Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rowing Seats // Sore Back ?

2K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  cms829 
#1 ·
Kind of a multi-faceted question/post but curious to hear everyone's thoughts....

I tend to have a sore lower back after a day's rowing. I assume part of it is my posture or something, but also curious if a higher back rowers seat would help? I've only ever rowed in low back 'tractor' style seats, or rowed on top of a cooler/box/bench with no back support.

For those of you that have rowed w/ a higher back seat, what are the downsides?

Potential options are:

Furniture Chair Outdoor furniture Rectangle Comfort
Furniture Comfort Automotive tire Rectangle Automotive design

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the 'fairly high back' seat that came stock with my Outcast pontoon boat as in the pic below. I have to say my back feels fine after a hard day rowing. It's tired, but, in a normal way like you expect after hard exercise, not like anything is strained or stressed. I'm super careful about posture, and making sure that legs and core are engaged as I row.

I really don't know of any downside to a high back seat, except that you can get pushed forward a bit with your PFD if the seat back comes up too high.

Automotive lighting Gas Font Electric blue Watercraft

#4 ·
Spent the morning digging a 50' trench 18" deep with a pick axe thingy. Arms felt like an apes but otherwise okay. Rather row a boat.
The rowing back problem sounds like posture. Lean back more when you are pouring the coal. A high back seat would drive me bonkers.

#16 ·
Pitched the low seat in my Clacka years ago for a high back. Also raised it up three inches. Upside, my wife's back is much better=I catch more fish. Downside--pulling hard in that "oh shit" situation we both have to scoot up a little. Oars don't store across seats anymore. Makes a better sail for those windy days on the Mo.

#17 ·
I have used both the low and high back tractor seats from NRS. The few times I used the high back seat, I found I never really used the upper portion at all anyway so I went back to the low back because its easier to stack other boats. Luckily I don't have any back problems. I suppose if in the future I do, I will try the high back seat again and see if it helps.

#19 ·
I started with the low NRS seat and have since thrown a high back on there and find it much more comfortable. Sure, when your rowing hard your likely not utilizing it, but its nice to have the extra support when your not rowing hard and can lean back a bit. Or when your anchored up on a riser for 20 minutes while your buddy cant catch it. You can sit back and relax.

#26 ·
I have a web seat on my drift boat, but I can scoot back a little and lean against the casting brace if/when my back gets tired. It's kind of the best of both worlds. It's not in the way if I really need to dig in, but there when I need it. My friend who has a bad back really likes this setup. He wants to add something similar to his drift boat.

Water Boat Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle

#31 ·
I have the 'fairly high back' seat that came stock with my Outcast pontoon boat as in the pic below. I have to say my back feels fine after a hard day rowing. It's tired, but, in a normal way like you expect after hard exercise, not like anything is strained or stressed. I'm super careful about posture, and making sure that legs and core are engaged as I row.

I really don't know of any downside to a high back seat, except that you can get pushed forward a bit with your PFD if the seat back comes up too high.

View attachment 198905
Core muscles are key to a healthy back, whether it's rowing, bicycling, skiing...Whatever.

#32 ·
Ironically I find a rope seat way less fatiguing and soreness producing. I believe it's because a guy can move around a bit in slightly different positions. I like to hang my ass way off the back and lean forward for a mid day stretch row yoga move. I find tractor seats are too confining and don't allow any variability in position therefore make you sore. Plus high back seats encourage poor core strength and engagement. You only get a stronger core by using it and a rope seat or similar forces use. That pain is weakness leaving your body.

#34 · (Edited)
Kind of a multi-faceted question/post but curious to hear everyone's thoughts....

I tend to have a sore lower back after a day's rowing. I assume part of it is my posture or something, but also curious if a higher back rowers seat would help? I've only ever rowed in low back 'tractor' style seats, or rowed on top of a cooler/box/bench with no back support.

For those of you that have rowed w/ a higher back seat, what are the downsides?

Potential options are:

View attachment 198898 View attachment 198903
Who are you kidding? You never row. It's called Golfy's T-Rex arms syndrome......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.