NFR Motorcycles on Trails

I'm in the process of planning a road trip to Idaho this summer, and in my search for trails I've discovered that many of them are designated as "open to motorcycles" from June through September. I have found some great rivers that I want to fish, but I hate the idea of hiking along peacefully only to be interrupted by the loud buzzing of a dirt bike. That said, I also know that just because a trail is open to motorbikes doesn't mean they're on it every day of the week. Anyone have experience with this? Is it even something I should worry about if the trail isn't within spitting distance of a major town?

NukeLDO

Northern, mostly the panhandle. Think Nez Perce and Payette.
I camp over there quite a bit, mainly over by the Lochsa/Selway area, and I'd say you can expect to see and hear them. Quite a few forest service roads open to ATVs too. You can't find a campsite at Johnson Bar in the summer without the ATVs running all over the place.
That said, there's some good fishing in the area....and worth putting up with some of the traffic.

I camp over there quite a bit, mainly over by the Lochsa/Selway area, and I'd say you can expect to see and hear them. Quite a few forest service roads open to ATVs too. You can't find a campsite at Johnson Bar in the summer without the ATVs running all over the place.
That said, there's some good fishing in the area....and worth putting up with some of the traffic.
Thanks for the input. I hope I can find more spots that are closed to them but if the fishing's good enough I guess I can put up with it.

You will encounter them, but it's not exactly constant. More ATVs than bikes. One year some dipshits moved into the same campground we were in and thought that an appropriate way to occupy their kids was to let them ride around on ATVs in the campground. Around and around and around the loop, generating an impressive amount of dust (not to mention noise). Needless to say the camp host put an end to that.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Today I took my "maiden cruise" on my brand new RadRover electric-assist fat bike! Its a "class 2 electric bicycle" whatever that means. Dang! I rode it from my house to the nearest beach approach, then up the beach to Westport, talked to some friends who happened to be at Westhaven St Park, then rode around the docks area, hit the booze market for an imported organic brew, and headed back down to N Grayland on SR 105. Got in 18 miles, and my battery indicator indicated that I only used up slightly more than 20% of the available juice. Say watt? Yes! 750 of 'em! Bike is supposed to have a range anywhere between 30 and 45 miles on average terrain, depending on how much electric pedal-assist and/or "throttle only" is used. Yes! No! Maybe! I don't have to pedal if I don't want to....I can just twist the trottle:cool: I may be looking at a 72 mile+ range here on the flatland beaches!
Oh yes! I am going to terrorize the beach...dang thing makes a buzzing sound at higher rpms:p Maybe I should get a killer bee outfit. Wheeeee!

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
don't worry about it, go where you want. shouldn't be an issue.
I agree. I rode it to the store, and then kept on going to the nearest beach approach, since my nose informed me that it smelled like low tide....powered down a truck tire track through the soft sand, holding my line...until I hit the hard pack, then let 'er rip heading N up the beach at 19.8mph! I jammed it into high gear and hit "level 3" (has 5 power assist levels)...fleeting thoughts of "unsafe at any speed" immediately jettisoned as I cackled insanely along. Next beach approach was a couple miles to the N, but I was there in no time at all, having been transported into the here/now, where it is always now, and time is just an illusion:cool:

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
I agree. I rode it to the store, and then kept on going to the nearest beach approach, since my nose informed me that it smelled like low tide....powered down a truck tire track through the soft sand, holding my line...until I hit the hard pack, then let 'er rip heading N up the beach at 19.8mph! I jammed it into high gear and hit "level 3" (has 5 power assist levels)...fleeting thoughts of "unsafe at any speed" immediately jettisoned as I cackled insanely along. Next beach approach was a couple miles to the N, but I was there in no time at all, having been transported into the here/now, where it is always now, and time is just an illusion:cool:
that thing might be a game changer for surf perch fishing, you could cover a lot more beach on a tide for sure !

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
that thing might be a game changer for surf perch fishing, you could cover a lot more beach on a tide for sure !
Now, its OK to drive on the beach, but on April 15th, that changes for the stretch that runs from Twin Harbors State Park up to the S Jetty at Westhaven State Park. "Motor vehicles" aren't allowed there then, but my "power assist" bike is legally a bike, so its OK. That stretch sometimes offers primo perch fishing.
I tend to think that forward progress is all about pushing the limits and stretching the definitions.

Latest posts