NFR Insomnia....and what I’m going to do about it.

jwg

Ok. .....and while i know the iKea guy is Swedish, he sounded like a Nazi to me and it creeped me out.

But the best thing is i found some really nice 100% blackout curtains for my bedroom. I am so excited to find these today!
laughed out loud about the Swedish guy!

very curious about the blackout curtains. We have an east facing bedroom two sliding door panel. I put bamboo shades on the outside during the summer to cut down morning light. But after so many years here, we are probably way over due to get real blackout curtains.

jay

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I'm so spoiled. I have total darkness, except for the moon. I hit the rack when my eyelids get heavy. I do hear the highway traffic, but it doesn't keep me awake, and it usually gets sparser into the wee small hours. Sometimes the coyotes want to be yodeling all night. I usually sleep through all that background noise.

No "blackout curtains" for me. My bedroom window faces East, and I rise with the sun!:cool:

We've got blackout curtains in our bedroom. At night there's only the soft glow of the LED clock and the power-off light on the TV (which is red so doesn't really intrude when your eye lids are closed). Lived in Sweden for 4 years when I was kid - the summertime perpetual daylight was really annoying. I loved only having 3 hours of daylight in the middle of winter - playing in the school playground in the dark!

The blackout curtains do nothing for the coyotes when they're on the prowl - they wake me up periodically :)

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I spent almost a year in Greenland. The nights were very long and the days. Well the days were very long also. It was hard to tell the time when it was daylight 24 hours long. Since clocks at that time in my life didn't have 24 numbers on them only 12. You didn't know if it was 3 o'clock in the morning or the night.

I have had insomnia all my life...even as a teenager all of my friends would go to bed at one or two and I would be up 4 hours later. I have tried everything the sleep clinic has suggested none of it works. Just learned to live more hours in a day. Sleep meds/aids ...nada works...

I have had insomnia all my life...even as a teenager all of my friends would go to bed at one or two and I would be up 4 hours later. I have tried everything the sleep clinic has suggested none of it works. Just learned to live more hours in a day. Sleep meds/aids ...nada works...
I think i am getting to the point where i just have to accept it. I believe i’m Starting to understand what is happening with me. As i said i’ve Been bad a sleeping all my life but not being able to fall asleep until 3 or sometimes 4 in the morning is fairly new and happens a few times a month. (4 times this month, including last night). I think that my brain goes into overdrive to try and drown out my tinnitus which i first noticed around Christmas 2017. So if i am not listening to my ringing in the ears, which is constant and worse at night and morning simply because it’s quiet, then it starts working on thinking about everything that there is to think about.

So i tried the podcast earlier in the week, tried the Vitamin D3 at night (which i am still going to do cause it can’t hurt), and last night i tried melatonin. But it did not work. And in fact i was up until past 3 am thought this time I did get out of bed around 2 am and went in the living room to read for quite awhile which i don’t normally do.

I think i am going to have to go back to turning the TV on and setting the sleep timer, turn on Morgan Freeman’s God show. But also i’m thinking it’s time to give up trying to fix it. ...maybe i just don’t need that much sleep anyway. I don’t feel that tired today even though i probably had only four hours sleep tops.

I’m going to stop looking for solutions. And when i can’t sleep i’m going to get out of bed and read. Or maybe write. It was kind of nice being up last night all alone, when all is quiet outside and the lights are low and it’s cozy in our living room.

(I did have to turn on the range hood fan because i hate the total quiet though. Hahaha. )

Latest posts