When do you think “That ain’t fly fishing!” Or do you ?

dragless

I noticed that weighted “Jig” flies are popular and have seen some “heavy duty ones” recently- got me to wondering.When is it not fly fishing any more?
If you fish beads, jigs, on a fly rod is it fly fishing? With a stout fly rod you could probably cast a small spinner or spoon...are ya still fly fishing? If I soak my steelhead flies in shrimp juice overnight is it still fly fishing?
Do you have to be imitating an insect( actual fly) to be “fly fishing”. What about saltwater, where you are casting baitfish type things?
Or is it just using a fly rod that makes it fly fishing?
Do you not make any distinction except for what the regulations say for your area/state/province/country ?
What’s your personal definition?
I don’t have a definitive answer, but I feel comfortable with bugs, baitfish patterns, even nymphs that are weighted.After that, my Spidey-senses tell me not to tie it on... and try to back cast that.I go with my Spidey sense and leave it there.
Or do you say: “I don’t give a S**T! I have a spin and baitcasting rod at the ready in the back of my truck, so I do whatever I need to catch fish- I’m fishing!”

dragless

Not what other folks are doing, or if one is better then another, but curious if you personally have a fly fishing definition for yourself?

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Tackle is tackle...leave it to F and W they define what and what isn't fly fishing...some don't approve of beads...some old flies had lil propellers...spinning flies...it is all endless...we use weighted lines...weighted flies,,,holographic mylar and all finds of products when we tie... I just have to congratulate the person that can remove that barbed jig out of their ear...

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Not what other folks are doing, or if one is better then another, but curious if you personally have a fly fishing definition for yourself?
Not really.
I fish to enjoy myself. I don't care how others fish as long as it is within the rules.
I also like all forms of fishing, so I never quite understood the gear versus fly debates.
Fishing is supposed to be fun and a way to escape all the other bullshit life throws at you.
SF

Rob Allen

I guess it depends on if you want to discuss it in a technical matter or a practical matter.

Technically. If there is a difference between conventional fishing snd fly fishing.
Then yes there is a point at which fly fishing becomes conventional fishing and is therefore not fly fishing.
Practically speaking we will never agree on where to draw the line and that line really doesn't matter.

What does matter is how anglers treat the resource and eachother.

dragless

I guess it depends on if you want to discuss it in a technical matter or a practical matter.

Technically. If there is a difference between conventional fishing snd fly fishing.
Then yes there is a point at which fly fishing becomes conventional fishing and is therefore not fly fishing.
Practically speaking we will never agree on where to draw the line and that line really doesn't matter.

What does matter is how anglers treat the resource and eachother.
Good point(s) especially last line.

I don't really care how people fish, as long as it's legal. That said, I find the idea of fly fishing for ling cod by sending some depth charger line down 20 feet not to really be fly fishing. I cannot tell you what the depth would be, beyond which I wouldn't consider it fly fishing, but 20' is well past that depth.

I also don't think that chuck-and-ducking 6" articulated monstrosities qualifies, either.

Nevertheless, both are fishing, and if that's what it takes to catch fish, more power to you. This is just my opinion.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I don't really care how people fish, as long as it's legal. That said, I find the idea of fly fishing for ling cod by sending some depth charger line down 20 feet not to really be fly fishing. I cannot tell you what the depth would be, beyond which I wouldn't consider it fly fishing, but 20' is well past that depth.

I also don't think that chuck-and-ducking 6" articulated monstrosities qualifies, either.

Nevertheless, both are fishing, and if that's what it takes to catch fish, more power to you. This is just my opinion.
Many people on this forum fish chironomids for trout deeper then 20'.
No depth charger line required.
SF

jamma

For me, it's when you tye flies to imitate gear, such as using heavy mylar to imitate wobblers, synthetic tails, spinner blades, propellers, worms and the like and added scents. I don't mind synthetic imitations as long as other fly tying specific materials are used in conjunction with them. I have never been convinced that the standard fur and feathers imitations of crayfish, in particular, are very convincing.
And trolling, I really hate trolling. That falls into the "jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other" for me. I bought a book once about fly fishing WA lakes and the guy used one method, trolling in a gas powered boat using one fly, an olive woolly bugger. That, to me, is most definitely not fly fishing.

Last edited:

Buzzy

I love big, heavy tungsten bead jigs, coneheads, blobs are awesome. I'm fly fishing with them. I fish water well over 30 feet deep with a fly rod and get bugs near bottom with a floating line (yeah, long leader). I troll with flies, is that fly fishing? It is for me. Oh, I usually have a container of night crawlers in the fridge - I slip a slow death bait hook up the body of the night crawler when I'm fishing for walleye (no, this isn't fly fishing). Rapalas rock.

Last edited:

Latest posts