NFR 2019 Mariners

KerryS

Ignored Member
Over the years I have complained about obese umpires and thought there should be some kind of fitness protocol for them to have the job. The idea of some old fat slob behind the plate calling balls and strikes that doesn't have the basic mobility to adjust his vision from one side of the plate to the other flies in the face of reason. Add to that giving them the authority to eject a young player with much better vision that questions a call is bogus as well. This year I have watched numerous pitches that were neck high or ankle low or off the plate by several inches be called strikes and guys get thrown out-along with managers-who disputed those errant calls. Time for electronic balls and strikes. I am starting to view umpires in the same light as steam engine firemen after diesel locomotives replaced steam-unnecessary.

Yesterday proved one of my points about obese umpires. Cowboy Joe West-who is actually a pretty good balls and strikes umpire but far from perfect-was knocked down by a play at the plate and fell on top of one of the players. Joe, who is horribly fat, couldn't get up and his massive weight had the player pinned to the ground. Other players had to lift him off as he was unable to move himself.

Okay, I've seen enough of this crap. Players are being paid hundreds of millions of dollars to come to the ballpark and hit, millions of fans pay billions of dollars a year to watch those games and see their favorites hit. When a player, regardless of his salary, is struck out on pitches that never cross the plate he has been cheated and the paying fans along with him. Then the league backs the umpires that make the bad calls, there is no discipline for being a bad umpire. Angel Hernandez is still working---I rest my case.

Remember the height gauge at Disneyland that prevented you from getting on a ride if you were too short? I think baseball needs to develop a width gauge for umpires-if they can't walk through they can't be an umpire. Or a template like NASCAR uses to insure that every car is shaped exactly alike no matter what make. Perhaps a circumference ring that they had to fit through to qualify. When bulk impedes competence it is time for a change.

I realize that this is a Mariner thread so speaking of the Mariners.....well, nobody is.
Perhaps a one size fits all chest protector. Size it for a 6’2” 180 lb. person or similar. After getting all that fat that sticks out around the chest protector hit by a few 95 mph foul tips a dozen or so times maybe they would lose some weight or outright quit.

IveofIone

Starting Felix is like putting recaps on a Ferrari. Why do that? Expecting him to perform at 33 like he did 10 years ago is a fools errand, I'm sure they could get more for the 25 mil a year they are paying him.

C'mon man-you are washed up-stop embarrassing yourself.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
It's really too bad Howard Schultz didn't own the Mariners rather then the Sonics and Clay Bennent wasn't a baseball fan.
The Oklahoma Dry Land Mariners has a nice seaworthy ring to the name......
SF

KerryS

Ignored Member
Starting Felix is like putting recaps on a Ferrari. Why do that? Expecting him to perform at 33 like he did 10 years ago is a fools errand, I'm sure they could get more for the 25 mil a year they are paying him.

C'mon man-you are washed up-stop embarrassing yourself.
Felix is done. This is his last season as a Mariner and I doubt anyone will sign him for next year. He might get an invite or two to try out at spring training next year. It will be a little interesting to see if he shows up for anybody.

I still think he goes on IR for the rest of this year. Dipoto will use the extra roster position to bring up another player to showcase for the rest of the league.

Last edited:

IveofIone

In other news, Dave Drombowski was just fired from the Red Sox. All he did for the Sox was take them from worst to first. The M's could use a GM like that, one that actually gets things done now instead of being in a perpetual rebuild mode.

Remember Eldin-the wacko painter on the old Murphy Brown sit com? He seemed to be a live-in painter that never got anything done. M's management reminds me of him-always painting but never able to peel off the masking tape and show a finished product.

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
In other news, Dave Drombowski was just fired from the Red Sox. All he did for the Sox was take them from worst to first. The M's could use a GM like that, one that actually gets things done now instead of being in a perpetual rebuild mode.

