Kids Fishing

Spawnflyfish

Spawn Fly Fish
Hello everyone,
Some of you know this but for others that don’t, I volunteer at Griffin Middle School (the school I also went to) teaching a fly fishing class for 7th and 8th graders. This class is offered everyday as a 7th period elective and is a huge hit! Some of our friends in the industry have helped out in so many ways and we can’t thank them enough. We have spent the past 3 months learning the ins and outs of fly tying as well as casting and entomology. The kids are unbelievable and fast learners! The PTO was gracious enough to donate money for several class fishing trips. We will be visiting a kids-only fishing pond in Lacey but are looking for a second place to fish. I’m hoping there is someone in the community with a private pond with small or large mouth bass for the kids to learn about proper fish handling as well as apply the skills they’ve been building this year. The only requirement is that it must be in relative proximity to Olympia, WA! It only takes one amazing memory to have these kids hooked for life! Please shoot me an email if you have any helpful information! Thank you! spawnflyfish@gmail.com

Attachments

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I'm sure glad you have patience with kids. Kids tend to drive me up a wall. I fished with a buddy that had his two kids along. I swore then that I will never fish with kids again. My only grandson lives close but he's to interested in Video's to do anything with this old man. He's 4 1/2 years old.

Spawnflyfish

Spawn Fly Fish
I'm sure glad you have patience with kids. Kids tend to drive me up a wall. I fished with a buddy that had his two kids along. I swore then that I will never fish with kids again. My only grandson lives close but he's to interested in Video's to do anything with this old man. He's 4 1/2 years old.
Very patient, very supportive we have to be if we want the next generation of fisherman to get off their iPads!

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
My own grandkids sort of drive me nuts...I won't work at the elementary schools or middle schools anymore...I just do the HS thing...they seem to understand reason...If not I kick their arses out of class and call the office...Not responsible if they aren't in the room...elementary and Middle are diferetn...The little kids scare me...they mush up their faces and start to cry...or they start running and it is all hands on deck...my unofficial motto, "can't kill em" I should insert this , or maybe two...;) ;)

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Vancouver parks has an annual Kids fish day...they provide rods bait and help...volunteers...the WSFW brings in a truck of trout,,, a bunch of brood stock to Klineline County park...the kids have fun, though not fly fishing...

Last edited:
Vancouver parks has an annual Kids fish day...they provide rods bait and help...volunteers...the ESFW brings in a truck of trout,,, a bunch of brood stock to Klineline County park...the kids have fun
Very cool! We have 24 fly rods fully equipped, the kids have all tied well over a dozen flies and are ready to rock and roll. We just need some hungry bass to hook them for life!

Hello everyone,
Some of you know this but for others that don’t, I volunteer at Griffin Middle School (the school I also went to) teaching a fly fishing class for 7th and 8th graders. This class is offered everyday as a 7th period elective and is a huge hit! Some of our friends in the industry have helped out in so many ways and we can’t thank them enough. We have spent the past 3 months learning the ins and outs of fly tying as well as casting and entomology. The kids are unbelievable and fast learners! The PTO was gracious enough to donate money for several class fishing trips. We will be visiting a kids-only fishing pond in Lacey but are looking for a second place to fish. I’m hoping there is someone in the community with a private pond with small or large mouth bass for the kids to learn about proper fish handling as well as apply the skills they’ve been building this year. The only requirement is that it must be in relative proximity to Olympia, WA! It only takes one amazing memory to have these kids hooked for life! Please shoot me an email if you have any helpful information! Thank you! spawnflyfish@gmail.com
Maybe inquire at the Nisqually pay to play place. I've not been so I can't speak to quality or other. Munn lake has been kind to me in years past as well. And it is a pink year. I can't think of a better way to Stoke out a young person with a six wt than with a bunch of pinks. They can always learn more discerning tastes later in their career.

Maybe inquire at the Nisqually pay to play place. I've not been so I can't speak to quality or other. Munn lake has been kind to me in years past as well. And it is a pink year. I can't think of a better way to Stoke out a young person with a six wt than with a bunch of pinks. They can always learn more discerning tastes later in their career.
I’ll look into the nisqually pay to play. Not familiar with it. I think Munn lake would be a difficult place to take 16 kids from the bank. I need somewhere that doesn’t require them getting in the water and when I’ve fished it in years past it’s far better from a float. As for the pinks I think maybe that’s a 2nd year field trip but agree they would be so stoked haha! Basically need a place where everyone will catch a fish and leave with a photo to show off, I know there’s someone out there that has a pond full of bass, I just need to find that person!

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Do you live in the Olympia area? That is not far from me. The reason i ask is i have been into Marie Kondo and her de-cluttering show and told my husband i want to get rid of our fly tying stuff. I’m never going to tie flies again and it’s taking up room in our garage. I’ve not looked at it in years but i’ll see what if it’s worth using.

Last edited:

Latest posts