NFR 2019 Mariners

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Tacoma Rainiers have been getting my business 20:1 over games in Seattle for years now. I also live 2 hrs west of Seattle, and 1hr 15 minutes from Tacoma. That last 45 minutes up to watch Seattle flounder was rarely worth the extra drive and $. More so the last 10 years.

I go back to AAA baseball and the Spokane Indians in 1970-74. Always liked that level.
Definitely fun to watch that level.
I grew up just blocks from Cheney Stadium and got to watch the Gaints, Cubs and Twins farm clubs.
It was fun to get to see guys come through who would later play in the majors.
I was hanging around at batting practice one day and Tom Kelly of the Twins walked over and gave me a bat.
I also spent a lot of time up on Tightwad Hill chasing home run balls if anyone knows where that is located.
Old Cheney Stadium was a great place to hang out as a kid in the 60’s and 70’s.
I bought my first beer there when I was 13.....my mom wasn’t too amused when I got home but my dad had a good laugh about it.
SF

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
While working on other things through the day, I used my mlb.com subscription to listen to several ballgames. The announcers for the Red Sox were ragging on the abysmal Mariner bullpen for most of the games. They said that it was embarrassingly bad - not a profound conclusion.

While there is something special (and throwback, perhaps even quaint) about minor league baseball (used to go to a Durham Bulls game or two every year when I lived in North Carolina), it is not played at the same level as major leagues - the best players (Mariners excepted....) who have honed their craft for years.

Steve

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
I think fans in general expect way too much from their professional sports teams. It boils down to some simple math. In baseball and football there are only so many A+++ players to go around. Fans scream at their team to spend the money to bring in the best and in the next breath complain about how much it costs to go to a game or buy a TV subscription. At the end of the day a pro franchise is a "for profit" organization.

Why are there more minor league teams than majors? Again, simple math. There are more not ready for prime time players than prime time players. Some players will spend their whole career in the minors just filling out teams where better talent can work on their game trying to get to the majors. Not every player in the minors is being "developed". Most are there as support for the few in development, of which an even fewer number will make it.

The same goes for upper management in pro sports. Everybody thinks they can do a better job running a team. How has that worked out for the meddling owners like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder? Anyone remember the woeful Yankees from decades past. People good at running teams are in an even shorter supply than good talent. Recognizing world class talent is harder than being world class talent. If it wasn't John Elway would have found his QB a long time ago. On the field of play, even the best talent doesn't win every game. Weird shit will still happen that costs you a game. Ask the Saints about that.

If you just gotta root for a winner, then pick one and root for 'em...ain't nobody stopping you.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
When I was young, I used to go to the Bremerton Blue Jackets games. I had a friend back then that was the Bat boy. He got me into a few games. But I used to follow the team as for up and coming players. They would go from there to the Seattle AAA team . But where they went from there was anybodies guess. I was 11 or 12 years old at the time.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Definitely fun to watch that level.
I grew up just blocks from Cheney Stadium and got to watch the Gaints, Cubs and Twins farm clubs.
It was fun to get to see guys come through who would later play in the majors.
I was hanging around at batting practice one day and Tom Kelly of the Twins walked over and gave me a bat.
I also spent a lot of time up on Tightwad Hill chasing home run balls if anyone knows where that is located.
Old Cheney Stadium was a great place to hang out as a kid in the 60’s and 70’s.
I bought my first beer there when I was 13.....my mom wasn’t too amused when I got home but my dad had a good laugh about it.
SF
Do you still have that bat.

Yes! Tightwad Hill!

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Do you still have that bat.

Yes! Tightwad Hill!
JoJo,
Unfortunately, I don't.
We used to use that bat when we played ball in the summer at Heidelberg Field.
Not sure what happened to it. We used to climb the fence to play in there all summer long.
You'd probably get arrested for doing that now, lol.
SF

Great come from behind, walk-off win! Life still there, for at least one night.

First game I have seen in weeks. Vogelbach ties it in 8th with 3 run HR.
Mariners go down one in 10th on HR by A's.

Bottom of 10th, Mariners down to last strike, 2 outs with runner on 2nd, back to back hits for walk off.

Nice Win!

nb_ken

A good read from Art Thiel with many readers comments below the story.

Art says, "The Mariners know the bottom like a 300 pound Halibut! "

http://sportspressnw.com/2243253/20...medium=featured&utm_campaign=featured-colored
Wow, is Art Thiel still around? He used 3 definitions of the word 'mean' in a sentence (and giggled about it) but also managed references to Steve McQueen, Chevy El Caminos and Paul Abbot. You know, things that haven't been with us since the internet arrived. Art imitating life. (Hee hee.)

KerryS

Ignored Member
They suck. This is what Dipoto and the owners delivered to Seattle after their fire sale and payroll savings of over 60 million. I guess with that kind of savings they don’t need fans.

Rethinking whether I will go see a game. Can’t bring myself to spending a few hundred dollars to watch the Mariners’ boat sink to the bottom of Elliot Bay so the owners can make a few more bucks.

We should start some sort of wager or pool. How many wins will they finish the season with. In recent times the best I can find is the 2003 Tigers with a 43 - 119 record. Flat out horrible. I’ll go with 60 max wins this season. Giving up the runs they have been is not going to improve any time soon IMO

Latest posts