Mirage II vs III for H3 5wt

I just acquired an Orvis Helios 3d 5wt 9' and am new to fly fishing. I'm trying to decide on a great match up in a reel for this beauty. First thought was the Mirage II or III but not sure which of the two to decide on since the II has a 3-5 range and the III has a 5-7 range.

My plan is to fish for lake and sometimes river trout. Also looking to fish larger waters for larger fish and not sure what max. size fish this thing is capable of nabbing up.

I'm thinking this couldn't handle anything too big which is why I'm also debating on getting a 7wt for those larger water/fish days and why I'm leaning towards the III since it would cover both rod specs.

Any suggestions, thoughts or ideas?

Thanks in advance for the responses!!✌

Bruce Baker

I just acquired an Orvis Helios 3d 5wt 9' and am new to fly fishing. I'm trying to decide on a great match up in a reel for this beauty. First thought was the Mirage II or III but not sure which of the two to decide on since the II has a 3-5 range and the III has a 5-7 range.

My plan is to fish for lake and sometimes river trout. Also looking to fish larger waters for larger fish and not sure what max. size fish this thing is capable of nabbing up.

I'm thinking this couldn't handle anything too big which is why I'm also debating on getting a 7wt for those larger water/fish days and why I'm leaning towards the III since it would cover both rod specs.

Since you are sticking to freshwater and you are fishing a 5 wt., you may want to consider the Mirage LT that will be coming out in May. About $180 difference between to two reels in Size III

Since you are sticking to freshwater and you are fishing a 5 wt., you may want to consider the Mirage LT that will be coming out in May. About $180 difference between to two reels in Size III
I considered that LT but kinda lost me since it stopped at 4 and defeated the purpose of potentially using both rods and 1 reel.

Since @miyawaki and @802flyfish recommended the Mirage III for your needs, which I am presuming is to cover both rods, wouldn't a Mirage LT III work? It looked like the LT also held a tad more backing for the 7 wt.
I saw both of their recommendations and am certainly leaning towards the III for sure. I think the LT would struggle with the 7wt though.

I appreciate the responses for sure though and if I were to use just the 5wt, I was considering using the LT but I want to see if using the III for both(as I said in the beginning)would be smart and practical or not since I mentioned the "big waters & associated fish" along with everything else. If I were to go for the LT, I'm certain I'm limiting myself.

Bruce Baker

I saw both of their recommendations and am certainly leaning towards the III for sure. I think the LT would struggle with the 7wt though.

I appreciate the responses for sure though and if I were to use just the 5wt, I was considering using the LT but I want to see if using the III for both(as I said in the beginning)would be smart and practical or not since I mentioned the "big waters & associated fish" along with everything else. If I were to go for the LT, I'm certain I'm limiting myself.
Sounds good. Please let us know what you ultimately decide and get.

Richard E

The III.

Obi Wan Miyawaki (aka Mr. Orvis) recommends it, and I emphatically concur.

That’s a great outfit for a beginner; arguably one of the highest performing rods out there! You won’t grow out of it...

Now, the trick is matching up the right line for it. See if you can get a combo deal with that Mirage III and an Orvis Hydros line...

Richard E

I'm still looking for some responses regarding the actual size fish size these max out on. Last thing I want to do is snap a rod.
You can catch some darn nice fish on that 5 weight. Many times it’s the conditions and the flies used that dictate the line weight. I’ve been bonefishing where your rod would have been just fine for the quarry; however, the weighted fly and windy conditions dictated a higher line weight.

It’s typically user error that precipitates and causes rod breakage.

The III.

Obi Wan Miyawaki (aka Mr. Orvis) recommends it, and I emphatically concur.

That’s a great outfit for a beginner; arguably one of the highest performing rods out there! You won’t grow out of it...

Now, the trick is matching up the right line for it. See if you can get a combo deal with that Mirage III and an Orvis Hydros line...
Hydros I have far too much of so I think I've got that covered. Lol.

You can catch some darn nice fish on that 5 weight. Many times it’s the conditions and the flies used that dictate the line weight. I’ve been bonefishing where your rod would have been just fine for the quarry; however, the weighted fly and windy conditions dictated a higher line weight.

It’s typically user error that precipitates and causes rod breakage.
I've been told that the H3 probably won't be able to hang with a burly brown trout. So I'm concerned about that. Oh and that was by an Orvis store.

I dunno, I've nabbed some pretty burly trout on a Tenkara so I was a bit blown away when told that about the H3.

Wyobee

I was fishing a 7wt for 16" trout today, pulling streamers and then switched over to a nymph rig for awhile. The river, in theory has trout in the 25 to 30 inche range, seen maybe a 22'. For me it just easier chucking heavy stuff with a heavier rod, but I think the 5 is plenty for any trout in the lower 48.

I was fishing a 7wt for 16" trout today, pulling streamers and then switched over to a nymph rig for awhile. The river, in theory has trout in the 25 to 30 inche range, seen maybe a 22'. For me it just easier chucking heavy stuff with a heavier rod, but I think the 5 is plenty for any trout in the lower 48.
Well, THAT'S reassuring!

Latest posts