otherwise think.

I use an auto infateable one from Cabelas. I have only had it inflate by accident once and that was my fault. I can attest to the fact they work as advertised when my brother and I decided to do a safety equipment check and swamp the pram. It is comfortable and not hot. the only thing I have not figured out is, should I wear in over or under the rain coat.
Wear it over the raincoat.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
there are multiple great life jackets out there, buy the one that you will actually wear while on the water. Having a life jacket stowed under a seat in a boat is a useless life jacket

Kilchis

I have worn inflatables for about 15 years. In that time I've had two accidental inflations. Once was when I caught the T handle on a manual inflator in the mesh of my salmon net, the other occasion was when i tossed the PFD onto my garage floor. In each instance it cost me about $40 for a rearming kit.

Last year I picked up a brand-new NRS Chinook for twelve bucks at an estate sale. I wore it float tubing thru the fall and winter because of the added warmth factor. I thought its bulk would be very intrusive, but 30 seconds after it is on I've forgotten it's there. Once the weather warms up I'll go back to wearing an auto-inflate PFD for the summer.

CAUTIONARY LEGAL NOTE: The last time I checked USCG regs inflatables MUST BE WORN in order to count as a PFD in situations where vessels must have PFD's aboard.

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

DukeCB

I just got the new NRS Chinook today after reading this thread. Everything on it looks great EXCEPT it does not have a d-ring in the back for a net. The older version on sale right now does. Almost all my trout fishing is from hiking/wading. If I can't figure out a good way to carry a net, I might have to send it back. I really like this vest.

Peyton00

I just got the new NRS Chinook today after reading this thread. Everything on it looks great EXCEPT it does not have a d-ring in the back for a net. The older version on sale right now does. Almost all my trout fishing is from hiking/wading. If I can't figure out a good way to carry a net, I might have to send it back. I really like this vest.
I dont know the material of the pfd, but couldn't you use a sticky back and a zip tie for the net to clip onto. Just a thought.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
The chinook looks great ...same price point as another I liked...I float tube primarily...I like the freedom the upper bib allows and it comes in an xxl

msteudel

Mark Steudel
I have the older NRS chinook and I like it a lot. I do find that it doesn't quite have enough pockets as my vest (no surprise). I took a swim years ago when floating the yak by myself that scared me, and now I wear a pfd especially fishing by myself. I will throw my vest on the back of my boat and then cherry pick fly boxes if I'm leaving the boat (which I don't do that much). I recently got the fish pond switch creek hip pack (aka fanny pack for fly fisherpeople) as a supplement, and plan on leaving the vest at home. My thought is I can wear it and slide the pack to the side when I'm floating, and between the two I can carry all the boxes I need (and probably more than I need). I also use this pfd when I do a lot of ocean paddling and its nice having the pockets for snacks, cameras, binocs, etc. The retracter rusted up in about 10 seconds of taking it out on the salt, so I just chucked it. I also like how the chinook has a high back so it fits over my hard seat on my water master. It has plenty of adjustment for me (but I'm a medium build) so I can wear thicker clothes under it if needed and expand the side and shoulder straps. I haven't tried any others but the pockets were the big deciding factor when I researched.
_23__A_Day_of_Trout_Spey_-_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts