Noob introduction... and request for a little guidance.

Hello all,

I'll start off with saying I'm new to the forum but not entirely new to fly fishing. If I had to give myself a skill level I'd probably fall under the category of an inept intermediate. I do fairly well with fish that don't get a ton of pressure but less so with ones that see flies day in and day out all season long. It's a skill level that fits perfectly with the waters I grew up fishing in NE Oregon, mainly the upper end of the Minam, the Eagles, and Bear creek. Places where a good saddle mule is my preferred mode of transportation to get to. These days I live in the Tri-Citties though and fly fishing has taken a back seat for a good many years as it's a bit dificult to cut out the time with a young family to make it to the kind of waters I like to fish.

So that's the introduction, so here's the question with a little back story for the reason why I'm asking. Last summer the wife and I left the kids with the grandparents to catch a music festival in Challis ID. To kill some time before the beer drinking and music would begin she wanted to try fly fishing, and who am I to say no at an opportunity to fish the Salmon river. So the short version of the story would be I tied a black ant on to my 4wt Carbon XL, showed her how to roll cast, put her in the best spot I could find, she got a couple of bites, and got a nice little rainbow to hand. Now she's wanting to do some more fly fishing this year. My in-laws have a cabin in Cliffdell, so my inclination is just use that as a base and explore the rivers via short drives from there. So having looked at the regs and maps can anyone recommend one stream over another that might be better to take some new to fly fishing to and they'd have fun? I won't name any streams to avoid stepping on anyone's toes except to say I was kind of disturbed on how going up to Bumping lake it seamed a lot of the fishy looking spots in the stream had a lot of toilet paper just up the bank. Seemed people weren't interested in using a shovel or kicking dirt over their remnants.

Any help on prioritizing what streams to explore for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Grande Ronde, the powder and Imnaha...I assume you fished them?...Dang! I had some great days 20 years ago out there...
Not much on the Grande Ronde or Powder, and still need to get acquainted with the Imnaha. I've cut the trail out up above Indian Crossing before but it has always been early in the year when the water moving a little too fast for me to worry about me fishing it. That and in the time it would take to drive over and fish it when flows calm down, I could be on the Minam above Redd's fishing. That's always been a hard opportunity for me to turn my back on.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Not much on the Grande Ronde or Powder, and still need to get acquainted with the Imnaha. I've cut the trail out up above Indian Crossing before but it has always been early in the year when the water moving a little too fast for me to worry about me fishing it. That and in the time it would take to drive over and fish it when flows calm down, I could be on the Minam above Redd's fishing. That's always been a hard opportunity for me to turn my back on.
Well my timing was great 20 years ago I guess... Ha!

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
My mind was blown at a ...can't recall what highway roadside park it was...but I wandered to the river and down a ways...climbed a big arse rock about 15' tall looked down in the pool...ginormous-ness...I fished it a bit ...16 to 18"...and bigger...but I couldn't climb the rock now or rather wouldn't

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
@theleo91386 . Welcome to the forum! I’m not one to give good advice. I’ve been fly fishing for many years, but like my bowling (i’ve been in a league for over 15 years), i still of suck at both but that doesn’t stop me. It helps that my my expectations are low - I’m excited to catch trout as big as my hand and i’m happy when i bowl over a 100.

HOWEVER, when i first started i had good luck catching smaller rainbow that were actually bigger than my hand, maybe 10 inches, on Icicle Creek/River in Leavenworth during autumn season, and the access was good. It was so much easier than the Yakima. I’ve haven’t been there in a long while though.