NFR Shingrix (Shingles) Shots

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
This was discussed within Trapper’s flu shot thread.

There has been a nationwide shortage of Shingrix vaccine.
I’ve been looking to get my first in a series two shots for about nine months now.
I found it at two places this week in the Seattle area.

Just consider this a PSA for those maybe still looking for it.
Young dudes, don’t laugh your asses off to much at this thread.....you’ll be in this position some day ;):D
SF

Last edited:

Mark Dankel

I was on the "will call" list at my local CVS a year ago for about ten weeks, but they finally received new inventory and I was vaccinated. In 2005, I had a case of shingles, only it was on the head vs. the more common waist ("shingles" comes from the Latin "cingulum" which means girdle or belt), and the virus invaded my right eye. (When that happens it's called Herpes zoster ophthalmicus.) It started with a feeling like grit in my eye but I could not wash it out so I went to see my ophthalmologist and he guessed what was going on before any obvious signs were visible. But within 36 hours, it just exploded and got really ugly and painful. He treated it with an anti-viral prescription and a steroid in solution (prednisone eye drops 3X/day). I saw him daily for three weeks then twice a week for another month as we dialed back the prednisone. Early on it was touch 'n go, but the treatment saved my vision in that eye. There are no published case studies on the effectiveness of the new Shingrix vaccine on persons who've already had a case of shingles, but my GP recommended getting it anyway. I ditto Stonefish: get it, even if you have to wait. You do not want to go through what I did. I had a great doctor, but he told me I was also very lucky. And this is really important, he said part of our success was a consequence of jumping on it with the anti-viral meds and the steroid within the first 36 hrs.

cmann886

I am still waiting for the second of the series. I ask each time I visit the Pharmacy. It is like chasing a mirage... it keeps moving off into the horizon.

Stonefish

I am still waiting for the second of the series. I ask each time I visit the Pharmacy. It is like chasing a mirage... it keeps moving off into the horizon.
Might be worth checking around again right now.

I already scheduled my second shot and questioned them about what happens if it isn't available again then.
They told me it looks like they'll be getting a fairly decent supply on a regular basis.
I thought you had to wait 6 months before getting the second shot, but it actually 2 to 6 months based on the fact sheet they gave me,
I scheduled my next shot for two months out and if there is another shortage, I'll still have four months to try and get second shot.

Mark,
I know a few people who have had shingles, so I can imagine the experience you went through based on its location.
Good to hear you made it through that experience with your vision intact. I'm doing everything I can not to go through the same.
SF

Last edited:

Stonefish

Doesn’t that vaccine cause Alzheimer’s?
I guess I’ll find out, though I’ll likely be dead before that happens.
I’m the spitting image of my pops.
If I live another 15 years, I’ll be crushing my dad’s side of the family history for longevity.
I’ve gone through enough shit health wise in my life that I’ll take my chances so I don’t have to suffer through shingles.
SF

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Doesn’t that vaccine cause Alzheimer’s?
Naw I don't use aluminum pans anymore...re: Back to Eden by Jethro Kloss...we have a new cult generation of them...based on 2 or 3 out of a thousand having reactions...be careful with that 81 mg of aspirin you older guys take every day...and I know smoking banana peels will not get you high as much as you wanted it to.

jwg

I was on the "will call" list at my local CVS a year ago for about ten weeks, but they finally received new inventory and I was vaccinated. In 2005, I had a case of shingles, only it was on the head vs. the more common waist ("shingles" comes from the Latin "cingulum" which means girdle or belt), and the virus invaded my right eye. (When that happens it's called Herpes zoster ophthalmicus.) It started with a feeling like grit in my eye but I could not wash it out so I went to see my ophthalmologist and he guessed what was going on before any obvious signs were visible. But within 36 hours, it just exploded and got really ugly and painful. He treated it with an anti-viral prescription and a steroid in solution (prednisone eye drops 3X/day). I saw him daily for three weeks then twice a week for another month as we dialed back the prednisone. Early on it was touch 'n go, but the treatment saved my vision in that eye. There are no published case studies on the effectiveness of the new Shingrix vaccine on persons who've already had a case of shingles, but my GP recommended getting it anyway. I ditto Stonefish: get it, even if you have to wait. You do not want to go through what I did. I had a great doctor, but he told me I was also very lucky. And this is really important, he said part of our success was a consequence of jumping on it with the anti-viral meds and the steroid within the first 36 hrs.
Glad to hear you came out of this OK.
My mother had shingles that affected nerves on one side of her face below around and above one eye. I don't know that it affected the eyes like yours, but her face and eyes hurt a lot. Really affected her quality of life in her last year, and wore away at her strength and spirit.

so far I have the original shingles vaccine myself and hoping Shingrix becomes more available. I am concerned about getting the first shot and not being able to get the second.

j

Mark Dankel

My mother had shingles that affected nerves on one side of her face below around and above one eye.
j
I didn't want to go into the weeds, only amplify Stonefish's recommendation to consider being vaccinated, but yes, my trigeminal nerve "fried" too. This was likely part of your Mom's experience. It was over five years before that circuit was fully "normal" again. The only permanent effect is a droopy right eyelid that's always half-closed. (As though tying on a size 24 midge isn't hard enough in your 60s....)

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Thanks for the hedzup, Stonefish. I need to check and see if the Shingrix vaccine is available anywhere closer to my area. My dad had a nasty bout with the shingles flaring up on his scalp and ears for several months before it went away. That was during the last year of his life. He was taking some meds for it, as well as painkillers.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
I take every vaccine that comes my way,getting older is hard enough with out any of the possible avoidable medical issues

Bruce Baker

I would also check with more than one pharmacy. As my 6 mo. time limit for getting the second shot was fast approaching, my doctors office was out, and the Tumwater and Lacey Costcos were out. However, I was steered towards a pharmacy in Centralia and they had it. I think a month or two later, my doctor's office called and then about a month or so after that, Costco.

Latest posts