Crab Creek

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I Hate ticks and I mean I HATE ticks!
And that section of the state is THICK with them. The very worst I ever got into ticks was in that general area - once south of Cheney & again a bit west of there; the bastards seem to love Sagebrush. Amazingly, I have never had a tick burrow-in, but my dogs have not been quite so lucky. Thankfully, someone invented Tick-Twisters for easy removal. I have encountered more & more of the devil bugs around here also - Bateman Island is lousy with them and I've found them crawling on waders around Burbank & along the WA/OR border. Bloused, light-colored pants with zip-off lower legs are a pretty effective defense; the light color makes ticks easier to spot & the flap over the leg zippers makes for a pretty good tick trap. I also toss all clothes I wear on an outing in the dryer for 30 minutes (I started that practice after I found a tick crawling up the wall near a laundry basket the day after a fishing trip.).

Old Man

Just an Old Man
In all the years that I fished over on the dry side, I only saw one tick. But I usually had on a half a bottle of bug spray so they would just die within 2 feet of me. I hate them crawling bugs. Plus when I was there in the summer time I never seen any snakes. If you don't think of them, you won't have to worry about them,

White socks and short pants a must Springtime until it gets super toasty to keep the ticks from crawling to your nether regions.

Ticks are the real deal ! Do not want RM Spotted Fever or Lyme disease.

Used to do bird nestbox surveys at Turnbull Nat W Refuge near Cheney, and often had 5-10 ticks a day. Had ticks at least once at every fishing spot East of the pass in Spring.

If you bushwack into a spot, you will find them. I nightfished a lot so that made it extra fun.

Last edited:

Jeremy Floyd

fly fishing my way through life
White socks and short pants a must Springtime until it gets super toasty to keep the ticks from crawling to your nether regions.

Ticks are the real deal ! Do not want RM Spotted Fever or Lyme disease.

Used to do bird nestbox surveys at Turnbull Nat W Refuge near Cheney, and often had 5-10 ticks a day. Had ticks at least once at every fishing spot East of the pass in Spring.

If you bushwack into a spot, you will find them. I nightfished a lot so that made it extra fun.
Did you work with my buddy Barry W?

Buzzy

Crab Creek sure has a lot of variety in water type. Much of the creek is dry parts of the year. One section I fished (San Juan Worm under an indicator - brown trout) went from decent flow to dry creek bed in a distance of a hundred feet (20 years ago, private property). North of Ritzville it seemed pikeminnow were very common. Then there's some of the tribs...... @Porter, yes sir!

Jeremy Floyd

Indeed, I did..this was 1985. I helped on a volunteer basis on the bluebird nest boxes with some cool summer interns. His dad was also the fly fishing instructor at EWU. Knew his wife (she passed away) as well.
He stayed with me last summer. I grew up with him taking me bird hunting all over Eastern WA. We went to his Mom and Dad’s often before or after hunting. His bro lived with him, back then about that time you were there, three houses from me. I was 11 in ‘85, and my eyes were wide with the amazing outdoor opportunities Barry led me in to.

He stayed with me last summer. I grew up with him taking me bird hunting all over Eastern WA. We went to his Mom and Dad’s often before or after hunting. His bro lived with him, back then about that time you were there, three houses from me. I was 11 in ‘85, and my eyes were wide with the amazing outdoor opportunities Barry led me in to.
1985 to 1990 was a great time in the area when I was there. Pre-internet, a lot of space to wander-still is a beautiful place. Fishing was uncrowded except for a couple of weeks here and there at the resort lakes.

Barry's dad had us out in boats on Will/Badg lakes chasing the mayfly hatch when I took his class.

Most of the public were funneled to Mardon Resort and Potholes because of their endless coverage in Hunting & Fishing News. RF was a desolate desert secret then, and Lahontan Cutts were fresh to the state.

Last edited:

Jeremy Floyd

1985 to 1990 was a great time in the area when I was there. Pre-internet, a lot of space to wander-still is a beautiful place. Fishing was uncrowded except for a couple of weeks here and there at the resort lakes.

Barry's dad had us out in boats on Will/Badg lakes chasing the mayfly hatch when I took his class.

Most of the public were funneled to Mardon Resort and Potholes because of their endless coverage in Hunting & Fishing News. RF was a desolate desert secret then, and Lahontan Cutts were fresh to the state.
You fish ever, with Claude Nichols?

Latest posts