NFR Shingrix (Shingles) Shots

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Funny, I had no reaction but my buddy who is 68 just got his first shot and he said it kicked his ass for about three days as well. He described flu like symptoms.
SF
Hi SF,
The new (post 2017) Shingrix vaccine contains no live virus (a recombinant virus that is missing key genetic material) and included molecules that stimulate the immune system. [The older vaccine, Zostavax, contains a live, but weakened virus.] Therefore, if you do suffer flu-like symptoms after a Shingrix vaccination, it is isn't because you are infected but because your body is reacting, as it should, as if you did have an infection. Hence, the flu-like symptoms that some folks experience after a Shingrix vaccination reveal the "costs" of just your own immune system in trying to end a flu (or faux shingles / chickenpox) infection. When you have a serious infection, like the flu, the body dedicates huge resources to fighting it off (and diverts resources from many normal housekeeping activities, such as bone and muscle growth).
Steve

jwg

I definitely had chills hit me hard for a couple of hours, on the night after my first Shingrix shot.
J

Shad

I had shingles in my early 20s (which I guess is pretty rare). Started as an itchy rash but quickly turned into skin seemingly melting off my face, and the ones in my head hurt like hell. Went to the doctor, and it took him about 5 seconds to diagnose it. He gave me some sort of anti-viral and pain killers. It was gone in a few days and hasn't returned in over 20 years. Kind of shitty, and I understand it gets harder to put down as you get older. Sounds like a good move to get this vaccination.

jwg

I definitely had chills hit me hard for a couple of hours, on the night after my first Shingrix shot.
J
To be clear, I am still totally in favor of this vaccination.
In the tricities, check Walgreens on Monday mornings for availability
J

jacknoir

I hadn't even heard there had been a shortage. My mother had the shingles a couple years ago. She was a mess for 6 months. It wasn't pretty. Anyone on the east coast experiencing problems getting a shot these days?

sportsman

3 month waiting list at my Safeway....2 months for the 2nd. shot. I wasn't in a hurry anyway...67 when I decided to finally get it. Probably not a good idea to wait that long.

Krusty

We've now had both shingrix vaccinations. The first one was pretty brutal for us (like a bad case of the flu for about 5 days), and the second was just as rough on my wife.

But I reckon the effects pale in comparison to a full-blown case of the shingles...having seen many people suffer its ravages...some with permanent impacts.

Gregg Lundgren

Now fishing on weekdays too!
I got my first shot last week. It was less painful than my wife nagging me to get it for the last year.
You married a wise woman. Like many things, it's hard to imagine how bad it can actually be. Sometimes I think only those who have gone through it can truly empathize. Then it's just a matter of degree.

"Shingles bad."

Latest posts