Mirage II vs III for H3 5wt

Salt is where the expensive reels are really necessary, and then only if they are being used regularly, the salt just corrodes metal. The fish are bigger, faster and stronger, so the capacity for 200yds+ of backing and 10lbs of drag are actually necessary for a 150lb tarpon. I doubt any 100$ fly reel on the market today would actually fail to land any freshwater trout even after heavy use, so it really just comes down to if it makes you feel like, damn this is awesome, and yes its awesome to fish nice gear.

The rod you've purchased is sweet but it takes alot of casting to get used to a fast rod. I made the mistake of buying a faster sage as my first expensive rod and it actually handicapped my casting but in truth my cast sucked even before I bought it .
I've enjoyed faster rods on spinning reels so I guess I'll see if this transfers over well with fly fishing.

Richard E

I would like to address what seems to be my coming across as "uppity" and "saving myself " The problem with social media and the communication process these days is that there's zero way of showing emotion or feelings unless one is using a bunch of ✌ which can come across as a complete teenager at times or saying things such as "thanks " or the almost always "thank you " which is typical of a good solid upbringing which I'm proud to say is how I was raised and I do believe that is exactly what I've been doing during this exchange last time I checked.

Am I a newbie to fishing? No. I believe I've started this string saying just that. Am I a newbie to fly fishing? Yep. Do I really like nice things for my hobbies? Yep. Mainly because I don't want to purchase twice and spend more in the long run.

I'm still leery of the Hydros and that's really only because of a lot of negative reviews people are having with them. Type in Hydros in Google and look for yourself. In speaking to the Orvis guy today, I mentioned the negative issues and we kinda came to the conclusion that SOME of those issues were probably user error. None the less, I'm looking for good long term product not something that's going to crap out or give grief in a year or two.

Am I a relentless researcher? YES I AM. So my "life altering event" (btw, got a good laugh on that one. I needed it. THANKS!)has thankfully concluded for now.

I REALLY want to thank all of you for your responses. The PNW has always been a fantastic place to call home. Mainly because of the solid, positive attitudes everywhere I've been. From Seattle to Spokane and everywhere in between!✌
Type in Hydros SL. Hydros was the earlier version.

man, you really like to overthink this. Get into the store and check them out for yourself.

The II or III would both work, and work great. The H3 is bomber....tough as hell and casts like a dream, not to mention super accurate.

If you're breaking your rod fighting a trout, any trout....stop high-sticking and fight it with the butt.
Yes, I have an overthinking problem for sure. Lol.

I've been in the store and the II was my choice.

Super accurate is what I'm glad to hear!

It's funny because I went into the same store and asked about the capabilities of the rod in 5wt and this time another guy said, this rod is fine for larger fish. So also good to hear.

Richard E

Ok Im definitely done with this one. I've never seen someone over think a 5 wt reel purchase so strongly.

This thread stinks of PatrickH and Seal Skinz. You're admittedly new to FF. I am not. Neither are most of the folks in this thread whose opinions you seem to easily discount.

By all means believe the guy trying to make a sale. His opinion definitely isn't biased.

Good luck in your search for the perfect 5 wt reel. I hope you enjoy its high quality as it sits there and holds your line on a trout stream. I'll remove myself from this thread and go back to actually using the gear you are researching on Google.
Attaboy.

Ok Im definitely done with this one. I've never seen someone over think a 5 wt reel purchase so strongly.

This thread stinks of PatrickH and Seal Skinz. You're admittedly new to FF. I am not. Neither are most of the folks in this thread whose opinions you seem to easily discount.

By all means believe the guy trying to make a sale. His opinion definitely isn't biased.

Good luck in your search for the perfect 5 wt reel. I hope you enjoy its high quality as it sits there and holds your line on a trout stream. I'll remove myself from this thread and go back to actually using the gear you are researching on Google.
Nick! Appreciate your patience. Have a wonderful day!

jasmillo

Sorry, just came a cross this thread and felt the need to hop in. For anyone in the future researching reels who happens to come accross this thread, the Orvis SL series is hands down the best value in reels today. I have no kids and a very understanding wife so I have the ability to buy whatever gear I want for the most part. I can not justify buying any other reel since functionality and durability is what I am looking for. If you don’t take my word for it, consider the saltwater guides word (Nick C.) who swears by them in this thread.

