Rowing Seats // Sore Back ?

steelydan

Newb seeking wisdom
I have the 'fairly high back' seat that came stock with my Outcast pontoon boat as in the pic below. I have to say my back feels fine after a hard day rowing. It's tired, but, in a normal way like you expect after hard exercise, not like anything is strained or stressed. I'm super careful about posture, and making sure that legs and core are engaged as I row.

I really don't know of any downside to a high back seat, except that you can get pushed forward a bit with your PFD if the seat back comes up too high.

View attachment 198905
Core muscles are key to a healthy back, whether it's rowing, bicycling, skiing...Whatever.

Ironically I find a rope seat way less fatiguing and soreness producing. I believe it's because a guy can move around a bit in slightly different positions. I like to hang my ass way off the back and lean forward for a mid day stretch row yoga move. I find tractor seats are too confining and don't allow any variability in position therefore make you sore. Plus high back seats encourage poor core strength and engagement. You only get a stronger core by using it and a rope seat or similar forces use. That pain is weakness leaving your body.

Kind of a multi-faceted question/post but curious to hear everyone's thoughts....

I tend to have a sore lower back after a day's rowing. I assume part of it is my posture or something, but also curious if a higher back rowers seat would help? I've only ever rowed in low back 'tractor' style seats, or rowed on top of a cooler/box/bench with no back support.

For those of you that have rowed w/ a higher back seat, what are the downsides?

Potential options are:

View attachment 198898 View attachment 198903
Who are you kidding? You never row. It's called Golfy's T-Rex arms syndrome......

Last edited:

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Thanks for the recommendations, fellas! Good bye, back aches.
I'm curious what useful conclusion you were able to draw from this thread?

All I got out of this is some new material for my next stand up routine and a half chub from swimmy's pic. Although to be fair, that describes the majority of WFF threads.

Latest posts