NFR 2019 Mariners

The T.O. Show

Buenos Hatches Ese
Eh, I disagree. The Mariners are the cheapest show in town. These games are never sold out so there are always cheap ticket options in the secondary market. Walk into Sluggers after the 1st inning and you can buy seats from the scalpers for $5-$10 a pop. Done it many many times. Parking is typically $10-$20 within a few blocks, or the Sounder train takes you practically right to the stadium if you don't live in Seattle. You can bring your own food, so your "concession" expense can be literally whatever you want it to be. Beer is expensive, but I'd challenge you to find any pro sports venue with cheap alcohol.

Edit: Just for reference, you can probably multiply all of those expenses by a factor of 5 for Sounders games, and 10 for Hawks games. Parking for concerts (and other events) at WaMu Theater or either of the stadiums is also typically way more expensive than for an M's game.

I'll be at opening day and probably dozens of other games this season. If they suck, then they suck. They've sucked since I was in middle school, but I still have fun going to the games. I do have sympathy for kids who aren't old enough to remember a good Mariners squad though. I'm not sure how much of a baseball fan I would be today if I hadn't grown up playing little league and idolizing guys like Griffey, Edgar, Buhner, etc.

Last edited:
Some of us are spoiled and saw old legends in person like Roberto Clemente, Willie Mays, the Reggie Jacksons ..on and on, play at truly cool ballparks like Dodger stadium under constant 85 degree days (I miss the cold weather days while inside the Kingdome, actually). Griffey's rookie year and emergence was special.
ARod's first full year, too.

It is MLB ball, they are all great players, but with HD TV now, and 4 hour drives.. traffic jams..

I like batting practice more than the games and you rarely get in before they are done. Edgar and Olerud putting on bat control clinics during BP, hitting opposite field line drives with ease. Old days in the Kingdome, you could try and barehand homers in batting practice-I did successfully.

Now, they keep you standing outside the gates. Boo !

One advantage of going to a game in person, instead of tv, you might get a chance to catch Rick Rizz's toupee, or see Simms fall out of the press box..that one is for @IveofIone

I have a bad case of oldmanitus ;)

Last edited:

teedub

IMHO (I grew up under the spell of Jack Brickhouse - Cubs) the Mariners could not justify to me keeping Dave Sims in his chair with any explanation what so ever. Blowers is OK for an ex player. Buhner is humorous from time to time, but Dave Sims is not even that good at basketball and he has no "cred" doing baseball.

I think Jerry DiPoto traded his car for a cat then shot the cat!

IMHO (I grew up under the spell of Jack Brickhouse - Cubs) the Mariners could not justify to me keeping Dave Sims in his chair with any explanation what so ever. Blowers is OK for an ex player. Buhner is humorous from time to time, but Dave Sims is not even that good at basketball and he has no "cred" doing baseball.

I think Jerry DiPoto traded his car for a cat then shot the cat!
And us grey tops really miss Vin Scilly.

I played BB since I was 10....Dad never pushed me even though he played semi-pro. From little league, pony, hs & American legion I realized one thing: I didn't care playing team sports any longer. Sandlot, tavern teams, jack & jill were fine. I live a half mile from Big Finn Park and while walking the dog I watch part of the little league games. That is when I enjoyed BB the most....not driving 3+ hours total to watch a perennial loser.

I don't follow them like I once did, but the M's will always hold a special place in my heart and I will never stop being a fan.

They might not be world beaters this year but they are young, scrappy, and fun to watch. I think they are trending in the right direction, but we'll see.

I like the whole rebuild thing. Our farm system absolutely SUCKED. We have a bunch of young talent now that is not that far off. We need to move a few more over paid vets for the youth movement.
I might go to one game though.. I can't stand the traffic or the crowds.

I like the whole rebuild thing. Our farm system absolutely SUCKED. We have a bunch of young talent now that is not that far off. We need to move a few more over paid vets for the youth movement.
I might go to one game though.. I can't stand the traffic or the crowds.
Sorry, but I digress. 3 years ago our farm system was the laughing stock of baseball. Farm systems do not turn around in 3 years...ever in the history of baseball. While we MAY have some decent talent coming up, there isn't even one player that a decent team would give us shit for. Reality sucks, as does the M's near future. Unless your judging them compared to the Padres. We should have dumped all of the overpaid, overweight( you should know who I'm referring to) & over the hill dead weight 2 years ago. But they still needed to sell tickets and we were stuck in some really asinine contracts. I do wish them the best for 2019 and might even listen to parts of some games travelling/returning around fishing trips. Just my uneducated and highly opinionated..as always..outlook. PS. The '5 year' rebuilding plan in baseball has been a joke in BB for at least 10 years....if you can't do it in 2-3 years then your the Padres or have ownership from another galaxcy. Just like us!

"Cano homers in first at bat for the Mets"

You knew that as coming, the ex-Mariner reverse curse lives on!

well, atleast he didn't have to hustle... cough. Will not miss his lazy arse on the base paths or his super relaxed, hot-dogging throws wide of first base... or having to keep track of how many outs there were.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I don't mind watching it. But when they show you when somebody hits a home run. They show it from many different angles. Shit he hit it. Let it go. One shot is enough. Not four shots.

Instant replay is what is hurting any sports.

Latest posts