NFR 2019 Mariners

IveofIone

To see baseball played at a high level try to get a look at Cody Bellinger of the Dodgers. He is crushing the baseball and has the sweetest swing I have seen since Ted Williams. But the best part is his throwing arm. Tonight he threw out 2 runners from deep in the right field corner. The second one at 3rd base was one of the most amazing throws I have ever seen. A perfect strike from the right field corner into the 3rd baseman's glove to tag the runner 1/2 inch before he touched the bag. That wouldn't be plausible in a Hollywood movie but I saw it in real time and it was damned impressive. Bellinger is becoming a human highlight reel.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Bill Buckner, overlooked, MLB great, passed away.

.289 career average with 2700+ hits, and a lot of hustle.

As a small kid in 1969 and 70, I watched him play minor league AAA baseball in Spokane with teammates like Bobby Valentine, and under manager Tom Lasorda. We loved him.

Buckner was a solid player, a batting champion, and our family has watched his career and life for 50 years. RIP!

Spokane Indians Buckner #12, left you have Garvey, Valentine, Lasorda. Other two, not sure.
artsculture2-1-11bbb40e8f8f52ce.jpg

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
@IveofIone I am with you, Bellinger looks incredible, big guy, 6'4", with a looping undercut swing, sort of Darryl Strawberry-like.

The proof will be in the post season. He has hit .172 in 31 career post season games and he hit barely .100 last year in the playoffs with many untimely K's.

Anxious to see how he does and if he can keep this up. Doubting more will run on him : )

Last edited:

nb_ken

I heard this yesterday. In the 1968 draft, Dodgers got:
Davey Lopes
Bobby Valentine
Bill Buckner
Doyle Alexander
Steve Garvey
Ron Cey

Holy guacamole.

In that draft, Dodgers took a total of 15 players who eventually played in the majors. In general, 2 or 3 in a single year is considered a great draft year.

Also heard that Buckner never, ever, struck out 3 times in a game.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Davey Lopes
Bobby Valentine
Bill Buckner
Doyle Alexander
Steve Garvey
Ron Cey

Holy guacamole.

In that draft, Dodgers took a total of 15 players who eventually played in the majors. In general, 2 or 3 in a single year is considered a great draft year.

Crazy good draft.
I went to HS with the Penguin’s brother and remember watching some of them when they played again Tacoma in the PCL for the Spokane Indians and Albuquerque Dukes.
SF

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
@Stonefish is on it! Cey's Union, Ron Cey's dad's gas station, still has the big glass sign/tower right off of I-5. Tom Paciorek, Doyle Alexander, Davey Lopes, Bill Russell, Billy Buckner, Bill Singer, yes, a great team of future MLBers, but perhaps our favorite was Spokane Indians catcher Joe Ferguson, who went on to catch for the Dodgers. He lost his full-time job to Steve Yeager a few years in, so the big burly guy moved to the outfield at times.

Ferguson made one of the most famous throws in playoff history during the 1974 Bay Series, World Series. Centerfielder Jimmy Wynne had an injured throwing arm...the rest is a bang bang play at home.

Real baseball, hard collisions and no replay !

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
That was a laser!

Didn’t Paciorek have a stint with the Mariners back in the day?
Maybe he can come out of retirement and help them.

Hard to believe all those guys are approaching or already in their 70’s.
Damn time flies.
SF

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Yes, Tom Paciorek played some decent baseball for the Mariners, and had a long broadcasting career.

Nickamed "Wimpy" by Lasorda for his love of hamburger over steaks, that *#&#!! awful announcer "Hawk" Harrelson always said "Wimpy" this and that, a hundred times a game when Paciorek shared the booth with him, broadcasting White Sox games

tom_paciorek_autograph.jpg

In a crazy/meaningless baseball stat-best Sport for it, his brother, John, had a MLB perfect career 1.000 batting average. He was 3-3 with 2 walks. Played last day of the season, and never came back.

"John Paciorek, who was the starting right fielder, began the day with a walk in the second inning. He then had a single in the fourth inning, which drove in Rusty Staub and Bob Aspromonte. After singling and again bringing home Aspromonte in the fifth, Paciorek had a walk in the sixth, and ended the day with a leadoff single in the eighth. In total, he went to the plate five times and hit three singles and had two walks, scoring four runs en route to a 13–4 Houston victory over the New York Mets. He had a perfect major league career batting average and on-base percentage of 1.000 as a result of his performance that day, something no one else with as many plate appearances as Paciorek has done."

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Seattle Mariners have announced a new Give Away Night, they have combined two together.

It is a disgraced losers Brown Bag/Ichiro disguised as Bobby Valentine disguised Night, all in one !

inchii.jpg

bobby valentine.jpg

sportsman

Davey Lopes
Bobby Valentine
Bill Buckner
Doyle Alexander
Steve Garvey
Ron Cey

Holy guacamole.

Small wonder the Dodgers were so great for 10 years after that draft. The M's sure could use scouts like that...minor league scouts are the unsung heroes of some great teams.

Peyton00

They may hit the bottom....its gonna take a few more losses, but they have real potential to be the worst team in baseball.

They may even get the record for most errors when the reg season ends.

Latest posts