Kids Fishing

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
@Spawnflyfish,
Let us know the weekdays and times that work for you next week and we can meet you in Dupont at the Farelli’s bar. The reason i am putting this up here instead of PMing you is in case anyone else lives in the area who has stuff to donate for your kids that maybe they want to hook up with us on the same day and have a beer with us too.
Let me quote myself again in case folks don’t read all the way through. I don’t know how to bold the text.

@Spawnflyfish, I have even MORE stuff for your kids! I met my long time fly fishing buddy Keith for a beer today. He has been our mentor since i started fishing in 1997. He is older and doesn’t fish as much as he used to. After telling him about your kids and asking if he had stuff he wanted to get rid of he brought me a lot of stuff today because he only ties for steelhead now.

Between the two of us we have lots of dubbing and feathers and many hooks and now four vises i think (though i know you might not need them). Also a couple of reels, (one is a Pfleuger reel). He also gave me two fly rods in a case. One is a 6 weight which should work for your kids. The other is i think an 8 weight which might not. Anyway, i think we have a lot of stuff you can use. Keith and I both said we have been wanting to give it away for awhile now, but not just to Goodwill. So this is just great for us.

Let us know the weekdays and times that work for you next week and we can meet you in Dupont at the Farelli’s bar. The reason i am putting this up here instead of PMing you is in case anyone else lives in the area who has stuff to donate for your kids that maybe they want to hook up with us on the same day and have a beer with us too.
Maybe even some of us that live in the area that do not have stuff to donate, will want to me up for a beer :)

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Maybe even some of us that live in the area that do not have stuff to donate, will want to me up for a beer :)
That would be great! We’ll put the date here when we figure it out. The time will be around 6:30-ish. And the place will be Dupont, since that it is pretty much the middle for Spawnflyfish/Josh and me.

That would be great! We’ll put the date here when we figure it out. The time will be around 6:30-ish. And the place will be Dupont, since that it is pretty much the middle for Spawnflyfish/Josh and me.
Sounds good. I have been to that Farelli's a couple of times. I know Josh too.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
OK y’all...On Thursday, April 4th at 7:15 pm I am meeting up with @Spawnflyfish at the Farelli’s bar in Dupont. I am giving him some fly tying materials for his volunteer work with young fly fishers. Some of y’all have indicated that you might be able to attend: @Nick Clayton , @Bruce Baker, @Salmo_g AND anyone else who lives in the Pierce/Thurston County area .... if you want to hook up to meet with us and have a beer, please come! You don’t need to have a donation, just show up. I’ll put out a reminder here.

Last edited:

Shad

I have a suggestion for a fishing destination (although, all things considered, Long's Pond is probably as good as it gets for shore access). It's not IN Oly, but it's pretty close.

I'm talking about the Vance Creek Ponds in Elma, located right off Highway 8. One pond is juveniles only and offers at least decent casting space from shore. Lake Sylvia in Montesano is a nice spot, and it has a good-sized fishing boardwalk with lots of casting space, but I think it offers less shore casting opportunity overall vs. The Vance Creek Ponds. Both those lakes get good numbers of typical planters and inordinately high numbers of jumbos as well. Get those kids into a couple of those Satsop Springs 5-pounders, and they'll be pumped!

I haven't been to Deep Lake (Millersylvania State Park) in years, but last time I was there, it seemed like there was decent shore access. That is always the trick with Western WA lakes. A dozen float tubes would be about the best thing anyone could donate to your program (of course, a bunch of middle school students in float tubes sounds a bit "risky")....

I'd also echo @dustinchromers in his suggestion of going after some pinks. Those fish are tailor-made for kids. Good biters and acrobatic fighters. Finding a beach that allows 16 students to fish at the same time will be a challenge, mostly due to the presence of other anglers, but somebody might have a good locale to recommend....

I don't have any gear to donate, but I do have time and at least marginal skills in casting, presentation, and tying, in case any of that sort of help is ever needed. I live locally. Let me know. This is a great cause, and I'd be happy to help out in whatever ways I can....

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
I have a suggestion for a fishing destination (although, all things considered, Long's Pond is probably as good as it gets for shore access). It's not IN Oly, but it's pretty close.

I'm talking about the Vance Creek Ponds in Elma, located right off Highway 8. One pond is juveniles only and offers at least decent casting space from shore. Lake Sylvia in Montesano is a nice spot, and it has a good-sized fishing boardwalk with lots of casting space, but I think it offers less shore casting opportunity overall vs. The Vance Creek Ponds. Both those lakes get good numbers of typical planters and inordinately high numbers of jumbos as well. Get those kids into a couple of those Satsop Springs 5-pounders, and they'll be pumped!

I haven't been to Deep Lake (Millersylvania State Park) in years, but last time I was there, it seemed like there was decent shore access. That is always the trick with Western WA lakes. A dozen float tubes would be about the best thing anyone could donate to your program (of course, a bunch of middle school students in float tubes sounds a bit "risky")....

I'd also echo @dustinchromers in his suggestion of going after some pinks. Those fish are tailor-made for kids. Good biters and acrobatic fighters. Finding a beach that allows 16 students to fish at the same time will be a challenge, mostly due to the presence of other anglers, but somebody might have a good locale to recommend....

I don't have any gear to donate, but I do have time and at least marginal skills in casting, presentation, and tying, in case any of that sort of help is ever needed. I live locally. Let me know. This is a great cause, and I'd be happy to help out in whatever ways I can....
@Shad , are you able to hook up with us tonight in Dupont at Farelli’s?

Shad

@Shad , are you able to hook up with us tonight in Dupont at Farelli’s?
Sorry I couldn't make it. Sounded like fun, but I had prior obligations (to my own kids).

How'd it go? I'm sure the company was good, and I seem to recall thinking Farelli's makes a good "pie."

Offer still stands to volunteer some time to the cause. If there's a future meeting/event, odds are I'll be able to make it. Otherwise, I can exchange contact info through a private thread any time.

Update! Although I haven’t found a bass pond for the kids to catch fish at, some of you were beyond generous to donate your books, materials, etc. to the class! The books have been programmed into the school library and will be there for generations! The materials and everything else is in the kids’ hands and they are loving every minute! Thank you all so much for the support! It’s amazing to be back volunteering at the school I attended years ago! I’ll share more photos soon!

Hello everyone,
Some of you know this but for others that don’t, I volunteer at Griffin Middle School (the school I also went to) teaching a fly fishing class for 7th and 8th graders. This class is offered everyday as a 7th period elective and is a huge hit! Some of our friends in the industry have helped out in so many ways and we can’t thank them enough. We have spent the past 3 months learning the ins and outs of fly tying as well as casting and entomology. The kids are unbelievable and fast learners! The PTO was gracious enough to donate money for several class fishing trips. We will be visiting a kids-only fishing pond in Lacey but are looking for a second place to fish. I’m hoping there is someone in the community with a private pond with small or large mouth bass for the kids to learn about proper fish handling as well as apply the skills they’ve been building this year. The only requirement is that it must be in relative proximity to Olympia, WA! It only takes one amazing memory to have these kids hooked for life! Please shoot me an email if you have any helpful information! Thank you! [email protected]
Thanks for an informative post. I think it will helpful for kids to learn fishing properly.

Latest posts