Cedar River

Ricardo

General consensus is the season has been really bad so far. I'll give it a couple more goes until alpine lakes are a game.
Actually, it is my experience that all the rivers on the west side are sort of "late" this year... Not only the Cedar, but also the other usual suspects that start rendering fruits by mid Jun after the run off have been effing hard so far. At the same time, lakes that traditionally shut off by June (trout wise, I mean) are still on. It feels more like end of April than end of June.
The Cedar was 55 degrees yesterday, a couple of degrees below average but not terribly colder, so I don't know what is going on. My bet is that something is off with the food chain and the insects.

Hendodesign

My bet is that something is off with the food chain and the insects.
I would agree with this + the increased pressure. In the past Ive found good size 8-10 stoneflies work pretty well this time of year and Ive only had success with little caddis pupa style flies and general emerger attractors like rainbow warriors. Ive caught whitefish on stonefly patterns but no trout. The stones have been working well on the yakima the last month ... nada on the cedar.

Hendodesign

It’s pretty evident wading sections where it seems like the river has cut a new path. That was a major flooding event.

How blown out the river was in Winter, might be playing a role.

I've passed by this river daily for the last 20+ years of my life and never saw it as bad as it was blown out this prior Winter.

mlapsen

MdwstrnTrnsplnt
The river seems a little behind normal for sure, perhaps recovering from the flood waters. That said, bugs starting to show, requiring change in tactics. Appreciated the guidance to remove pic data to reduce hotspotting, but let’s be honest, few secrets on the Cedar. I expect it’s now down to presentation and a little luck. Hoping some of the dry fly action starts, as less about how many we get and moving into how they are enticed. More than once I’ve watched a euro nymph fisher score following me on a hole I wasn’t able to get a take, but I am resigned to casting for them my way. We all have our reasons and preferences, and it’s fishing not catching that drives us. The water and the experience is the goal. Catching is the bonus. Hope all are having the same fun wading the water. Fish on...

AdrianM

The river seems a little behind normal for sure, perhaps recovering from the flood waters. That said, bugs starting to show, requiring change in tactics. Appreciated the guidance to remove pic data to reduce hotspotting, but let’s be honest, few secrets on the Cedar. I expect it’s now down to presentation and a little luck. Hoping some of the dry fly action starts, as less about how many we get and moving into how they are enticed. More than once I’ve watched a euro nymph fisher score following me on a hole I wasn’t able to get a take, but I am resigned to casting for them my way. We all have our reasons and preferences, and it’s fishing not catching that drives us. The water and the experience is the goal. Catching is the bonus. Hope all are having the same fun wading the water. Fish on...
Very well said. It is about fishing. Being on the water. Enjoying a bit of solitude.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
It’s pretty evident wading sections where it seems like the river has cut a new path. That was a major flooding event.
All the rivers in my area underwent a major reshaping also. We were at or above 100yr. (just like '96 and same feb. 7 date). Many areas that were pool/run/pool are now long cobbled runs. May take a couple normal winters to restructure it.

Elliott5400

Rolled up to the urban line today for a round.

Right up behind me, a family rolls up with the spinning rod army.

Carrying a large clear Rubbermaid tote, I could only use my imagination to guess that would be their bucket for their efforts. Fantastic choice for clear to show your catches off on the way back to the car.

Though I didn't catch any foul play in the act, I can only imagine what the goal with the Rubbermaid tote and army of spinning rods was. They were gone before we were.

Last trip beforehand included rowdy young 20 somethings lighting fireworks, drinking beer and dippin some spin rods.

No fish found either trips.

Ahhh the sounds of 2 12" trunk subwoofers pounding music of the hood as you swing a fly through a hole. Ahhh yes the nostalgic sounds of the river.

This river is f*cked.

rdilla

Rolled up to the urban line today for a round.

Right up behind me, a family rolls up with the spinning rod army.
Sounds about right. Are spinning rods not allowed on this river? Not asking for myself, just curious. I've seen lots of spinning rods while I'm out.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts