STH reels

I have an STH Salt No 3 cassette reel that has seen very little use. On a steelhead fishing trip this past weekend the body of the reel separated from the foot. I purchased it new from Gander Mt which is now defunct and I cannot seem to find warranty repair info for STH anywhere on the internet. At one time Cortland was handling warranty issues for STH and I spoke to their customer service folks this morning. They no longer provide service for STH products nor do they have any additional info to share.

Does anyone on the forum have any info to share. Thanks, Mark

Yes it does have two small screws and they pulled right thru from the body of the reel. They will now not go back into those holes to reattach the foot. I was casting when they separated and I have only caught 3-4 small fish using this reel. I didn't have a backup rod/reel with me so that ended my trip. This is the only STH reel I own and I cannot believe how easily it came apart with such little use.

Yes that would be my next step. Since the reel has a lifetime warranty I was checking on that route first. It doesn't seem like they are even in business any longer. If their reels fall apart this easily I can see why.

Do you recommend one of those inserts over the others?
I’ve repaired reels with similar issues. You should go up a size on the screw and don’t mess with a heli coil. They work great for larger diameter threads not so much with screws this small. If the next size up seems way too big, determine whether or not the current screw is metric or standard. Often time the difference between metric and standard is just slightly larger and would help with the repair. This probably doesn’t make sense but at least in my head it does:)

Mark,

I had an STH reel that needed a replacement part. The company was sold a few times and the last owner was Cortland. An old article I found said that cortland would repair the reels; but when I emailed them they said they stopped repairing them years ago. They told me to send it in and I could choose any of their fly lines in trade; so that’s what I did.

Bob

Is Jake Jordan of World Class Anglers still around? He was one of the founders of STH. Found this online-

" The retired CEO of STH Reels USA, and the founder of the "World Class Angler" (an early Florida Keys fly shop), located in Marathon, Florida, Jordan is a well known speaker, author, and consultant to the boating, fishing, and fly fishing industries. "

Richard E

Yes that would be my next step. Since the reel has a lifetime warranty I was checking on that route first. It doesn't seem like they are even in business any longer. If their reels fall apart this easily I can see why.
I have several STH reels in various sizes, some I’ve owned for more than 20 years, and have never had issues like those you describe.

Latest posts