Crab Creek

Do you really think those yahoos were clued in to the crick by the interweb? More likely locals who have been fishing there since they were 10.
I caught large spawning trout near the Yak in the 1970's. The people we fished with laughed about us "youngsters"; they caught caught large trout for 20 years before us! Nothing is new but the internet and social media have made information spread way too fast.

Go explore, discover and enjoy the experience; it is way more rewarding than internet scouting!

Dustin seems to get pist off if anybody just so much as names peace of water. . Saying the name of a piece of water is and exactly hot spotting.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Crab Creek is a stream in the U.S. state of Washington. Named for the presence of crayfish,[7] it is one of the few perennial streams in the Columbia Basin of central Washington, flowing from the northeastern Columbia River Plateau, roughly 5 km (3.1 mi) east of Reardan, west-southwest to empty into the Columbia River near the small town of Beverly. Its course exhibits many examples of the erosive powers of extremely large glacial Missoula Floods of the late Pleistocene, which scoured the region. In addition, Crab Creek and its region have been transformed by the large-scale irrigation of the Bureau of Reclamation's Columbia Basin Project (CBP), which has raised water table levels, significantly extending the length of Crab Creek and created new lakes and streams.[6]

Crab Creek is 163 miles (262 km) long[3][1] and drains a watershed in eastern Washington of 5,097 square miles (13,200 km2). It is sometimes referred to as the "longest ephemeral stream in North America".[6]

Last edited:

Salmo_g

Does Crab Creek supplied with water from groundwater seepage from the Columbia basin irrigation project? I guess I'm wondering if it was just a seasonal stream before Grand Coulee and the other projects were built.

Crab Creek is a seasonal stream for a great deal of its length. It receives Columbia Basin Irrigation Project water return flow (and will someday get CBIP bypass water from PInto Dam) downstream from the eastern boundary of the irrigation project, between Wilson Ck. and Stratford.

Porter

There was a study done some time ago and I don’t exactly remember how it went but it was a dye that was released in to crab creek and some of the dye found its way in to Rocky Ford Creek, think they were trying to conclude that Rocky Ford, while a separate entity of water, is linked to Crab Creek. Maybe someone else can add or clarify. I can’t remember who did the test? University? Or?

There was no "dye test". Dye doesn't propagate very far percolating through materials, and we can figure it out with physics and data instead.

The connection between lower Crab Creek and Rocky Ford Creek/Moses Lake is well known and has been for some time, at least since the beginnings of the design of the Columbia Basin Project in the early 20th century. Most recently it was a topic in a case study in this publication: Frans, L.M., Kahle, S.C., Tecca, A.E., and Olsen, T.D., 2018, Simulation of groundwater storage changes in the Quincy Basin, Washington: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2018-5162, 63 p., https://doi.org/10.3133/sir20185162.

Latest posts