NFR Riding lawn mowers

Can’t wait until someone makes a robotic lawn mower, akin to what iRoomba offers for vacuums...but I suspect it would never happen because of liability issues.
There was a guyat the SLC home show last weekend that had a line of husqvarna robotic mowers. He had literature that he'd had the tech since the late 80's. Seemed pretty established. I always worry about my 4-inch high Labrador poop piles..no worries to this guy.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/produc...MIxNm7gN6F4QIVkh6tBh2q9AAJEAAYASAAEgLXVPD_BwE

Topstoy

My anus sits on Aeneas
I have had my JD X300 for 10 years now and it is going strong. The only issue that I have had is the original battery crapped out after 1 year. Bought a replacement at Schwab for like $35 and it is still doing great 9 years later. They are right in that $3000 range. If you get a chance you should test drive one. The steering on them is so sweet, it almost feels like it has power steering compared to the box store version which I had before it. And it does have the Kawasaki engine.

the_grube

I have had my JD X300 for 10 years now and it is going strong. The only issue that I have had is the original battery crapped out after 1 year. Bought a replacement at Schwab for like $35 and it is still doing great 9 years later. They are right in that $3000 range. If you get a chance you should test drive one. The steering on them is so sweet, it almost feels like it has power steering compared to the box store version which I had before it. And it does have the Kawasaki engine.
I'm leaning toward a new X-Series Deere; I think that's where Green and Yellow really starts to shine. Below that price range I think it's a crap shoot, and would look hard at the new Cub Cadet; they've redesigned their platform and the reviews are good.

There's a Deere dealer about 10mi. from my place, they deliver and setup for free IIRC...

Hillbilly Redneck

wishin i was fishin
We've been mowing an acre of lawn with a JD LX176 that we purchased new in 1992. I've been threatening to buy a new one, but after replacing the drive belt last year I'm going to squeeze some more life out of it. I've had to clean the carb and replace a few minor things besides the belts over the years. At this point, the plastic cowling is so brittle the hinges are gone and you just have to pull the whole thing off to get to the engine.
Something in the X-series will be replacing mine someday.

Topstoy

My anus sits on Aeneas
We've been mowing an acre of lawn with a JD LX176 that we purchased new in 1992. I've been threatening to buy a new one, but after replacing the drive belt last year I'm going to squeeze some more life out of it. I've had to clean the carb and replace a few minor things besides the belts over the years. At this point, the plastic cowling is so brittle the hinges are gone and you just have to pull the whole thing off to get to the engine.
Something in the X-series will be replacing mine someday.
I had a LX172 I bought new in 91 and it was a great machine. Sold it to a friend when it was 18yrs old and he still uses it. They were good machines on the same line of the X series. Somewhere in there I bought a used Big Box Store variety, either a "D" or "L" series I believe, and it wasn't built to the same standards and wore out your arms steering it. If my X300 finally quits, I will likely get the same or very similar model.

the_grube

Just about took the plunge on a new x350 with a 48" deck and the power flo bagger. It's a lot of scoobie do for a lawn mower, but it's supposed to be the deal for the heavy leafage we have around here. I even got the wife to sign off on the purchase; but, in a rare moment of self-control I decided to go fishing last night and sleep on it rather than run down and do the deal... I must be getting old, cuz the fishing isn't that good around here right now.

smc

Just about took the plunge on a new x350 with a 48" deck and the power flo bagger. It's a lot of scoobie do for a lawn mower, but it's supposed to be the deal for the heavy leafage we have around here. I even got the wife to sign off on the purchase; but, in a rare moment of self-control I decided to go fishing last night and sleep on it rather than run down and do the deal... I must be getting old, cuz the fishing isn't that good around here right now.
I have an X738 with the mulching kit. It’s a great machine, and the mulching system works good even when the grass is wet. Had a smaller JD with the power flo bagger. Had clogging issues when the grass was wet. Hated that. ymmv.

To add: I'm on the wet side, so wet grass is more of an issue. Our neighbor has a JD with the power flo and they never have clogging issues because they keep their lawn very short. They also use a fair amount of chemicals.

I prefer mulching because it returns the nutrients back to the ground. I keep my grass longer (about 3" - 4") because I think it helps keep it more resistant to drought, disease and moss. I fertilize with Milorganite in the Spring and Fall. Works for me.

Last edited:

cms829

I am going through this right now. My wife and I are waiting to close on a house that has around 3-3.5 acres of lawn I have to cut. Never knew zero turn mowers were as expensive as they are, and I've been told im nuts if I want to cut that with a tractor. My soon to be neighbor has a 2015 ferris 61" cut with dump from seat fast vac bagger. Its got 109 hours on it and he's asking 8,000. Hard nut to swallow. I know lesser quality brands/models can be had for less but I am trying to decide if I spend 4 grand for lesser of a machine or just go for it. New the thing was probably 12-13 grand with the bagger. Insane.

the_grube

I have an X738 with the mulching kit. It’s a great machine, and the mulching system works good even when the grass is wet. Had a smaller JD with the power flo bagger. Had clogging issues when the grass was wet. Hated that. ymmv.

To add: I'm on the wet side, so wet grass is more of an issue. Our neighbor has a JD with the power flo and they never have clogging issues because they keep their lawn very short. They also use a fair amount of chemicals.

I prefer mulching because it returns the nutrients back to the ground. I keep my grass longer (about 3" - 4") because I think it helps keep it more resistant to drought, disease and moss. I fertilize with Milorganite in the Spring and Fall. Works for me.
Good info! A 700 series is out of budget for me. I prefer to mulch too and keep my lawn on the long side. The powerflo bagger would be for leaves in fall more than grass. The dealer told me that system will pick up the oak and maple leaves I have within reason. So I'm kicking around the idea of this mower or getting a Billy goat lawn vac for the leaves and a kick a$$ walk behind for mowing.

Latest posts