!st Generation Helios

Old406Kid

I have a 9' 5wt that I've fished once.
My question is what happens as far as warranty if you break one?
Sorry for screwing up the title, I meant 1st generation Helios.

Last edited:

Old406Kid

Great news on the warranty but I guess my question is has anyone recently broke a first genereation Helios and did they still have the originals as replacements or did they substitute something else of equal quality.

I only asks because I plan on using mine more and have seen several of them mysteriously break while fishing.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Hell, all rods break. I broke a GL3 just stringing it up. My dog broke my TFO by getting tangled up in the line. I found the top of one of my rods broken off. I have no idea how it happened.

Old406Kid

Hell, all rods break. I broke a GL3 just stringing it up. My dog broke my TFO by getting tangled up in the line. I found the top of one of my rods broken off. I have no idea how it happened.
I get that and whatever will be will be but I just wonder what the will be will be.:D

Dean, I have yet to break an Orvis but am currently using the zero gravity Ive gave me (so it’s just a matter of time). But from experience with other rod makers, you pretty much have it...you’ll likely get a current model closest to yours in terms of price point.

Of course you can always upgrade, it’s only money :D

Old406Kid

Dean, I have yet to break an Orvis but am currently using the zero gravity Ive gave me (so it’s just a matter of time). But from experience with other rod makers, you pretty much have it...you’ll likely get a current model closest to yours in terms of price point.

Of course you can always upgrade, it’s only money :D
So...have you figured out how to break that ZG in Ohio yet?:D

Great news on the warranty but I guess my question is has anyone recently broke a first genereation Helios and did they still have the originals as replacements or did they substitute something else of equal quality.

I only asks because I plan on using mine more and have seen several of them mysteriously break while fishing.
Did you contact Orvis yet to see what they would do? I would think that if they have the mandrels around they could make that piece.
When I toured the Sage factory I was surprised to see that they had bins of rod sections all pre-made to be used as replacement parts. That was something I did not know. I had presumed that when a rod was returned to the factory for repair to a broken section, the replacement part would be made at that time.

Porter

Did you contact Orvis yet to see what they would do? I would think that if they have the mandrels around they could make that piece.........
I hate to be THAT guy who sends an email inquiring Orvis or any rod maker their broken rod policy and then snap it on the next fishing trip........ Oh the things they would imagine about you when you turn the rod in for repair or replacement, and more interesting the spin doctor story you'll come up with. :eek: :D

up2nogood

Did you contact Orvis yet to see what they would do? I would think that if they have the mandrels around they could make that piece.
When I toured the Sage factory I was surprised to see that they had bins of rod sections all pre-made to be used as replacement parts. That was something I did not know. I had presumed that when a rod was returned to the factory for repair to a broken section, the replacement part would be made at that time.
I have broke a Sage XP twice, and they have been out of production for years, but I still got back a new XP. I would have to think Orvis would be the same.

Latest posts