NFR 2019 Mariners

Divad

Catch & Release
Can we drop Felix please? His drain on the salary cap is quite substantial, especially for a player who seems to be injured after every failed outing and plays in AAA.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Can we drop Felix please? His drain on the salary cap is quite substantial, especially for a player who seems to be injured after every failed outing and plays in AAA.
He will be pitching this weekend. You going to the game?

Divad

Catch & Release
I wasn’t planning on going but you can be sure I’ll be watching. I used to be such a fan, I hope he can turn his slump around to his career starting prowess.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Seager a few days ago was hitting .363 going back to July with 9 homers and 20 RBIs. He has added a couple homers and a half dozen RBIs since. Guess those Zunino tips are working. Seager in the past few weeks has been one of the hottest hitters in the majors.
Have been watching his numbers rise, unreal!

Too bad they weren't during a part of the season that counted, but, hey, maybe it carries over to next year.

Last edited:

KerryS

Ignored Member
A typical Felix outing 5 2/3 innings, 3 hits, 2 runs, leaves the game with a lead and the bullpen blows it. Everything is right in Mariner universe.

Seager still killing it at the plate. Nothing from the nay sayers.

Jake Dogfish

Salary cap?
Mariners are losing by choice. Some here buy the hype and actually call it a strategy.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Seager still killing it at the plate. Nothing from the nay sayers.
Oh, I am here to admit my guilt for badmouthing Seager, it was easy when he was hitting .180 and getting $19 guaranteed today, and for the next couple years. Up .70 points is nothing to sneeze at. Pretty impressive rebound. Hell, monumental numbers last 4-6 weeks or so! I was pulling for him.

Infact, I am here to TAKE CREDIT for his upsurge : ). Who knew he read this forum??

I still would like to see him do it early in the season, or when he got back from injury, but atleast he is not making me fear his coming back next year and, if he can carry this over to the first half next season, he will be the frontrunner for next year's token Seattle Mariners All Star : )

Last edited:

KerryS

Ignored Member
I still would like to see him do it early in the season, or when he got back from injury, but he atleast he is not making me fear his coming back next year and, if he can carry this over to the first half next season, he will be the frontrunner for next year's token Seattle Mariners All Star : )
I think it is damn impressive. He was in the beginning of completely changing his approach to hitting when he was injured missing a good portion of spring training where one was expected to make those changes and adjustments. Came back from injury mid season continuing to work on his approach to hitting then finally hits on it and starts knocking the cover off the ball. The whole time still performing on defense like the gold glove third baseman that he is.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
@KerryS watch me do this again ! Daniel Vogelbach, since July 1st, is hitting only 22 for 132 at the plate. That is a .167 average for pretty much the last 2 months.

Let's see if I can reverse jinx him like I did with Seager ! He needs anything to get going.

Rough 2nd half.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
The Mariners suck Period. That pitcher they got from Japan, sure pulled the wool over their eyes. He sucks big time. He likes to see his pitches fly over the wall.

KerryS

Ignored Member
@KerryS watch me do this again ! Daniel Vogelbach, since July 1st, is hitting only 22 for 132 at the plate. That is a .167 average for pretty much the last 2 months.

Let's see if I can reverse jinx him like I did with Seager ! He needs anything to get going.

Rough 2nd half.
They should have traded Vogelbach before the deadline came.

IveofIone

Over the years I have complained about obese umpires and thought there should be some kind of fitness protocol for them to have the job. The idea of some old fat slob behind the plate calling balls and strikes that doesn't have the basic mobility to adjust his vision from one side of the plate to the other flies in the face of reason. Add to that giving them the authority to eject a young player with much better vision that questions a call is bogus as well. This year I have watched numerous pitches that were neck high or ankle low or off the plate by several inches be called strikes and guys get thrown out-along with managers-who disputed those errant calls. Time for electronic balls and strikes. I am starting to view umpires in the same light as steam engine firemen after diesel locomotives replaced steam-unnecessary.

Yesterday proved one of my points about obese umpires. Cowboy Joe West-who is actually a pretty good balls and strikes umpire but far from perfect-was knocked down by a play at the plate and fell on top of one of the players. Joe, who is horribly fat, couldn't get up and his massive weight had the player pinned to the ground. Other players had to lift him off as he was unable to move himself.

Okay, I've seen enough of this crap. Players are being paid hundreds of millions of dollars to come to the ballpark and hit, millions of fans pay billions of dollars a year to watch those games and see their favorites hit. When a player, regardless of his salary, is struck out on pitches that never cross the plate he has been cheated and the paying fans along with him. Then the league backs the umpires that make the bad calls, there is no discipline for being a bad umpire. Angel Hernandez is still working---I rest my case.

Remember the height gauge at Disneyland that prevented you from getting on a ride if you were too short? I think baseball needs to develop a width gauge for umpires-if they can't walk through they can't be an umpire. Or a template like NASCAR uses to insure that every car is shaped exactly alike no matter what make. Perhaps a circumference ring that they had to fit through to qualify. When bulk impedes competence it is time for a change.

I realize that this is a Mariner thread so speaking of the Mariners.....well, nobody is.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Wade Leblanc used to be a starter and now he's a reliever. He really sucks at his new position. It's almost like he's pitching batting practice. I wonder if they are going to lose 100 games. They are sure trying to.

Latest posts