Fly Rod Supply

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I own a grand total of 2 fly rods- a Redington 6wt and a BH 3wt. It must take a while to stockpile as many as some of you have!
54 years...since that 7 wt Eagle Claw and Phleuger set up my Dad bought me for my 12th Bday...still have it...have not used it for maybe 25 years...and that was when you could catch without guilt an East Fork of the lewis River summer run steelhead...

Pescaphile

I had an old Sage 7136 disappear. I'm pretty sure I gave it to one of my buddies to use but forgot who/when/where. This seems to be a good indicator that I might have too large of a supply.

I'm off to fish now for a few weeks and would kinda like to have it, not that it'd matter too much (I'm covered).

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I "lost" an 11 wt Loomis in the back of my truck to a very unstable 32" CRT on my way to ecycle it. Nope, it wasn't in its usual tube...I think I must have planned that.. I mean I referred to it as a broomstick...and I did kind of hate it...It wore me out roll casting... they honored the warranty I think because after i explained the how...the guy helping me cracked up...i got a much nicer 10 wt...which I never use anymore...like in the last 10 years...Local salmon returns have sucked where i always fished...That and the increasing instability in my getalong...never liked walking big rocks down to my spots...

gt

the Sage RPLs were and are still GREAT rods. why anyone would want to buy something newer is beyond me. if they work and are in good shape, end of tune, 5 -> 12 wts. if you came into fly fishing after Sage obsoleted these rods i get that just like the LLs, 3 ->5 wts in the rod rack.

gt

I had an old Sage 7136 disappear. I'm pretty sure I gave it to one of my buddies to use but forgot who/when/where. This seems to be a good indicator that I might have too large of a supply.

I'm off to fish now for a few weeks and would kinda like to have it, not that it'd matter too much (I'm covered).

that is a 'cult' rod for sure along with the 8150-4.

Jamie Dow

...or want.

When Ruthie says come see her
In her honky-tonk lagoon
Where I can watch her waltz for free
'Neath her Panamanian moon
And I say, "Aw come on now
You know, you know about my debutante"
And she says, "Your debutante just knows what you need
But I know what you want" Bob Dylan, Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again

Some rods (and reels) are just seductive if, like many of us, you have the sickness. Just offhand, Winston IM6 9' 4, 5, and 6 weight. Winston B2X 5 and 6 wt, Sage LL 490 and 590, Sage SP 5 and 6, Sage Method 6 wt, Sage X 5 and 6 wt. Have given away several Winstons to kids starting out as well when they are old enough to appreciate them, most with Battenkill, Abel TR or Hardy reels. Pay it forward.

LilCutts

fish & whistle
WFF Premium
With the onset of nicer weather and the lakes becoming thawed, I started making some serious preparations for the upcoming trout season. Then it dawned on me...last year I lost two different rods (6 weight Sage and a 5 weight Winston) as they found their watery graves for time and all eternity. Then I realized I had two broken rods that I meant to send back for repair (a 6 and 5 weight Winston) last winter but forgot. And for some reason, I'm missing a 4 weight somewhere. I now have come to the realization that I'm down a few rods for the start of the season and I better start thinking about some replacements real quick. My rod supply is starting to sound like Barney's beer supply.

Luckily there are a lot of people out there that are willing to sell me fly rods (and you too) so I'm not particularly worried. But it's a little bit of a weird feeling, being behind the 8 ball when things are just about ready to start rocking. I have access to some really high end rods, really low end rods, and a bunch of Cabela's bucks that I have accumulated that I could redeem. Decisions...decisions. :confused:

Unlike a lot of folks, I don't usually get enamored by a particular rod style, action, or brand. Maybe I'm not a good enough caster to really make a quality rod shine to its utmost performance but I find that just about any rod, fit with a quality line, can do the job for me. I have always looked at rods like a tool, to be used to get the job done rather than bother with such nuances such as casting enjoyment and pleasure...at least lake fishing. I guess maybe dry fly fishing rivers is a different category. But for lake fishing, I guess I never got too worked up about action and style. Most rods can get 30-60 feet of line out there with a balance leech or midge under a bobber. ;)

For some reason, I have always been more fascinated with reels and their design. I'm more likely to over spend on a reel than a rod...which is why I'm still missing the loss of my San Miguel last fall. :(
Putting substantial money into the reel isn’t a bad idea at all. As my buddy says, every rod is a perfect caster if you’re handling it right.

BDD

Thanks for bringing this thread back up and reminding me of those suppressed memories that I thought I put behind me.

To answer @bchapman question from two years ago, yeah I lost two rods in 2019, both to fish grabbing my fly and yanking it out of the boat when I was preoccupied.

The first one came when I was drifting the Adams. I fished too far into the tailout and was quickly approaching a fairly heavy rapid. I laid my rod down on top of my rod holder system and grabbed my oars to keep from going through the rapids sideways. I had 10 feet of line out with my glo bug (okay, it was a bead but a glo bug sounds better, at least it is a fly) when a rainbow hooked himself and pulled the rod and reel overboard, never to be seen again. I miss that San Miguel. If I would have taken 2 seconds to insert the rod into the foam, I'd still be cradling it today. But ya gotta give the fish due respect. He kicked my rear.

The second rod was lost on Park Lake, a few days after the opener. Fishing was good and so I took one of my boys to partake in the action. He was busy landing a fish on a bobber and bloodworm. The self-release mechanism didn't release and he was having some trouble landing the fish on a long leader. I was fishing a full sinking line and had about 10 feet of line out when I set the rod down to help my kid land his fish. As fast full sinking lines do, it sunk until hanging straight below the boat. We were anchored in 11 feet of water so the wooly bugger just happened to find that sweet spot a foot off the bottom. I still don't know how a 12 inch rainbow managed to hook himself and yard the whole setup over the side in the one minute I was helping my kid but it happened. Again props to the fish. Hopefully I've learned my lesson.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts