Cedar River

duggiefresh

It's selective gear. From the regulations: Gear is limited to artificial flies with barbless single hooks or lures with barbless single hooks and bait is prohibited. Up to 3 hooks may be used. Only knotless nets may be used to land fish.

So you could have spinning rods, just no bait.

Elliott5400

Sounds about right. Are spinning rods not allowed on this river? Not asking for myself, just curious. I've seen lots of spinning rods while I'm out.
They are allowed. Within the selective gear rule regulations.

In my experience groups of spin rods almost always equal bad behavior on this system. Sad but true. For every 10 spin fisherman, maybe one will be fishing a single point baroness dicknite or something similar.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
I'm beginning to think a test should be required for licensing. I ran into a young man, 20ish, fishing worms in the selective gear water. He though just because he bought a license he could fish anywhere. I really got the impression this young man believed it and nobody had ever told him to really check the rulebook. I didn't get aggressive, we talked on the way out as I was leaving anyways, and we looked at the book for a minute. He just had to move about 1/2 a mile downriver, and as he said he has an old fly rod at home I gave him a couple flies.

Elliott5400

Tried to roll up to a spot on the Cedar,

As I was putting my waders on, some sketch looking car rolled up and parked as far back behind me as he could.

Figured the dude was going to hop out and walk down the trail to fish or something.

As I'm making sure to take my sweet time, he is literally just sitting in his beat box of a car (90s model Toyota sedan, beat up badly faded black paint) and watching me.

I decided to sit in my car. I waited for around 15 minutes while he just sat there and smoked cigarettes.

Then he flipped a u-turn and pulled a few yards down the road behind me, pulled off to the side. Not even 2 minutes later he flipped another turn back onto the highway and parked right behind me again.

I highly suspect this person was scoping my car and waiting for me to start fishing.

I just decided it wasn't worth the risk to leave my car and left.

Very suspicious behavior. Be aware out there

cdnred

As I was putting my waders on, some sketch looking car rolled up and parked as far back behind me as he could.

Figured the dude was going to hop out and walk down the trail to fish or something.

As I'm making sure to take my sweet time, he is literally just sitting in his beat box of a car (90s model Toyota sedan, beat up badly faded black paint) and watching me.

I decided to sit in my car. I waited for around 15 minutes while he just sat there and smoked cigarettes.

Then he flipped a u-turn and pulled a few yards down the road behind me, pulled off to the side. Not even 2 minutes later he flipped another turn back onto the highway and parked right behind me again.

I highly suspect this person was scoping my car and waiting for me to start fishing.

Good move, I'm sure he was just casing you out and waiting for you to go fishing so he could break into your car. Should've got the license number and reported him..

Elliott5400

Good move, I'm sure he was just casing you out and waiting for you to go fishing so he could break into your car. Should've got the license number and reported him..
I got some pics.

Now at the next hole, some dudes just rolled up trying to cast huge salmon dodgers on spin rods. This shit just keeps getting better!

fishingfortime

My lord. Miserable experience this evening. Numbnuts decided tossing fireworks into the water 20 yards upstream of me was an acceptable thing to do. Needless to say, the very limited action quickly went to zilch when the pyro showed up.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
The Cedar fishes best when you take Metro there so your vehicle doesn’t get broken into.
If you survive the bus ride without being assaulted or getting Covid, it is best to fish it wearing a bulletproof hazmat suit to repel the meth vapor and open carry is highly recommended.
Other then that, it is a great place to fish....
SF

Last edited:

skyriver

My lord. Miserable experience this evening. Numbnuts decided tossing fireworks into the water 20 yards upstream of me was an acceptable thing to do. Needless to say, the very limited action quickly went to zilch when the pyro showed up.
Believe it or not, this is the "good" type of bad Cedar experience one can have. Numbnuts was in clear view, he didn't offer you drugs, ask for drugs, ask for money and/or didn't mess with your car. So I guess you could say he was a nice numbnuts. Besides the whole fishing thing. :D

Sturubu

It seems like there is no escaping it these days, but some spots seem worse than others. I had a similar experience on the Green - not-so-subtle casiing of my rig and others. It makes me miss the old days of leaving my doors unlocked and windows down; nothing to break, and nothing to hide. These days who knows what may end up in your rig if you leave it open.

Did this happen at a pull-off or parking area?

