Best smallmouth river in the NW?

Rob Allen

The Columbia has no equal. Not only is it the best smallmouth fishery in the state. The smallmouth fishery on the Columbia is the best fishery in the state.

If you want big fish the tri cities area or between Bonneville Dam and the Dalles dam.

If you want big numbers of fish the dalles dam to McNary dam

Clousers ,poppers ,buggers

Last edited:

prmike307

The Columbia has no equal. Not only is it the best smallmouth fishery in the state. The smallmouth fishery on the Columbia is the best fishery in the state.

If you want big fish the tri cities area or between Bonneville Dam and the Dalles dam.

If you want big numbers of fish the dalles dam to McNary dam

Clousers ,poppers ,buggers
Duh! Of course, I forgot about the Columbia!

Rob Allen

And these ponds connect to the Columbia? I’m on the OR side.
Yes. There is also good access during the summer after the flows drop at celilo park. Walk downstream along the tracks to the other side of the boat launching lagoon then wade along the outside of the breakwater.

NukeLDO

for numbers, check out the John Day in the area between the mouth and Cottonwood Canyon. A hopper or chubby is all you'll need.

Boxer

I second the John Day from mouth to cottonwood in May and June. Just watch for spikes in water levels, a cold spike means you’ll only catch 25fish instead of 100. I like a big blue and white popper to weed out the small guys. If you catch it just right you’ll see smallies jumping out of the water for dragonflies.

bakerite

All the Snake river tributaries in Oregon and Idaho have lots of them in the lower reaches. Grande Ronde, Imnaha, Powder, Clearwater, Salmon plus a bunch of others. Many have great fishing for them. Just not the size you will see in the Columbia. With global warming they are the fish of the future.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts