Tick Removal

I saw this on FB and thought this would be good to pass on here. Some of our water gets a little creepy Crawley. Especially for our 4 legged friends

GOOD TO KNOW! Tick Removal: A nurse discovered a safe, easy way to remove ticks where they automatically withdraw themselves when you follow her simple instructions. "I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. "Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tickwith the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20); the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.

T

Trapper

I saw this on FB and thought this would be good to pass on here. Some of our water gets a little creepy Crawley. Especially for our 4 legged friends

GOOD TO KNOW! Tick Removal: A nurse discovered a safe, easy way to remove ticks where they automatically withdraw themselves when you follow her simple instructions. "I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. "Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tickwith the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20); the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.
Phil. You may mean well, but this endorsement is misguided bordering on irresponsible.

Instead of relying on social media, I’d suggest you go to the CDC:

Tick Removal
Removing a tick
If you find a tick attached to your skin, there’s no need to panic—the key is to remove the tick as soon as possible. There are several tick removal devices on the market, but a plain set of fine-tipped tweezers work very well.

How to remove a tick

Use fine-tipped tweezers to grasp the tick as close to the skin’s surface as possible.

Pull upward with steady, even pressure. Don’t twist or jerk the tick; this can cause the mouth-parts to break off and remain in the skin. If this happens, remove the mouth-parts with tweezers. If you are unable to remove the mouth easily with clean tweezers, leave it alone and let the skin heal.

After removing the tick, thoroughly clean the bite area and your hands with rubbing alcohol or soap and water.

Never crush a tick with your fingers. Dispose of a live tick by putting it in alcohol, placing it in a sealed bag/container, wrapping it tightly in tape, or flushing it down the toilet.

clipart style image showing the proper removal of a tick using a pair of tweezers

Follow-up
If you develop a rash or fever within several weeks of removing a tick, see your doctor. Be sure to tell the doctor about your recent tick bite, when the bite occurred, and where you most likely acquired the tick.

Avoid folklore remedies such as “painting” the tick with nail polish or petroleum jelly, or using heat to make the tick detach from the skin. Your goal is to remove the tick as quickly as possible–not waiting for it to detach.
I get ticks every year. I find 99% before they embed into my hide. I burn them after removal with a lighter.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
"Tick Twisters" (there are several companies who make similar products) beat tweezers.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...bing&msclkid=31b50f21437d1a1292e0538dcdfa1130

Tweezers were my "go to" before I discovered these. Twisters are easy to carry in a wallet, etc., quick & effective, and unlike tweezers cause no discomfort and don't remove the chunk of skin/tissue that ticks are secured to like tweezers do. Twisters compress a tick's mouth parts which prevent it from regurgitating into the the wound; as the mouth parts are compressed by the light twisting motion, the tick can no longer hold-on and comes-out easily.

Attachments

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
e use to back them out with a burnt wood match when I was a kid
Anything you do to agitate an imbedded tick, squeezing the body, or prolonged attachment to a host can result in a tick regurgitating into the bite wound. THAT is how Spotted Fever, Lyme Disease & any of the other biological hazards that ticks can carry are introduced. The quicker & most effectively you can remove a tick, the better.

Anything you do to agitate an imbedded tick, squeezing the body, or prolonged attachment to a host can result in a tick regurgitating into the bite wound. THAT is how Spotted Fever, Lyme Disease & any of the other biological hazards that ticks can carry are introduced. The quicker & most effectively you can remove a tick, the better.
Ya I have a friend with Lime Disease from a tick. Bad shit.

the_grube

Got my first tick ever after moving from the Seattle area to Douglas county. I'll never hike in shorts through the brush around here again. I'd rather be a few degrees warmer when bush-wacking than be offering my soft tissue and corpuscles to those disgusting things.

FinLuver

Got my first tick ever after moving from the Seattle area to Douglas county. I'll never hike in shorts through the brush around here again. I'd rather be a few degrees warmer when bush-wacking than be offering my soft tissue and corpuscles to those disgusting things.
I recommend pulling up and burning poison oak, followed by scratching your nether-region...
Also recommend swimming in a chlorinated pool or taking a bath with some chlorine bleach added (not too much), to help dry the oils.
Build up the immunity over time.

Ticks, rattle snakes, and poison oak are common in the region.

So are hippies and pot, but hey...

It's still paradise!!

[ps: stay out of the smoke if burning poison oak; the smoke contains the same oils and you can get a rash on you and some major lung problems.]

PSA over...

T

Trapper

Perfect, Jim!

All this social media bullshit about how their sister’s next door neighbor’s second cousin’s boyfriend once dated a nursing student . . .

First, if you get them on you, don’t start flailing your arms like a helicopter and screaming like you’re on fire. It’s an arachnid not a hundred heavily armed ISIS Jihadists. Don’t pick them off and toss them on the ground!

Take it off and kill it. I like burning because as a cook I always have a lighter. They don’t like a full burning wood stove much. They are not easily smashed.

Latest posts