NFR Ages.

Bob Rankin

Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)
I’m 43, started fly fishing in 1983 on the Methow. My Grandpa showed me how to cast in the yard, gave me a tin box of dry flys, a pat on the ass and I walked down to the river. Never looked back!

Hear is a luscious bowl cut and my first Steelhead, around 1983-19841BC3FF23-EEAD-4028-B818-66EB18C2B446.jpeg

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
66 next month. Fished a little as a kid but don't remember ever catching anything until after I went into the Air Force in 1972 when I began spending a lot of time in the outdoors upland game hunting, backpacking, climbing, nordic and tele skiing. I began fly fishing in the mid 1970s, but took a break from the outdoor pursuits in the 90s to have a second go at playing music as a sideline for several years, and put on a lot of weight. Resumed fly fishing again in the late 90s, and began seeking out skinny water. There is awesome beauty where wild trout thrive that rivals and even surpasses the high places, with much less effort. Managed to lose most of the weight in 2010 and resumed hiking and backpacking into high lakes and streams. Retired in 2017 but need to stay active and fit to keep a medical problem under control. Yes, getting old isn't for sissies. I fish remote water solo a lot because most of my fishing friends are younger and still working.

Last edited:

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I have noticed usual good humor can just turn on a dime...what's with that? I'd just like to turn on a dime again actually.

1967 - Start of presence on Earth.

1972 - First photographic evidence of fishing rod in hand, in this case a glass Shakespeare, length unremembered. My dad loved, still loves, fishing, so I tagged along a lot. Lucky me.

1984 - first attempt at FF, 9-1/2' 8wt loaner on a boat, caught a small Golden Trevally. Downhill from there.

2007 - first bamboo rod, a 7-1/2' 5wt from a grateful friend. The downhill slope got even steeper and more slippery.

Kenneth

Last edited:

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
1967 - Start of presence on Earth.

1972 - First photographic evidence of fishing rod in hand, in this case a glass Shakespeare, length unremembered. My dad loved, still loves, fishing, so I tagged along a lot. Lucky me.

1984 - first attempt at FF, 9-1/2' 8wt loaner on a boat, caught a small Golden Trevally. Downhill from there.

2007 - first bamboo rod, a 7-1/2' 5wt from a grateful friend. The downhill slope got even steeper.
May you have many more years of sliding, Kenneth! :D

Craig Pablo

I'm 50 and have been fly fishing since 1976. When I was 8 years old I got a light blue Danielson fly rod with a black rubber grip, I"m sure the cheapest one Kmart offered. Paired with a Pflueger medalist reel (wasn't that mandatory as everyone's first fly reel? lol), that fly rod was the catalyst of a slight obsession.

nic

Started fishing for cyprinidae in a Scottish burn. Ten years later in 1965 I graduated to fly fishing for brown trout.

And, as far as age goes, I can attest to the accuracy of Groucho's wisdom - we are indeed only as old as who we're feeling ... I turned 24 last January.

:)

Last edited:

MD

I just hit 57 and the body is starting show it. I'm developing a frozen shoulder in my casting arm. :mad: But my chiropractor assures me casting is good...use it or lose it...if only I could convince my workplace to allow me the afternoons off for therapy:)

My first fishing memories are of staring at little red & white bobbers for endless hours on Pine Lake in Iowa. My dad loved it. I still enjoy going after bluegills now & then, but with a 3 or 4 wt.

I moved to Missoula to attend school and one of my classmates introduced me to fly fishing. I recall having a piece of crap hand me down glass rod with a beat up click and pawl reel and lots of white tape to hold on what was left of the cork. I also remember the frustrations of not being able to get my fly out 20' to the little guys that were rising in front of me, but what a thrill it was when I finally caught on!

Life led me to northwest Washington and I've been throwing flies now for 30 plus years (which is crazy to see in type) and I still can't get it out 20' to the little guys in front of me ;)

Good thread...

Mike d

Birdsnest

I'm 58 and caught my first fish on a tubular steel rod, but it was a casting rod, not a fly rod. I was about 5 years old and still have the rod. I inherited a fly rod from my grandfather when he died in 1973. I learned to cast it in the driveway, but never fished with it until I learned to tie flies when I was about 15. The first fish I caught on the fly rod was a bluegill.

BWBratt

Absolutely. That’s why I joined this forum now, and am assaulting the learning curve. I’ve got a lot of catching up to do so that when I reach a more refined age I’ll be able to cast elegantly and fish excellently like all of you.
49...for a few more months. I have a picture of me fishing in the Shonkin in the Highwood mountains of MT with my Dad when I was 3--with a yellow fiberglass rod from the local Coast to Coast.

I love to fish because I learn something new every day, and sometimes, what was old comes back around again, such as soft hackles and nymphing ala Joe Humphreys, which seems an awful lot like Euro nymphing.

Salmo_g

70 last November, so I guess I'm approaching middle age now that I'm not as fleet of foot as I used to be. Due to mistakes by my non-outdoorsy parents and my partially mis-spent youth, I didn't begin fly fishing in earnest until 1971. Oh, I tried to teach myself to fly cast after reading an Outdoor Life article titled "Learn to fly cast in 20 minutes." That was in the late 60s, and I failed to learn in a lot more than the 20 minutes I tried. So it was a more gradual thing.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
70 last November, so I guess I'm approaching middle age now that I'm not as fleet of foot as I used to be. Due to mistakes by my non-outdoorsy parents and my partially mis-spent youth, I didn't begin fly fishing in earnest until 1971. Oh, I tried to teach myself to fly cast after reading an Outdoor Life article titled "Learn to fly cast in 20 minutes." That was in the late 60s, and I failed to learn in a lot more than the 20 minutes I tried. So it was a more gradual thing.
when I was 13 got that first rod...a Wright McGill...I buggy whipped the shit out of it...dad didn't fly fish...he just knew i wanted to...so anyway he untangled my back casts for a couple hours...I returned to it a lot later...

Latest posts