Yellowstone grayling

Hi All,
I am thinking of taking a trip to Yellowstone to catch a grayling in Grebe Lake.
Any advice? Time of year, flies, what do I need to think about to actually hike in there?
Are there other places to catch a grayling?
Thanks,
Richard

Hi All,
I am thinking of taking a trip to Yellowstone to catch a grayling in Grebe Lake.
Any advice? Time of year, flies, what do I need to think about to actually hike in there?
Are there other places to catch a grayling?
Thanks,
Richard
Plan a trip July, August, or September. It is a 4 mile day hike on an easy trail (1 hour). The grayling are small 5-10 inches, but plentiful. Flies don't really matter for the grayling, ensure a small enough hook size for them to eat. Some rainbows are in the lake too, not as big as they once were though. There is a camping area on the far side of the lake, but you need to be bear aware.

Thanks for the replies.
I wonder how big the grayling that were stocked in 2017 will be by this summer/fall.
Time to start getting my hiking legs in shape.
richard

It might be fun to catch a giant pond monkey!
Reminds me of a put and take fishery they did in Michigan, where they would "plant" brood stock from the hatchery. It was a circus that I am glad I was never tempted by.
So maybe wait another year for the graying.
Thanks again everyone.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
They eat what Trout eat. After all they are in the same water that trout swim in so it would stand to reason that they eat what the trout do. It's not rocket science anyway.

Ray Bergman wrote about fishing Grebe in his book "Trout". One of my early goals was to fish all the places in the west mentioned in that book.
Fall of 1968, prior to going into the Army, I walked into Grebe. Guys at the trailhead warned me that they were telemetering a G-bear up the trail (yes its flat- it was a road in Bergman's time). Duly warned I kept up a steady line of patter; telling the bear what a nice place he had, how non-threatening I was, etc.. When a blue grouse shot up just off the trail I almost flew myself. Had the place to myself- caught both grayling and rainbows all around the lake fishing Hare's Ears on a sinking line. Even kept one grayling to eat. Delicious.
A couple years ago sent a non-flyfishing tourist I'd met at Baker's Hole up there armed with flies and a bubble. He got some photos of grayling for his buddies back in the midwest.

Latest posts