Remember Eldin-the wacko painter on the old Murphy Brown sit com? He seemed to be a live-in painter that never got anything done. M's management reminds me of him-always painting but never able to peel off the masking tape and show a finished product.
First, great Murphy Brown reference. That will confuse anyone under 45, maybe older.
Second. Be careful what you wish for. Under Drombowski's "leadership", the Red Sox are at the top of the luxury tax list and stripped the minor league system See https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/09/sports/baseball/dave-dombrowski-fired-red-sox.html. The Mariners are NOT in the same league as the Red Sox (or Dodgers or Yankees) in terms of revenue. Drombowski was advocating an unsustainable model (think Felix Hernandez this year for the M's = Chris Sale).
I know, I know. Mariners fans would gladly be in last place for 20 years (or longer) just for a shot at winning the World Series. The Red Sox owner decided that he would not.
Steve

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
First, great Murphy Brown reference. That will confuse anyone under 45, maybe older.
Second. Be careful what you wish for. Under Drombowski's "leadership", the Red Sox are at the top of the luxury tax list and stripped the minor league system See https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/09/sports/baseball/dave-dombrowski-fired-red-sox.html. The Mariners are NOT in the same league as the Red Sox (or Dodgers or Yankees) in terms of revenue. Drombowski was advocating an unsustainable model (think Felix Hernandez this year for the M's = Chris Sale).
I know, I know. Mariners fans would gladly be in last place for 20 years (or longer) just for a shot at winning the World Series. The Red Sox owner decided that he would not.
Steve
You nailed that one Steve. Dombrowski would be the single worst thing to happen to the M's. He's never seen a prospect that he was not willing to trade. The Players he got were mostly done with player capital drafted and coached up by Cherington's regime. DiPoto seems like he is on the way to turning the Mariners abysmal farm system around.

Go Sox,
cds

KerryS

Ignored Member
You nailed that one Steve. Dombrowski would be the single worst thing to happen to the M's. He's never seen a prospect that he was not willing to trade. The Players he got were mostly done with player capital drafted and coached up by Cherington's regime. DiPoto seems like he is on the way to turning the Mariners abysmal farm system around.

Go Sox,
cds
Yeah, Dipoto has a wonderful record turning teams around. He did have one of his Angel teams make the playoffs only to get swept by the Royals. That’s it. So far he has taken a bad team and made them worse. The xspurts say the Mariners farm system is now in the top ten in the majors. Let see if it translates to wins on the field. I have my doubts.

IveofIone

Hard to criticize Dombrowski for 4 division titles and 2
World Series and compare him to the Mariners in the same breath. So what if he left the team bereft of future talent-he won when no one else could. Given the choice of Boom and Bust like the Red Sox or perennial Bust like the Mariners I'm sure most Mariner fans would like to have at least a little Boom along with their Bust.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
The year when they won 116 games I thought that they were to go a long way. but they Marinered it in the playoffs. They have been going backwards ever since. The game was going their way until the 7th inning then the roof fell in. I watched the big gun(his name escaped me) do nothing every time he came up. Take the first two pitches and then swing at a bad pitch. Good Batting average. What is it .213

Peyton00

Mariners are the 5/6th worse team in the league. Empty seats behind home plate, they can't even give away the best seats in the house.
Year in and year out....a horrible mess.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
The Mariners always play their best ball in September.
The pressure of trying to avoid losing 100 games far exceeds the pressure of a drive to the playoffs.......
SF

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
Hard to criticize Dombrowski for 4 division titles and 2
World Series and compare him to the Mariners in the same breath. So what if he left the team bereft of future talent-he won when no one else could. Given the choice of Boom and Bust like the Red Sox or perennial Bust like the Mariners I'm sure most Mariner fans would like to have at least a little Boom along with their Bust.
The difference is that he did it with talent that was there from Epstein and Cherington. Then he traded a ton of young talent that has turned into major league talent that was drafted and developed by Epstein and Cherrington. It is not hard to build a winner with a winning roster and a stocked farm system and plenty of money.

He got canned because he started to run the team like the Mariners have in the last 20 years rather than how his predecessors did.

It is a simple game.

Develop talent = win
Don't develop talent = lose

It's that simple. The Mariners suck because they don't develop talent. Dipoto has not been in charge long enough to make it his fault. Dombo did a poor job developing his own talent. He lost his job. He deserved to. He failed.

If in 2 years the M's suck you can say the same for DiPoto.

go sox,
cds

Latest posts