Tick Removal

GAT

Dumbfounded
Do you have a preferred bug spray?

And, the heads on those little critters are pretty darn small, and when it’s imbedded, how does one know if the head has not been left in the skin?
I use Deep Woods Off or Sawyers. So far, I haven't seen much of a difference. I spray the stuff mainly on my clothes and especially my hat. If a tick does drop on me, they are not too keen on the smell of the spray so they bail off.

When you pull the tick out, you should be able to see a head, if you can't, there's a good chance it is still in your skin.

jwg

I've read that ticks hang out on the ends of grass blades or branches, and drop off when an animal brushes the plant. So I avoid brushing the vegetation, as much as possible.
j

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
I use Deep Woods Off or Sawyers. So far, I haven't seen much of a difference. I spray the stuff mainly on my clothes and especially my hat.
If you spray repellent meant for your skin on clothing, don't make the same mistake I did several years ago thinking that it's going to work all day and leave the bug spray in the car. The trip below is why I sought out Permethrin that is effective for weeks on clothing...
...On the way out the mosquitoes at the meadows were hellacious, the bug spray effectiveness had diminished, and like a dummy I’d left the bug juice in the car thinking the treated clothes would last the entire day. But I had stuck a bug headnet I treated my lovely wife gave me as a stocking stuffer sometime ago in my back pocket. THAT was relief.
View attachment 17655

The bugs were so thick in the meadows on the way out I just threw my stuff in the back of the car, quickly jumped in and drove in my wading boots down to an inn where I changed into sandals while sipping an Expedition Amber Ale.

Last edited:
I brought one of these with me back east, and the ticks were too small.
Well, that's where I bought it- "back east".... just a few miles from the infamous Lyme, Connecticut. It's where Lyme disease originated, hence the name.

It worked well to remove the ticks for me, but we didn't get any of the really small ones. According to the folks we talked to back there, it's the small ticks that they’re most concerned about. They said those were the species that were more apt to transmit Lyme disease.

Last edited:
Perfect, Jim!

All this social media bullshit about how their sister’s next door neighbor’s second cousin’s boyfriend once dated a nursing student . . .

First, if you get them on you, don’t start flailing your arms like a helicopter and screaming like you’re on fire. It’s an arachnid not a hundred heavily armed ISIS Jihadists. Don’t pick them off and toss them on the ground!

Take it off and kill it. I like burning because as a cook I always have a lighter. They don’t like a full burning wood stove much. They are not easily smashed.
This was great! Made me laugh out loud.

msteudel

Mark Steudel
Well, that's where I bought it- "back east".... just a few miles from the infamous Lyme, Connecticut. It's where Lyme disease originated, hence the name.

It worked well to remove the ticks for me, but we didn't get any of the really small ones. According to the folks we talked to back there, it's the small ticks that they’re most concerned about. They said those were the species that were more apt to transmit Lyme disease.
My in-laws have all got Lyme, but they mke it out likes it’s not a huge deal, just look for the bullseye and then take doxy for a week.

It's not big deal if you get the bullseye and treat it promptly. The early symptoms are minor "flu like systems". If it is not killed then it hides in your nervous system and wreaks havoc- pain, brain fog, fatigue, etc. My daughter suffered with this disease for three years. It's gone now, but if you are an adult and it gets to that stage it won't go away.

Latest posts