Yakima today

NukeLDO

Fished the Yak in the canyon today from about 10 until 4. Water and flow is rising with the melt, and off-color. Did manage to land a few nymphing in shallower water where there were a few fish feeding on an emerging hatch. No signs of the skwala yet, and no luck on the swing. With the flows and levels rising, I'll give that a rest until the skwala show themselves. Where's the open still water?!!! Maybe next week.....

The Skwala emergence normally goes on into mid-April. Does anyone have a good site for water temps? Bureau of Reclamation used to have one (Yakima Hydromet if I recall correctly) but they no longer include temperatures.

BWBratt

I fished on Friday (Irene to Ringer). Really slow day--I chalked it up to too much sun and too clear of water. Saw some skwala close to the bank in the later afternoon and only one rise. Like Nuke, used the entire bag of tricks--nymphs, dries, pulled out the troutspey on 3-4 runs, was almost tempted to do some slop-rigging. Didn't see a lot of fish from the 2 others on the river either, even in the regular slots. Little bugs deep seemed to be the only consistent way to bring fish to hand. BEAUTIFUL day, despite the lack of fish.

I fished the canyon on Monday from Ringer to Umtanum and struggled with the muddy water. Threw streamers and nymphs but no love. Moved upstream to Cle Elum area and then further upstream. Water clarity was better, although climbing around in the woods was tough with 1-3 ft deep snow. Some bwo were hatching, which was surprising given the full sun. Saw some small stones climbing around the edges. Only saw one Skawala, buzzing forward. Fat skunk for me. Still nice being on the water.

NukeLDO

Here's a link to temps in the river in Ellensburg upstream of the canyon, so pretty much what I use.
https://www.usbr.gov/pn-bin/yak/dfcgi.pl/?sta=yrww
For flows, I use the Umtanum station.
And I stopped in at Reds last week, to check on the hatch...still too cold. Worley Bugger had the same report. Should start happening any day now with these warmer temps. Just not sure you'll be able to wade for too much longer given what flows are doing. Places I easily waded to last week were downright scary yesterday. I stuck closer in the bank.

Richard E

I fished on Friday (Irene to Ringer). Really slow day--I chalked it up to too much sun and too clear of water. Saw some skwala close to the bank in the later afternoon and only one rise. Like Nuke, used the entire bag of tricks--nymphs, dries, pulled out the troutspey on 3-4 runs, was almost tempted to do some slop-rigging. Didn't see a lot of fish from the 2 others on the river either, even in the regular slots. Little bugs deep seemed to be the only consistent way to bring fish to hand. BEAUTIFUL day, despite the lack of fish.
Slop-rigging? What dat?

Exactly the same results yesterday on the KOA to Ringer stretch. The water was not clear but certainly not chocolate milk. Lots of skwala nymphs moving on the rocks and some on the boat, only saw a couple of adults. Oddly enough the only action was on the small midge larva.

Fished the Yak in the canyon today from about 10 until 4. Water and flow is rising with the melt, and off-color. Did manage to land a few nymphing in shallower water where there were a few fish feeding on an emerging hatch. No signs of the skwala yet, and no luck on the swing. With the flows and levels rising, I'll give that a rest until the skwala show themselves. Where's the open still water?!!! Maybe next week.....
You guys always forget about the good stuff this time of year. I'd put Omak Lake at the top of the list for this time of year, with Rufus Woods always as the second best in the spring. Then when it starts melting you have the mediocre lakes in the basin going ice free for your pond fixes...

msteudel

Mark Steudel
I was on the upper around state on Sunday and water was gin clear. Lots of bugs hatching, skwalas seemed to show about 10 minute before I had to leave, around 11:30. Judging by the lack of dried husks on the water's edge, we've definitely not hit the main hatch.

Latest posts