NFR Ages.

Phil Fravel

Friendly
I was into another thread. We were talking about ages and being old. I would like to know if somebody on here is older and still fishing. Or just how old all you asshats are. I'm 84 and have been fly fishing since 1957 or so. I have also fished just about every way that is out there. And I caught a lot of fish in my life time. Nothing great as I just like to fish small skinny water. Oh, and I have never left the States to fish for exodic fish.
Fun topic Old Man. Thanks

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I caught my first fish on a fly rod on July 28, 1951, the day after I received a TrueTemper tubular steel fly rod for my 13th birthday.

My first fish ever, a bluegill, came in the summer of 1946 when gas was available again and I got to visit my grandpa. It came on a cane pole and red worms that I dug out behind the pig pen. I don't remember much more as I had been up since dawn in the long Michigan summer days and had been pee-my-pants excited all day knowing I was going fishing. Somewhere along the line I ran out of gas and adrenaline and fell asleep. I woke up the next morning in the same feather bed I had been born in 8 years earlier and came downstairs to fried bluegill and crappie and hot cornbread.

Now at almost 81 it still doesn't get much better than beer battered crappies and buttermilk cornbread.
I had a tubular steel fly rod too that would build your casting arm up! ha! heavy bastich! still have it somewhere

surfnsully

I am 59.5 and began fishing around 1964 and fly fishing at the age of 36. However, I did recently begin hunting in the past two years and have been doing it solo and learning from the internet :) How millennial of me ehh?

Rob Allen

48 years old i landed my first steelhead on a fly on September 25 1985. I fly fished several years before that and fished a couple years before that.

Jake

(not really a sea otter)
Don't blink and make the most out of every day.
Absolutely. That’s why I joined this forum now, and am assaulting the learning curve. I’ve got a lot of catching up to do so that when I reach a more refined age I’ll be able to cast elegantly and fish excellently like all of you.

Old406Kid

Absolutely. That’s why I joined this forum now, and am assaulting the learning curve. I’ve got a lot of catching up to do so that when I reach a more refined age I’ll be able to cast elegantly and fish excellently like all of you.
I've been at it for about 55 years and am still working on the elegantly and excellently.:D

wanative

I'm 64, turning 65 in August and I'm retiring in 21 days.:D
I cut my fishing teeth in Race Lagoon on Whidbey Island in the early 60's catching sculpins (bull heads then) and starry flounder using raw bacon or weiners, for bait.
Fished the Nooksack for SRC and local Whatcom county lakes with bait growing up in Ferndale.
On TV I watched Gaddabout Gaddis catch half pounder steelhead on the Rogue and thought that is just grand. It really piqued my interest in fly fishing. In the late 70's I took the plunge and bought a Fenwick 7wt. and Pflueger Medalist reel with a floating DT line
at H&H sporting goods in Bellingham from Jerry Wells. Subsequently I took a fly tying class from Jerry and was on my way.
It's been a delightful ride and I look forward hopefully to many more memories to be made in retirement.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
55 and halfway to 110, when the topic will be "WHO was President??"

I hope they still have Mac and Cheese then...

Flyfishing since 1974-75. Caught Pikeminnow on my first ties around same time.

Last edited:

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
55 and halfway to 110, when the topic will be "WHO was President??"

I hope they still have Mac and Cheese then...
that is funny and I really don't like mac and cheese...ithink it was all those years of Mission mac and cheese for the kids and their endless love for that and those bisquick weener wraps...Good gawd never again...Ha!

Latest posts