When do you think “That ain’t fly fishing!” Or do you ?

Chris Bellows

Your Preferred WFF Poster
Definitions are a great discussion around a fire or in this case on the Internet. If nothing matters then we should all stop talking about fishing, period.

I have definitions I believe in. It doesn’t mean people cannot cross my lines as I have multiple times myself because all forms of fishing can be fun at times.

There used to be a BC based saltwater TV show where the host used a Sage fly rod and Lamson reel spooled with mono fishing gear off a downrigger. I’m sure almost all of us can agree that’s not fly fishing (note I don’t say all because this is the Internet after all). But ask yourself honestly if there’s much difference between that and bucktailing, which is mentioned reverently in saltwater fly fishing books because somehow changing the gear into a bucktailing fly changes everything. It’s a fun way of fishing, but it ain’t fly fishing. Indicator fishing beads is so much more flyfishing than bucktailing but garners far-more angst. I think it’s just the history of the fisheries in that the old way, even if not fly fishing, gets a pass while the new kid gets the stink-eye.

I despise certain techniques more for what they’ve done to fisheries than the definition. Some I don’t despise but I cannot stand to have called what it clearly isn’t. Many of these techniques are nice shortcuts to understand fisheries but the industry rarely pushes anglers to go past the shortcut.

Putting on flame retardant suitnow

FinLuver

For me, it's when you tye flies to imitate gear, such as using heavy mylar to imitate wobblers, synthetic tails, spinner blades, propellers, worms and the like and added scents. I don't mind synthetic imitations as long as other fly tying specific materials are used in conjunction with them. I have never been convinced that the standard fur and feathers imitations of crayfish, in particular, are very convincing.
And trolling, I really hate trolling. That falls into the "jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other" for me. I bought a book once about fly fishing WA lakes and the guy used one method, trolling in a gas powered boat using one fly, an olive woolly bugger. That, to me, is most definitely not fly fishing.
What about trolling Rangeley style Streamers...??
Those are flies. ;)

FinLuver

I view fishing rods like golf clubs. There is a time and place for every type of rod and reel based on the type of presentation you need to match speed/depth and species of fish targeted. I can't stand being one dimensional and I really don't like golf........
Kinda like takin' your Channellocks and hammerin' a nail...
right tool for the right job.

I view fishing rods like golf clubs. There is a time and place for every type of rod and reel based on the type of presentation you need to match speed/depth and species of fish targeted. I can't stand being one dimensional and I really don't like golf........

Agreed. I view myself as a fisherman. I have a wide range of experience. My "gear fishing" experience has made me better with a fly rod. My "fly fishing" experience has made me better with a gear rod.

No matter the gear of choice its all about finding fish and presenting your offering of choice in front of them. Anyone who gets hung up on definitions is missing out on a lot of potential knowledge and experience.

Sometimes I use a gear rod. Sometimes I use a fly rod. At all times I am fishing. If more people worried more about learning about their quarry and how to find them, they would probably catch more fish with their chosen gear.

FinLuver

Sometimes I use a gear rod. Sometimes I use a fly rod. At all times I am fishing. If more people worried more about learning about their quarry and how to find them, they would probably catch more fish with their chosen gear.
Ya don't have to go and get all... common sense logical on us.

Chris Bellows

Your Preferred WFF Poster
Agreed. I view myself as a fisherman. I have a wide range of experience. My "gear fishing" experience has made me better with a fly rod. My "fly fishing" experience has made me better with a gear rod.

No matter the gear of choice its all about finding fish and presenting your offering of choice in front of them. Anyone who gets hung up on definitions is missing out on a lot of potential knowledge and experience.

But when you're out fishing I bet you have an inkling of whether you're fly fishing or not.... therefore there is always a definition even if it is different between each angler.

Most can agree that we shouldn't look down on other ethical anglers using all types of gear, but the kumbaya crap whenever definitions come up is ridiculous.

Defining something isn't inherently bad. Disagreement and discussion can be a good thing. The OP thinks heavy sinking lines cross the threshold into non-flyfishing. Someone else mentioned synthetic flash on flies crossing the line. I'm sure we both disagree, but maybe we wonder whether heavy weight on the flies pushes it past that threshold for ourselves and we're biased because of where and what we fish for. A trout guy is going to have different ideas than a steelheader, and a salmon beach fisherman might even have different ideas than the offshore guy.

Defining fly fishing on a fly fishing forum seems sort of what one should be doing, especially in a thread about definitions. Shitting on someone's trip report is the wrong place but this seems perfectly fine to me.

Latest posts