NFR 2019 Mariners

KerryS

Ignored Member
Wow.... near perfect game for Leake! He'll be traded by the end of next week...
My turn to build dinner last night and as I prepared the meal I decided to tune into the Mariners game. At first not much interest but as the game progressed, the offense coming alive I started paying more attention to the game. By the seventh I was rooting for Leake. Beautifully pitched game. Two outs away from perfection. I’m sad for Leake for not getting there but if he had pulled it off the Mariner management would have milked it for everything they could which in a sick way I snicker a little knowing they can’t.

IveofIone

Somewhat Mariner related. There is a huge difference in leagues between the NL and the AL.The last place teams in the NL divisions are an average of about 16 games behind the division leaders. In the AL the average for last place teams is over 29 games behind. Even more dramatic is the number of runs not being scored by the last place teams in each league. Last place teams in the NL have scored 109 runs less than the opposition while last place teams in the AL have scored 482 fewer runs! Clearly there is no parity here and it begs the question-why? I suspect that the bull shit designated hitter rule has something to do with it but I'm not analytical enough to figure out how. Any theories?

KerryS

Ignored Member
Somewhat Mariner related. There is a huge difference in leagues between the NL and the AL.The last place teams in the NL divisions are an average of about 16 games behind the division leaders. In the AL the average for last place teams is over 29 games behind. Even more dramatic is the number of runs not being scored by the last place teams in each league. Last place teams in the NL have scored 109 runs less than the opposition while last place teams in the AL have scored 482 fewer runs! Clearly there is no parity here and it begs the question-why? I suspect that the bull shit designated hitter rule has something to do with it but I'm not analytical enough to figure out how. Any theories?
I would think it would be the other way around with the AL scoring 109 less runs and the NL at 482. The designated hitter replaces a poor hitter in the pitcher with a supposedly good hitter which I would assume makes the offense more potent. Perhaps I’m looking at this wrong.

IveofIone

It's complex Kerry. I only have snippets of ideas and a few flimsy statistics, not enough to generate a real theory with. But I wonder about the AL being top heavy with aging veterans that gravitate towards the league with the designated hitter. Usually they can extend their careers and hence make millions more than being DFA'ed in the NL. But the reason these guys are DH's is that their skill set has deteriorated to the point that they can no longer throw, run or field but can still hit a little. They get high salaries and tend to sign with the wealthier clubs and that results in a few teams at the top skimming the best of the older guys. You can see the results in the standings, a few AL teams doing very well but many are just abysmal, a couple even worse than the Mariners.

If I was an aging veteran I don't think they could pay me enough to sign with Seattle, Detroit, Baltimore, etc. Knowing the shabby reputation of Seattle for instance with their poor track record of ownership indifference, poor management, questionable trades and the worst travel schedule in the league would make me want to play anywhere else.

I would rather see the money spent on good young players that have a future, not aging players with a past. If that was done in both leagues and they just shit canned the DH I think parity would return to some degree.

Salmo_g

The Mariners aren't cheap! I just heard they're buying a newer model used school bus to travel to their away games.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Kyle Seager, hitting .185 at $19 million per year, called Mike Zunino for hitting tips.

It is that bad.

Edgar Martinez blocked his number. Ken Griffey Jr turned his hat back around and quite smiling when asked about Seager.

If he his traded (hahaha and lol), he can automatically kick in his $15,000,000 player option for 2022 and that new team has no recourse. He gets the money.
Ofcourse, I am sure the Mariners would basically pay 95% of the contract while he played elsewhere. NO one is going to pay $1 million a year for his numbers.

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 8.33.21 PM.png

KerryS

Ignored Member
So, who gets traded? I thought that Vogelbach or Santana would go. Not sure Vogelbach is that desirable and Santana is injured but might still have value. Certainly other teams are looking for pitching so Gonzales who pitched another good game today could catch the eye of someone. Certainly either Narvaez or Murphy could go. Everyone needs a catcher that can hit. Beckham or Crawford both playing decent ball and both are versatile. Perhaps even Nola, another very versatile player that is hitting well. Who is going to go? Dipoto is looking to save money and wishes he could trade Seager but knows that will cost more in the long run so it comes down to who is going to cost him more money to keep in the future. My bet is Gonzales goes and so does Crawford.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
How in the hell can they rebuild if they keep trading away their half way good players. Gonzales is getting the Minimum in salary. Why trade away their one good pitcher. I don't think that Felix is ever going to come back. If he does he will still suck.

KerryS

Ignored Member
How in the hell can they rebuild if they keep trading away their half way good players. Gonzales is getting the Minimum in salary. Why trade away their one good pitcher. I don't think that Felix is ever going to come back. If he does he will still suck.
He is cheap now and next year relatively speaking. After next year he is eligible for arbitration. Trade him now while his salary is low and his value is high. The Mariner way, sometimes.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Kyle Seager, hitting .185 at $19 million per year, called Mike Zunino for hitting tips.
Seager a few days ago was hitting .363 going back to July with 9 homers and 20 RBIs. He has added a couple homers and a half dozen RBIs since. Guess those Zunino tips are working. Seager in the past few weeks has been one of the hottest hitters in the majors.

Albula

swollen member
And he just hit another dinger today. Funny how this game works. Maybe that is a part of what makes it special.

Latest posts