When do you think “That ain’t fly fishing!” Or do you ?

mtskibum16

Don't make me google....don't make me be this guy @Nick Clayton .....I don't like being this guy.

ac·ro·nym
  1. an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word
So whatever. Both? Almost? close enough. FFAF - pronounced Faf - acronym.

Perfect for the steelhead forum. The FFAF and the Furious.

Last edited:

Jake

(not really a sea otter)
For the “who gives a shit crowd”, the state often does when they make sections of rivers or certain lakes fly fishing only. That said, there are a lot of loopholes like you see on the Rogue River, etc.

For me, when I really think about it, it comes down to how the lure moves through the air when being cast. If it’s a weighted line pulling a relatively weightless lure through the air, I call it fly fishing. If it’s a relatively weightless line pulled through the air by a lure, I call it not fly fishing. I’m happy fly fishing or not fly fishing. The common denominator is that it’s fishing.

TDub

It's just fishing. Why make distinctions? For me, fly fishing is about the places it takes me. I could care less how someone fishes, as long as its legal.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Oh good, I was just sitting here wondering if someone online approved of my methods of fishing with a fly rod. Very timely thread. I'll be watching closely and taking notes.

Already I've learned I need to re think what I call fishing for lings with a fly and a fly rod.

Thanks WFF for keeping me updated on this stuff.
Aw shit, is there going to be a test here.

For me follow regs and being courteous to fellow fishers and the environment is what really matters. Really cool people and real aholes use both types...

Reading through this it does occur to me that some people make it way harder to fish a certain type of fly/lure on a fly rod than a gear rod. I can't imagine chucking some of that stuff. Wouldn't it just be more fun on a light spin rod? Yer welcome to have at it, just not my cup of tea.

Ultra light spin fishing is a blast
I fished Long Beach CA years ago with my buggy whip and a live anchovy hooked through nose. Free swimming. A 2-3 pound Bonito would wake you up fast
A fly rod and baitfish pattern would have been awesome too but I didn’t fly fish back then

Rob Allen

For me follow regs and being courteous to fellow fishers and the environment is what really matters. Really cool people and real aholes use both types...

Reading through this it does occur to me that some people make it way harder to fish a certain type of fly/lure on a fly rod than a gear rod. I can't imagine chucking some of that stuff. Wouldn't it just be more fun on a light spin rod? Yer welcome to have at it, just not my cup of tea.

For myself i tend to agree. For example with my bass fishing. When the fish are shallow fly fishing for them is great but if they are 15-25 feet down conventional gear is so much easier that it's just more fun
I don't fish deeper than 25 feet due to decompression. I know that isn't really an issue til about 30 feet but i like that cushion.

Ultra light spin fishing is a blast
I fished Long Beach CA years ago with my buggy whip and a live anchovy hooked through nose. Free swimming. A 2-3 pound Bonito would wake you up fast
A fly rod and baitfish pattern would have been awesome too but I didn’t fly fish back then
I used to carry a long spin rod for beach fishing in Santa Cruz to stop on the way home a wash off the work day. It was great. Pretty much guaranteed to get some surf perch and see some babes. Then I decided I could do it with a fly rod, sink line, and amnesia. Sure enough I could do it but man it was a lot of work. Eventually I went back to the spin rod and beer method. Waaaay better.

Jake

(not really a sea otter)
Hence the inclusion of "ethical" & "legal" in my "who gives a shit?" post ;).
Ha! I saw your bit about ethical and legal, but didn’t read all of the post close enough to see that you’d literally said that phrase. I meant no offense, and wasn’t responding to any one person with that bit. It just seemed some folks were ripping on what could have been a legit question to fill a gap in knowledge and not just philosophical masturbation.

Latest posts