Rowing Seats // Sore Back ?

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Kind of a multi-faceted question/post but curious to hear everyone's thoughts....

I tend to have a sore lower back after a day's rowing. I assume part of it is my posture or something, but also curious if a higher back rowers seat would help? I've only ever rowed in low back 'tractor' style seats, or rowed on top of a cooler/box/bench with no back support.

For those of you that have rowed w/ a higher back seat, what are the downsides?

Potential options are:

1554767725671.png 1554767830002.png

the_grube

I have the 'fairly high back' seat that came stock with my Outcast pontoon boat as in the pic below. I have to say my back feels fine after a hard day rowing. It's tired, but, in a normal way like you expect after hard exercise, not like anything is strained or stressed. I'm super careful about posture, and making sure that legs and core are engaged as I row.

I really don't know of any downside to a high back seat, except that you can get pushed forward a bit with your PFD if the seat back comes up too high.

1554768344133.png

Hem

Spent the morning digging a 50' trench 18" deep with a pick axe thingy. Arms felt like an apes but otherwise okay. Rather row a boat.
The rowing back problem sounds like posture. Lean back more when you are pouring the coal. A high back seat would drive me bonkers.

Old406Kid

Spent the morning digging a 50' trench 18" deep with a pick axe thingy. Arms felt like an apes but otherwise okay. Rather row a boat.
The rowing back problem sounds like posture. Lean back more when you are pouring the coal. A high back seat would drive me bonkers.
Agreed, especially if you're on technical enough water that you occasionally need to dig in.

Jeremy Floyd

fly fishing my way through life
I find that it’s a factor of how much hunching I do, by being lazy with my posture.

Your torso gets worked on a boat, and a few weekends a year doesn’t build those muscles up enough..

Lifting 20 lb chromers each run I fish is all the workout I need.
You lifting those heavies with your back or your knees?

My back gets sore when I do rivers with long easy stretches but not technical waters. This leads my to think my problem is posture. A couple minutes of the figure 4 stretch and I’m back to good. That said my hips are fuct so your mileage may vary.

Latest posts