I just received my 4th in the mail today. Outside of a couple holdover Nautilus reels and a few Ross CLA’s, I am now using the Hydros series almost exclusively. Until I need a big specialty reel or something better comes out, I will do most of my fishing with these.

If you spend more than what an Orvis SL costs on a reel, especially for a trout rod you are spending that extra $$ on a status symbol. No shame in that but realize that is what you are doing. You are not getting a better drag, you are not getting more duarability. I hit the beach 8-12 times a month year around and have fished my two SL III’s almost exclusively in the salt for the last year They are rock solid and smooth as butter still and I am not great at rinsing my gear after every use.

One last thing I’d consider the II for a 5 weight. I am thinking the III might be a bit heavy. I bought the II for my 4 weight but it will do just fine on my 5 as well.

@Windwarrior I am not sure what reviews you are reading but it seems to be the opposite of what I have seen. I also think the guy @ the Orvis shop did a nice job trying to up sell you. In the end, you seem to have gotten what you were looking for at a great price and that’s great. For others looking for a great reel at a great price consider the Orvis Hydros SL.

I have 3 different hydros sl-3 reels I fish primarily on 6wt rods. They’re awesome. I’ve bought them at different times. The drag on works great on each reel, but it’s not consistent from reel to reel! On one 6 clicks is a lot stronger than another. Anyone else notice this or just me?

Also, I recently got an 8wt for going after bass and pike in some Michigan lakes. I have an 8wt type 5 line I’m planing to load up on the sl-3. Weight wise the reel seems comparable to some true 8wt reels, so I don’t think balance will be an issue. Any downside to using this line on an sl-3 besides a little bit less backing?

Being closer to New to fly fishing than seasoned myself here are some thoughts.
5wt is the default recommendation for trout. And it will handle the majority of the fish you get into in lakes and rivers.
The weight of the rod is primarily to match the weight of the line required to cast the type and size fly you are presenting to the fish.
For trout in lakes and rivers, the reel is essentially a means of holding the line. Unlike spinning and casting reels, a fly reel rarely takes an active role in landing a trout in these water bodies.
Fly fishing can be a money sucking vortex. Just read a few of the threads of how many rods some seasoned anglers have, and that is before one gets into tying flies.
Based on the comments and advice from this thread, and even if money was not a factor, I would lean towards the Hydros SL. Particularly knowing that swapping one reel between two rods inevitably leads to purchasing a reel to dedicate to the second rod (been there done that).

Being closer to New to fly fishing than seasoned myself here are some thoughts.
5wt is the default recommendation for trout. And it will handle the majority of the fish you get into in lakes and rivers.
The weight of the rod is primarily to match the weight of the line required to cast the type and size fly you are presenting to the fish.
For trout in lakes and rivers, the reel is essentially a means of holding the line. Unlike spinning and casting reels, a fly reel rarely takes an active role in landing a trout in these water bodies.
Fly fishing can be a money sucking vortex. Just read a few of the threads of how many rods some seasoned anglers have, and that is before one gets into tying flies.
Based on the comments and advice from this thread, and even if money was not a factor, I would lean towards the Hydros SL. Particularly knowing that swapping one reel between two rods inevitably leads to purchasing a reel to dedicate to the second rod (been there done that).
If there's ONE thing I've learned rather quickly during this process is the Vortex!!! LOL!!

I went with the Mirage II primarily due to the ridiculous price that I received it for and it was brand new. I say primarily because after responses that I received (most were excellent btw and much appreciated) I noticed there wasn't a plethora of people chiming in, it was more like 3 or 4 and with the combination of that, my coworkers AND the reviews (I looked at the 1&2 ratings to see issues with the Hydros SL) I came to the conclusion that I was going to make my own decision.

In the end and after a few days of using my Mirage, I LOVE it! I'm going to consider the Hydros III however with an extra reel since I'm already eyeballing an Asquith 6wt which from what I'm told, fishes more like a 7, would be a good match at a good price. Hopefully, I won't regret either(that whole vortex thing). :D:p:cool: