When do you think “That ain’t fly fishing!” Or do you ?

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
my idea of "its not fly fishing" is when someone has a spinning reel on a fly rod and hooks baited with corn, fishing for carp. I can hear it now, "I caught it on a fly rod".

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
For me, it's when you tye flies to imitate gear, such as using heavy mylar to imitate wobblers, synthetic tails, spinner blades, propellers, worms and the like and added scents. I don't mind synthetic imitations as long as other fly tying specific materials are used in conjunction with them. I have never been convinced that the standard fur and feathers imitations of crayfish, in particular, are very convincing.
And trolling, I really hate trolling. That falls into the "jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other" for me. I bought a book once about fly fishing WA lakes and the guy used one method, trolling in a gas powered boat using one fly, an olive woolly bugger. That, to me, is most definitely not fly fishing.
elitist... ;)

Fast Action Freddie

Having a drink in The Buff
I’m definitely in The Who gives a WTF camp — it’s ALL fly fishing... as long as the object with hook(s) on the end of your line is A) floating on the surface of the water (or within the surface film, but not below, and B) is taking by and hooked into a fish while it is being visually observed. That’s my very broad definition of fly fishing.

Kyle Smith

DBA BozoKlown406
There is a dumb fly fishing podcast out there where the two guys say "fly fishing" every time, rather than "fishing". I would guess that these dudes have a line where it isn't fly fishing anymore.

I don't like said podcast, they live in Chicago and love to namedrop some semi-zipper lip fishing spots in my area.

Even though I only use a fly rod (unless you sucker me into ice fishing), I consider myself a fisherman who specializes in fly fishing. I don't really care how I fish or how you fish, as long as works, is legal, and is fun.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
There is a dumb fly fishing podcast out there where the two guys say "fly fishing" every time, rather than "fishing". I would guess that these dudes have a line where it isn't fly fishing anymore.

I don't like said podcast, they live in Chicago and love to namedrop some semi-zipper lip fishing spots in my area.

Even though I only use a fly rod (unless you sucker me into ice fishing), I consider myself a fisherman who specializes in fly fishing. I don't really care how I fish or how you fish, as long as works, is legal, and is fun.
I have thought about this many times...from now on I will just type fishing...I am gonna try...it will be hard...it will keep my word count down...

It’s kinda funny that I started fly fishing when I moved to Arlington so I could fish the NF Stilly in the summer. Now the river is seldom open but I still like slinging the flies. Don’t catch nearly as many fish as I did with the gear
Still enjoy both but prefer the fly

P-FITZ98

Ah, the ethics committee sound off. Trolling isn’t fly fishing. Watching a bobber isn’t fly fishing, yadayada.....opinions are like a$$holes.... if I tie a 4/0 jig hook and my 10wt throws it , great. I’ve caught enough hammer handles, I like to target the bigger fish. And I learned long ago not to judge others and the methods they use.

Latest posts