NFR 2019 Mariners

KerryS

Ignored Member
I said Encarnación would be next after they traded Bruce. It is all about the money. The Mariners’ ownership just put another 20 mil back in their pockets. I would say they have saved over 100 million in payroll over last year.

Looks like Bruce is traded. Rumor is the Mariners get an unnamed minor leaguer and cash. Bruce’s salary was 22 mil thru next year. More cash for the ownership. Who’s next? Encarnacion? Another 22 million dollar player that if traded for a cheap minor leaguer would give the owners some more pocket money. Could it be anymore obvious what the priorities are?

nb_ken

Have you heard what the got in exchange for Edwin Encarnacion? I haven't.

You're not expecting them to win this year are you? They've been up front about that. I'm kinda glad their bullpen sucks. (And they do suck. Epicly.) Young guys contribute, put up some runs. Starter maybe gives a good effort. Then three guys you never head of give up 7 runs in the 7th and 8th. Good game. Nice loss. Move down in the standings, up in the draft.

They were going to lose 90 games with EE. They'll lose at least that without him. Shed a little salary and hopefully get something in return. Again, I'm almost glad. It's about time. I'm tired of 80-win teams every year. Tear it down and put it back together. Might work, might not, but what we had wasn't working.

In the meantime, you can watch Mark Chapman play third base. Best hot-corner fielder since Brooks Robinson. He's playing against the M's right now. Can't see him anywhere else this weekend.

nb_ken

And it sucks that he went to the Yankees. I really got to like Edwin Encarnacion while he was here. I was looking forward to rooting for him with a better team. Kinda like Nelson Cruz with the Twin. (I was about to say except when he's playing against the M's. This year, though, I still rooted for Nelson.)

But the Yankees? Probably can't root for Edwin Encarnacion any more.

IveofIone

The Mariners are a pretty good farm club for the Majors . Huh.
Over the years the M's have traded away an all star team including some hall of famers. Way back they sent Adam Jones away and over the years Griffey, The Big Unit, several outstanding pitchers-one that started a World Series game after he left, several guys with pitching talent that never developed in the M's system but flourished elsewhere. They had Beltre-another hall of famer and they let go guys that could hit like Cano, Cruz and others that I can't remember. But what I do remember is that they always manage to get very little back for their trades. As far as I know the Player to be Named Later has never become an All Star or contributed significantly to the Mariner fortunes. They may make a lot of money as a business venture but as baseball owners they are just dickless.

KerryS

Ignored Member
If Dipoto manages to put together a winning team I’ll change my tune. For over fifteen years the Mariners have mostly been bottom feeders. Dipoto comes in promising to build a better team and then proceeds to make more trades and deals than any other GM in baseball and for what? The Mariners have just about traded or outright released every player worth a damn in the past 5 years. For all of his talk and deals Dipoto has managed to give the fans another bottom feeding team.

With Encarnacion gone we will see Vogelbach on display at first. Vogelbach or Santana will be next.

Last edited:

Old Man

Just an Old Man
If Dipoto manages to put together a winning team I’ll change my tune. For over fifteen years the Mariners have mostly been bottom feeders. Dipoto comes in promising to build a better team and then proceeds to make more trades and deals than any other GM in baseball and for what? The Mariners have just about traded or outright released every player worth a damn in the past 5 years. For all of his talk and deals Dipoto has managed to give the fans another bottom feeding team.

With Encarnacion gone we will see Vogelbach on display at first. Vogelbach or Santana will be next.

Now they just have to get rid of Seager, and it will be complete.

nb_ken

Yeah, he's breaking up that post-season juggernaut Jack Z built. I miss the good old days too.

Vogelbach and Santana will be around for a few years. Haniger, Smith, Crawford too. Maybe Narvaez. Probably Marco and Kikuchi. Everyone else is fair game. Who'll be the next guy gone? Probably Dee Gordon. Ryon Healy, maybe. Cupboard is pretty bare.

They can't trade Seager. They're paying him too much and he's putting up Zunino-like numbers. Dipoto did manage to unload Cano. That was a good move. From what I hear, they got their best prospect of the winter out of that deal.

Nick Clayton

Bruce and Edwin were destined to be gone before the trade deadline from the start. Would have been nice to get a bit more in return but that was pretty much a foregone conclusion from the second they acquired them. No way a rebuilding team hangs onto a couple expensive, aging players even though they both played fairly well with the Ms.

