When do you think “That ain’t fly fishing!” Or do you ?

I think it's kind of a fun exercise. Each and every one of us probably has a different definition of what makes fly fishing "fly" fishing some of which are more purist definitions than what others might define but then again what is "purist"? Ten years ago, nymphing seemed like jigging to me, I had grown up jigging WI lakes and rivers ad nauseum. 5 years after that, it's second nature and as pure to me as dry fly fishing, if not more pure considering how much more is going on under the water than above the water most days. Now-a-days, I still internally shirk a tiny bit at attractor patterns (copper johns, flashy synthetic laced flies, etc.) and absolutely relish nailing an imitation. I probably don't catch as much fish as I did "trolling" leech patterns on Eastern Washington lakes rowing as fast as humanly possible in my pontoon boat (I have to thank my close friend LL for that morcel of fun where we out fished the gear fisherman around us), I do (internally) view imitation and pattern/hatch matching with naturals the most purist approach to fly-fishing but far from the only. Will I discourage my toddler (2 going on 20) to fish in any way besides humane and as a conservationist?--Probably not. But considering that at 39 years of age, I'm currently more focused and wrapped up in the amazing scenery around me and art of casting and placing an imitation (matched to a hatch) as accurately and artfully as possible, that's my (own and personally) truest definition of fly-fishing.--I sure as heck don't catch nearly as much fish as I could, but that's not really my personal goal. Learning about the art of casting, imitation and the benthic ecology in the rivers I fish, is far more interesting to me.

Eyejuggler

High bank poacher
2" Buzzbomb on a 14 wt works for me OR I use these for Sturgeon on the Willamette...14wt as well...with scent. ;)

Rules are meant to be at least tested heavily, I foresee the blending of gear and fly very soon, who knows the outcome. Flymen fish skulls are the closest gear gets to Fly, but the Spawnflyfish heads are a major shift. I see them as an awesome tool under specific situations, but preference will vary. Welcome to the new age!
...meh ;)

Wyobee

I learned to fish with a nine foot, maybe 7wt pole sinking line and automatic reel, probably at the age if 6 or 7, but was using split shot and a worm. Caught some trout most days, but by 12 moved on to spin tackle and lures until say 15 and then took up flyfishing. By 21 I pretty much gave up all fishing unless I was going to kill and eat the fish, because why hook a fish, terrify it and cause it pain just for entertainment?

Today I fly fish for entertainment, mostly catch and release for trout. I mostly use bait and casting equipment to catch the fish I intend to eat, mostly walleye. I can't say I really let the two sports cross at all, but i always feel like the fly fishing end has a smugness that sickens me, because i know I'm kinda just being a rich prick that hurts fish just for fun.

dragless

2" Buzzbomb on a 14 wt works for me OR I use these for Sturgeon on the Willamette...14wt as well...with scent. ;)

Rules are meant to be at least tested heavily, I foresee the blending of gear and fly very soon, who knows the outcome. Flymen fish skulls are the closest gear gets to Fly, but the Spawnflyfish heads are a major shift. I see them as an awesome tool under specific situations, but preference will vary. Welcome to the new age!
...meh ;)
How many sturgeon have you caught on fly gear?...I always wondered if it would be possible to get one on a 14 weight.We have some monster fish around our neck.How do you get your big fly down on bottom?

jamma

What about trolling Rangeley style Streamers...??
Those are flies. ;)
Had to Google this one as I was unfamiliar with that style of fly. But firstly, let me say, I have always said one of the things I like about fly fishing is that you can approach it at any angle you wish, it's all good. There are all sorts of grey areas. Is fishing with a spinning rod using a bobber and a dry fly fly fishing? I think at some level all you need is a fly rod and reel and everything else is fair game.
But to answer your question, from my perspective, hell no!, stand up and cast that sucker! :D Good fishing.

jamma

Flyfishing, fishing, agates, birdwatching, hiking, any reason to be outside because I know a Cougar has my name on it, and I cannot fulfil my destiny of being catnip by sitting and watching tv.

Going out screaming in pretty scenery is my perfect way to checkout!
I read a story once about an old gapper who used to fish a local fishing hole every day. One day he was found collapsed on the bank next to his fly rod. When they reeled it in, they found he had a twenty inch brown trout on the end. That's how I want to go.

Latest posts