NFR Insomnia....and what I’m going to do about it.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Two nights in a row I’ve been unable to fall asleep (meaning i was awake past 3 am) because i can’t quiet my runaway brain. I’ve had this problem since i was a little girl. It has gotten worse as i’ve gotten older. I thought being retired would make a difference but it doesn’t, though thankfully i don’t have the added stress of knowing i have to get up and go to work.

Here is what my brain did last night - pretty much in this exact order:

1. Last day of bowling tomorrow. My hip is hurting me. Should i take some ibuprofen now or wait until tomorrow since it’s a running day?

2. I don’t want to take too much ibuprofen. I need to Google how much is too much.

3. i think i’m going to give myself a day off from running. It’s going to rain anyway which means it will frizz my hair for bowling.

4. I don’t think i like this new haircut i got last week. It’s too short. I’m going to grow it back out again.

5. If i don’t run tomorrow that means i have to run Wednesday and that works out so i don’t have to run when i babysit Saturday morning.

6. I need to buy little Bodie (my other great nephew) a first birthday present soon. I think i’ll get him a Mariner’s jersey since they are playing so well.

Etc. Etc. Etc....
I’ve tried to figure out why this happens to me sometimes. I can count on one hand how often i sleep through the whole night in a year. And lying awake past 2 or 3 am happens about 3-4 times a month and it’s so frustrating. (One night i never went to sleep at all.)

I’ve tried the route of not eating dinner or eating early., I gave up drinking Fresca which i used to love and any kind of pop, period. I only drink one cup of coffee in the morning. I gave up having any wine for days. Nothing changed with restless sleep. Pot butter does help but i don’t like to use it too often so i don’t.

F7F8C3AA-B5F6-4879-BEF5-91D8359AEFF3.jpeg I figured it out and can no longer deny it: It’s my iPad. I’ve known for a long time that screens are a problem for insomnia but i brushed it off because I struggled with sleep even before they were invented. But as it has gotten worse i think i does have to do with the iPad since i have only had one for about 5 years.

I read almost all of my books on my iPad now and since i’m on book #20 since January i’m using it a lot because i can read for hours in a row....not to mention the time i spend here and also i like to play Wordscape each morning (to keep my brain active). Then there is my near obsession for research.

A year ago we took a trip for a week once and put away all devices. We only checked out phones and iPads once in the morning and once in the evening. And it was great and not hard once we decided to do that. (And i remembered that I did sleep better which is really difficult when you are not in your own bed.)

So this morning I have gone into my library site and have started putting physical books on hold that I’ve already placed holds on as an ebook. Also i’m going to cut back my time here on this site. I can set Alexa on a timer to remind me. Also i will quit watching the news in the late evening before going to bed. That has to help too.

I know lots of us must have insomnia.... What do y’all do for it?

Last edited:

Chromer J

Have you downloaded a blue light filter to your device? Certain wavelengths of light emitted from screens mess with your brain's behind-the-scenes control of your sleep rhythm. The blue light filters available for download are supposed to shut off those light frequencies to minimize interference with your sleep rhythms when using the screen. When the filters are applied, screen colors are only slightly different.

Bowbonehead

I find that if I go out for a good hike, day of skiing, day of fishing or just a good solid day of yardwork I sleep like a charm its when I do not do enough physical activity during the day that I have a hard time sleeping..... might be worth a try..... oh and I do not have a device so my blue light is limited to when i am actually home and sitting at the computer..... see ya got to get my bike ride in while the weathers good.....

Sorry to hear that, insomnia sucks. This has been an ongoing problem for my wife. For years. Last week she got sick and decided to take NyQuil. Slept through the night consecutive nights.

For me that equates to, take two Benadryl, wait about 20 or 30 minutes, have two drinks of your favorite alcohol and go directly to bed. No screen, no reading. That's what I do for long airplane rides and it seems to work. Relatively harmless and worth a try.

LyNcH

Steelhead Junkie
Take adderall, xanax or boring old melatonin.

Seriously, you should look into DBT. Dialectical Behavior Therapy. No joke. It's works and is worth it.

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
when I need to sleep i have my wife watch one of those relationship tv shows. Works faster on me than one of them ambien pills. I don't have to watch a 90 minute tv show to determine both people in the couples are flakey.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Have you downloaded a blue light filter to your device? Certain wavelengths of light emitted from screens mess with your brain's behind-the-scenes control of your sleep rhythm. The blue light filters available for download are supposed to shut off those light frequencies to minimize interference with your sleep rhythms when using the screen. When the filters are applied, screen colors are only slightly different.
Hahahaha!!! Now i’m going to obsessively start researching blue light filters.

I have tried melatonin and Benadryl (Benadryl actually wired me instead of making me sleep). I would love to take Xanax every day (cause it also helps me not care about my ongoing 24 hour a day tinnitus ) but i don’t want to get addicted and i only usually have 2 or 4 Xanax leftover from when i get my doctor to prescribe it for air travel.

The thing about insomnia is that at least i can read when it happens, but that is the dilemma. Any recommendations on apps?

I just timing myself with Alexa to only 20 minutes of screen time. Let’s see how this goes!

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
when I need to sleep i have my wife watch one of those relationship tv shows. Works faster on me than one of them ambien pills. I don't have to watch a 90 minute tv show to determine both people in the couples are flakey.
I started DVRing Morgan Freeman’s God show because if Morgan Freeman’s voice can’t put me to sleep, nothing will!

No problem falling asleep but I wake up every night - 2 o'clock or so and can't go back to sleep. Don't want to take a sleeping aide at 2 so I toss around a lot. My wife hates it but she's a shitty sleeper too

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation & ... (A New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook) https://www.amazon.com/dp/1572245131/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MbnRCbK1JXSXG
I just took a peek inside that book and i don’t think it’s for me. Thank you , but I don’t related to any of those things to check off on that ‘test’ on the first page. That’s not my problem with insomnia. Edited to add: As you can see from my list of things i thought about....they are really dumb things! Nothing stressful. I will add this. Sometimes if i try to listen to my thoughts i actually do come up with something i needed to remember, it might be a a birthday i forgot, the meaning of what someone really meant, a really good idea.

LyNcH

Steelhead Junkie
Fair enough. Research other forms of self talk specific to insomnia and turning around/slowing down racing thoughts.

Sometimes I will throw some ear buds in and fall asleep to relaxing music that I would never listen to during the day. A good bed makes a difference as well.

In all reality, other than for discussion on this board, you are not going to find and answer here. I suggest going and seeking some clinical advise from an LMSW type professional. There is more going on than "racing thoughts". Cause and effect. I will leave it at that.

I just took a peek inside that book and i don’t think it’s for me. Thank you , but I don’t related to any of those things to check off on that ‘test’ on the first page. That’s not my problem with insomnia. Edited to add: As you can see from my list of things i thought about....they are really dumb things! Nothing stressful. I will add this. Sometimes if i try to listen to my thoughts i actually do come up with something i needed to remember, it might be a a birthday i forgot, the meaning of what someone really meant, a really good idea.

Latest posts