As far as Edwin being their only power hitter, I'm pretty sure Volgelbach falls into that category.

I don't like seeing a losing team any more than anyone else, however they stated pretty clearly during the off season that they were starting over and the team would pretty much suck. I'd rather they at least make an attempt to start over with young players, rebuild their farm system by trading vets, and at least have a slim chance of being worth watching in the next several years than stare at another team who is filled with aging vets and lower talent youngsters who flirt with .500 ball for another season with zero hope for the future. Not saying it'll work out but at least they are trying to do what they stated they would.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Bruce and Edwin were destined to be gone before the trade deadline from the start. Would have been nice to get a bit more in return but that was pretty much a foregone conclusion from the second they acquired them. No way a rebuilding team hangs onto a couple expensive, aging players even though they both played fairly well with the Ms.

As far as Edwin being their only power hitter, I'm pretty sure Volgelbach falls into that category.

I don't like seeing a losing team any more than anyone else, however they stated pretty clearly during the off season that they were starting over and the team would pretty much suck. I'd rather they at least make an attempt to start over with young players, rebuild their farm system by trading vets, and at least have a slim chance of being worth watching in the next several years than stare at another team who is filled with aging vets and lower talent youngsters who flirt with .500 ball for another season with zero hope for the future. Not saying it'll work out but at least they are trying to do what they stated they would.
Dipoto said the same thing 5 years ago when he first got here that he said over the winter. He made a flurry of trades and deals then just as he has been doing since the end of last season. At some point it becomes smoke and mirrors.

nb_ken

So I been watching the M's so you don't have to. Once you've given up hope, it's pretty easy to look at it as a science project.

I see promise. M's got some kids who can play. Kid's who are fun to watch.

Domingo Santana is the real deal. It was painful to watch him play left field, and when Haniger went down and they moved him to right, I figured that would make him legendary for his awfulness. But instead, it helped. He's not bad out there. Good, even. Something about the glove hand on the line side. He looks comfortable in right.

I don't give a shit, though. Guy hits everybody. He leads the league in RBIs. He's clutch, consistently. Play him in left. Play him in ... I don't care. Bats play.

Mallex Smith and JP Crawford ("Patches", maybe) are athletes. They're really raw right now, but when they look good, they look great.

And Vogelbach. I'm still a little concerned he'll end up being Bucky Jacobson. But I'm coming around on him.

Throw in Haniger and maybe Narvaez and that's a lineup you build on.

They got no pitching, so all that stuff above won't matter until they address that.

I see Marco as a solid #3 guy in the future. They keep talking about how he's better than that, but I haven't seen it yet. He comes out with nothing too often.

Kikuchi can be electric. Sometimes he's just analog, though. He needs his best stuff every outing. A little less will get Ham Fighters out consistently, but this is the bigs.

A million years ago I played fantasy baseball. Used to get the draft magazines at the drugstore and pour through all the stats and ratings. They'd do a writeup of some 300 pitchers. Top guys would get a page. Bottom 250 would get a sentence. At like 225, I read, "Joe Smith, Throws Right. Was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident in the offseason."

And he's at 225. He's dead and there are 75 guys worse than him. The Mariners bullpen is well represented with the modern-day 75. I hope they're addressing this outside the view of Root Sports. They got nothing to build on, though.

I don't know what to think about Servais and staff. He gets to run Mike Leake out there every five days. That's about the only no-brain thing he gets to do in his job, and they should be taking that away from him in the next couple of weeks. Tough job running the M's this year.

He does have the makings of a good, young lineup, but there are a lot of rough edges. He's only got 2 pitchers worth anything going forward, but those 2 should be better than he's got them playing right now.

I expect to see progress. That's how I'm going to judge this season. A good measure is defense. Fix that!!! They've got good athletes out there. Teach'm to fucking field. If that happens we talk about what's next. If not, maybe we look for a coaching staff who can. If Dee Gordon wants that job, I'd back that.

Wins and losses don't matter this year. I'm actually rooting for them to lose and the bullpen takes care of me most nights. I was pissed they took 3 of 4 from Baltimore. Cost them 2 games in the standings. If you're gonna finish in the bottom 5, might as well be the bottom one. That's how they got Griffey.

Latest posts