When do you think “That ain’t fly fishing!” Or do you ?

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Ah, the ethics committee sound off. Trolling isn’t fly fishing. Watching a bobber isn’t fly fishing, yadayada.....opinions are like a$$holes.... if I tie a 4/0 jig hook and my 10wt throws it , great. I’ve caught enough hammer handles, I like to target the bigger fish. And I learned long ago not to judge others and the methods they use.
it I believe is less serious than all that. It is an ancient discussion since Dame Juliana Berners days...when someone accused her of using the wrong color bird feather.

mtskibum16

I'm in the don't give a shit camp, but if I had to loosely define it: If you are casting a fly line and the hook end is something you/someone tied/made then it's fly-fishing.

I say loosely because yeah you could make a spinner but that's clearly not what I mean. A micro-jig a pattern is tied on isn't any different than something with a bead head. A spinner blade on a massive bass popper @b_illymac style? Still counts as it's not the primary focus. There's a grey area for sure, but that goes back to I don't give a shit.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
It’s kinda funny that I started fly fishing when I moved to Arlington so I could fish the NF Stilly in the summer. Now the river is seldom open but I still like slinging the flies. Don’t catch nearly as many fish as I did with the gear
Still enjoy both but prefer the fly
I got a buddy that just moved to Arlington. He drinks beer and fishes with gear. He's not a fly fisherman. He wanted to be close to his daughter. We worked together at the lazy "B" for about 20 plus years. He likes his Mickey's Big Mouth beer. But will drink what evers around. His Name is Ted Munroe.

b_illymac

Member Active
I'm in the don't give a shit camp, but if I had to loosely define it: If you are casting a fly line and the hook end is something you/someone tied/made then it's fly-fishing.

I say loosely because yeah you could make a spinner but that's clearly not what I mean. A micro-jig a pattern is tied on isn't any different than something with a bead head. A spinner blade on a massive bass popper @b_illymac style? Still counts as it's not the primary focus. There's a grey area for sure, but that goes back to I don't give a shit.
IMG_20190318_163331_038.jpg
giphy-3.gif

Do what you want! I hope you have an awareness of the effect you have on the resource.
When regulations require 'fly fishing' for conservation reasons, then you have a 'legal' definition for fly fishing.
And, I hope if you run into a fly fishing 'purist' you'll be kind.

Latest posts