Trip Report Belize - Thatch Caye

BigCat1661

Busch Light Pro Staff/Ambassador
My wife and I went to Thatch Caye in Belize for our honeymoon back in December 2018. We both would highly recommend the resort whether you fish or not! Thatch Caye is a small island about 30 minutes off the coast of Dangriga with capacity for about 30 people at a time. It is very remote, but provides amazing accommodations. The staff is great (Ben is the best bartender) and was a large part of the reason we never wanted to leave. In addition to fishing, the resort offers several other activities, including snorkeling, scuba diving, blue water gear fishing and a lobster hunt.

The resort is owned by Muy'Ono, which owns several other properties in Belize and Blue Horizon Fly Fishing. For those that do not know, Blue Horizon was started by the famed "Permit Master", Lincoln Westby, whom we were fortunate enough to fish with during our stay. It was our first time saltwater flats fishing. We fished for 2.5 days and targeted permit about 90% of the time. We saw about 50 fish each day but only got 4 or 5 "good" shots a day (a more experienced angler's "good" shots probably would have been close to double that). It was an extremely humbling experience, but we are both now addicted and are counting down the days until our next saltwater fishing trip.

This was one of the bonefish my wife hooked into. She has only caught trout on the fly and was not prepared for the power these fish had!!
Image6.jpg

Image5.jpg

My first bonefish.bone.jpg

The resort offered a few spots where you could catch bonefish off the beach. This is one of a few that I caught.
Image.jpg

Lincoln Westby - Permit Master
Image7.jpg

Calm winds and low tides created a tricky fishery with spooky permit
Image2.jpg

Watched the sunrise as we set for a full day of fishing
Image3.jpg

One of the cooler pictures we snapped - a group of 5 eagle rays that swam right below us during a snorkel trip
BELIZE 458.JPG

mr. bad example

My wife and I went to Thatch Caye in Belize for our honeymoon back in December 2018. We both would highly recommend the resort whether you fish or not! Thatch Caye is a small island about 30 minutes off the coast of Dangriga with capacity for about 30 people at a time. It is very remote, but provides amazing accommodations. The staff is great (Ben is the best bartender) and was a large part of the reason we never wanted to leave. In addition to fishing, the resort offers several other activities, including snorkeling, scuba diving, blue water gear fishing and a lobster hunt.

The resort is owned by Muy'Ono, which owns several other properties in Belize and Blue Horizon Fly Fishing. For those that do not know, Blue Horizon was started by the famed "Permit Master", Lincoln Westby, whom we were fortunate enough to fish with during our stay. It was our first time saltwater flats fishing. We fished for 2.5 days and targeted permit about 90% of the time. We saw about 50 fish each day but only got 4 or 5 "good" shots a day (a more experienced angler's "good" shots probably would have been close to double that). It was an extremely humbling experience, but we are both now addicted and are counting down the days until our next saltwater fishing trip.

This was one of the bonefish my wife hooked into. She has only caught trout on the fly and was not prepared for the power these fish had!!
View attachment 197561

View attachment 197562

My first bonefish.View attachment 197563

The resort offered a few spots where you could catch bonefish off the beach. This is one of a few that I caught.
View attachment 197564

Lincoln Westby - Permit Master
View attachment 197565

Calm winds and low tides created a tricky fishery with spooky permit
View attachment 197566

Watched the sunrise as we set for a full day of fishing
View attachment 197569

One of the cooler pictures we snapped - a group of 5 eagle rays that swam right below us during a snorkel trip
View attachment 197568
Did you see tarpon ?and that first bonefish was hefty...

BigCat1661

Did you see tarpon ?and that first bonefish was hefty...
We saw a handful rolling from a distance. Only had the 12wt out once and took a few blind casts with no success. The crew down there said they had a few 100#+ fish in the boat the week before...that being said, I think it is in the guide handbook to say that to every client!

mr. bad example

We saw a handful rolling from a distance. Only had the 12wt out once and took a few blind casts with no success. The crew down there said they had a few 100#+ fish in the boat the week before...that being said, I think it is in the guide handbook to say that to every client!
I've fished with Lincoln's now deceased brother David a few times years ago,they were almost celebrities in Belize.

Shapp

We visited Thatch Caye 2 years ago. It is a nice place. The only negative I found at that time was that their food, while good, was too "americanized". The food they were severing their workers at lunch looked a lot more local and appetizing. The best food we had there was the few times they served simple rice beans and fresh cooked fish. I can get burgers and chicken parmesan anytime in the USA, I don't need it in Belize. I wish they had done more local Belize cooking. Maybe things have changed now?
Other than this minor issue, it was a great place to stay for a few days with the family.

BigCat1661

We visited Thatch Caye 2 years ago. It is a nice place. The only negative I found at that time was that their food, while good, was too "americanized". The food they were severing their workers at lunch looked a lot more local and appetizing. The best food we had there was the few times they served simple rice beans and fresh cooked fish. I can get burgers and chicken parmesan anytime in the USA, I don't need it in Belize. I wish they had done more local Belize cooking. Maybe things have changed now?
Other than this minor issue, it was a great place to stay for a few days with the family.
I thought the food was very good. Portions were a little smaller than what I’d normally eat, but I think I got enough calories from Belikin! We definitely didn’t have anything close to burgers or chicken parm. However, I wish they would have had prepared more fish. But I think that is a way they incentivize guests to pay for a day of reef fishing, considering they will clean and cook the fish for you catch for your dinner.

Wife and I enjoyed our week there. I waded around a bit and caught bonefish and big, hard-fighting needlefish. Didn't know they took a fly, and once hooked the fight resembles that of a ladyfish. Perhaps the pauper's tarpon.:p The place is surrounded by miles and miles of classic permit habitat.

skyriver

Awesome report! Belize is on my list for sure.
How easy would it be to fish a few days on your own there? I'm be interested in getting guided 1 or 2 days and then trying a few days on my own. Thanks!

It's very easy to fish around the island. Plus, you can take one of the kayaks out to extend your range to nearby keys. As for guided days, you can make your own arrangements (recommended) in advance or book thru the lodge upon arrival.

Latest posts