Elliott5400

It seems like there is no escaping it these days, but some spots seem worse than others. I had a similar experience on the Green - not-so-subtle casiing of my rig and others. It makes me miss the old days of leaving my doors unlocked and windows down; nothing to break, and nothing to hide. These days who knows what may end up in your rig if you leave it open.

Did this happen at a pull-off or parking area?
Crazy part is it was on a very traffic heavy pull-off right along side the highway.

Was thinking of pretending to walk down to the river and hide in a bush and observe, but I didn't feel like dealing with a potential altercation.

Dude 100% looked like one of Renton finest tweakers.

I'm not sure how much time some here spend in Renton, but it's a absolute shithole of a town. A mini Seattle, perhaps.

Go drive by the Renton airport and watch all the tweakers that like to hang out there. There is some building and parking lot of the south end of the airport. I believe there is some kind of handout service for them there. They also love to ride bikes around Renton.

NRC

WFF Supporter
I'm beginning to think a test should be required for licensing. I ran into a young man, 20ish, fishing worms in the selective gear water. He though just because he bought a license he could fish anywhere. I really got the impression this young man believed it and nobody had ever told him to really check the rulebook. I didn't get aggressive, we talked on the way out as I was leaving anyways, and we looked at the book for a minute. He just had to move about 1/2 a mile downriver, and as he said he has an old fly rod at home I gave him a couple flies.
I completely agree with this, if nothing else to deal with all the people moving in from less regulated states. Coming from a southern plains state back in the day, I had zero understanding of the catch and release ethic nor of the protections in place for various fish populations in the state. All I knew is that there were salmon and trout here, and I wanted to try and catch them. I ran into people early on who got me pointed in the right direction, plus I had an interest in learning to fly fish anyway, but still I could have benefitted from a quick top down education.

Maybe just a quick online pass/fail course, especially targeted at getting people to understand selective gear.

MGTom

WFF Supporter
Crazy part is it was on a very traffic heavy pull-off right along side the highway.

Was thinking of pretending to walk down to the river and hide in a bush and observe, but I didn't feel like dealing with a potential altercation.

Dude 100% looked like one of Renton finest tweakers.

I'm not sure how much time some here spend in Renton, but it's a absolute shithole of a town. A mini Seattle, perhaps.

Go drive by the Renton airport and watch all the tweakers that like to hang out there. There is some building and parking lot of the south end of the airport. I believe there is some kind of handout service for them there. They also love to ride bikes around Renton.
The Kent/Renton area was were I went to drug rehab halfway house after cedar hills in about 1990. Not the easiest place to sober up even then, but I wanted it and enrolled at the voc. tech which was fantastic. So many people in that system however have no intention or desire to get clean, then end up in the community. It's a sad reality but in my experience no what what we do most of these folks don't want to and never will clean up their act. I don't have an answer, and I feel for them, but we can't fix 'em. Like you said watch out and be careful.

matchu865

WFF Supporter
I would support a test as well, but agree the purpose of the test should be to inform/educate folks rather than to prevent folks from fishing. Some silly catch phrase might go a long way - "If you don't know, let it go" or "When in doubt, throw it back"

A good first step would be:
1. Simplify the wording on the regs to be more clear (I gave a sample in a prior post)
2. Post river access points. WDFW seems allergic to this for very lame reasons, but I've seen other states (e.g. Oregon) have done a much better job.

Elliott5400

The Kent/Renton area was were I went to drug rehab halfway house after cedar hills in about 1990. Not the easiest place to sober up even then, but I wanted it and enrolled at the voc. tech which was fantastic. So many people in that system however have no intention or desire to get clean, then end up in the community. It's a sad reality but in my experience no what what we do most of these folks don't want to and never will clean up their act. I don't have an answer, and I feel for them, but we can't fix 'em. Like you said watch out and be careful.
Yes I remember working at a fast food joint as a teen, and dealing with many of these folks coming in.

One lady in particular, we always gave her a discount or free food. She wasn't rude or obnoxious like a lot of the rest.

Point of the story, fast forward a few years and I'm working in a automotive repair facility. A lady I am shuttling home while her car is repaired, sees the same lady I used to serve. She's standing on her usual spot of the sidewalk.

The client starts to start conversation about her. She tells me that where she works, they have programs to reach out to people like this and help them. And that she has even paid for this lady in particular to have a prepaid cellphone.

She said the lady had been reached out to multiple times to receive help and get off the street.

Well I worked the fast food job about 10 years ago. The conversation with the client was around 5 years ago. The lady in question is still standing on the sidewalk to this day. Just a different location now.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts