NFR Insomnia....and what I’m going to do about it.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
I think i am getting to the point where i just have to accept it. I believe i’m Starting to understand what is happening with me... I think that my brain goes into overdrive to try and drown out my tinnitus... So if i am not listening to my ringing in the ears, which is constant and worse at night and morning simply because it’s quiet, then it starts working on thinking about everything that there is to think about...
You mentioned a podcast not working for the "thinking" thing. I sometimes listen to audio books through a pillow speaker (always use it so the alarm in my cellphone doesn't wake the wife) but singing the little song in my head or counting works better for me to break that cycle.

I can't remember if you mentioned seeing a doc for the tinnitus. My tinnitus is caused by damage from jet noise. Sometimes it's screaming louder than the TV. Wearing my hearing aids will often quiet it down to where is not noticeable. Have you tried going to an ENT?

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
You mentioned a podcast not working for the "thinking" thing. I sometimes listen to audio books through a pillow speaker (always use it so the alarm in my cellphone doesn't wake the wife) but singing the little song in my head or counting works better for me to break that cycle.

I can't remember if you mentioned seeing a doc for the tinnitus. My tinnitus is caused by damage from jet noise. Sometimes it's screaming louder than the TV. Wearing my hearing aids will often quiet it down to where is not noticeable. Have you tried going to an ENT?
@Brian Miller A pillow speaker?.... I have never heard of a pillow speaker? Do you put it inside your existing pillow ? My cellphone is so old i can’t use it for podcasts and i’m worried i will crack my iPad if i use earphones which is why i just let it play but our fan is on so loud that it is kind of hard to hear the iPad...(my husband is pretty tolerant of my need for noises, poor guy).

I did see a doctor about my tinnitus, which is how i also know there is nothing that can be done. I have no wax in my ears (which also can be a cause) and unlike you I was never in a job that would cause it.

My hearing is actually very good for my age. The only thing i can think of is it started the same month after having a terrible sudden scare with vertigo a year and half ago that was so bad i had to go to urgent care because we thought it might be a stroke. Though it has never happened again it was after that i started noticing the tinnitus.

The tinnitus has been constant for awhile now. It is sometimes worse and i don’t know why. Obviously it’s more noticeable in morning and night when things are quiet. But sometimes is sounds like whooshing, sometimes like crickets, but mostly it sounds like a very high pitch electrical current. As i said earlier i used to think it was a dimmer that wasn't quite turned on or our stereo receiver giving feedback over our speakers for awhile.

I have always flunked sleeping, but the being awake for hours and hours even as i feel tired, is fairly new so i’ve started relating it to tinnitus.

One thing does work but i don’t always have it: Xanax. (I usually have some leftover from the 5 pills my doctor prescribes for each of my travels. I don’t really have travel anxiety as much as i used to, but i still ask for it!)

On Monday I was up until 4 am so I finally took 1/2 a leftover pill and i was able to fall asleep within 30 minutes, though that could be because it was past 4 am. What also works is pot butter, I get it from a friend who makes it...but i also don’t want to take that every night, so i limit it to maybe 2 or 3 times a month.

I am thinking maybe i should just become nocturnal. I can get up and write or binge watch Game of Thrones which i’ve never watched. Then since i’m retired i can sleep until 10 am. I know i just need to quit stressing about it and accept it. That’s all i can do really.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
@Brian Miller A pillow speaker?.... I have never heard of a pillow speaker? Do you put it inside your existing pillow ? ...it it is kind of hard to hear the iPad...(my husband is pretty tolerant of my need for noises, poor guy). I did see a doctor about my tinnitus, which is how i also know there is nothing that can be done.

I have no wax in my ears (which also can be a cause) and unlike you I was never in a job that would cause it. My hearing is actually very good for my age. The only thing i can think of is it started the same month after having a terrible sudden scare with vertigo a year and half ago that was so bad i had to go to urgent care because we thought it might be a stroke. Though it has never happened again it was after that i started noticing the tinnitus.
I pair and connect a bluetooth pillow speaker to my phone for the alarm. Here is another link about them...
https://www.nosleeplessnights.com/best-pillow-speaker/
My wife has insomnia (part of her fibro problem) so I don't want to wake her when I get up.

Yes nothing can cure tinnitus, if that's what you actually have. But for some unknown reason, hearing aids can reduce it in some people; possibly a tiny electrical field close to the inner ear.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
@Brian Miller A pillow speaker?.... I have never heard of a pillow speaker? Do you put it inside your existing pillow ? My cellphone is so old i can’t use it for podcasts and i’m worried i will crack my iPad if i use earphones which is why i just let it play but our fan is on so loud that it is kind of hard to hear the iPad...(my husband is pretty tolerant of my need for noises, poor guy).

I did see a doctor about my tinnitus, which is how i also know there is nothing that can be done. I have no wax in my ears (which also can be a cause) and unlike you I was never in a job that would cause it.

My hearing is actually very good for my age. The only thing i can think of is it started the same month after having a terrible sudden scare with vertigo a year and half ago that was so bad i had to go to urgent care because we thought it might be a stroke. Though it has never happened again it was after that i started noticing the tinnitus.

The tinnitus has been constant for awhile now. It is sometimes worse and i don’t know why. Obviously it’s more noticeable in morning and night when things are quiet. But sometimes is sounds like whooshing, sometimes like crickets, but mostly it sounds like a very high pitch electrical current. As i said earlier i used to think it was a dimmer that wasn't quite turned on or our stereo receiver giving feedback over our speakers for awhile.

I have always flunked sleeping, but the being awake for hours and hours even as i feel tired, is fairly new so i’ve started relating it to tinnitus.

One thing does work but i don’t always have it: Xanax. (I usually have some leftover from the 5 pills my doctor prescribes for each of my travels. I don’t really have travel anxiety as much as i used to, but i still ask for it!)

On Monday I was up until 4 am so I finally took 1/2 a leftover pill and i was able to fall asleep within 30 minutes, though that could be because it was past 4 am. What also works is pot butter, I get it from a friend who makes it...but i also don’t want to take that every night, so i limit it to maybe 2 or 3 times a month.

I am thinking maybe i should just become nocturnal. I can get up and write or binge watch Game of Thrones which i’ve never watched. Then since i’m retired i can sleep until 10 am. I know i just need to quit stressing about it and accept it. That’s all i can do really.
Jojo, you sound like me. I have all those problems like you do. I just can't spell those words or I never think of them. I just ignore that Tinnitus. Sometimes it just goes away.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
I pair and connect a bluetooth pillow speaker to my phone for the alarm. Here is another link about them...
https://www.nosleeplessnights.com/best-pillow-speaker/
My wife has insomnia (part of her fibro problem) so I don't want to wake her when I get up.

Yes nothing can cure tinnitus, if that's what you actually have. But for some unknown reason, hearing aids can reduce it in some people; possibly a tiny electrical field close to the inner ear.
Thank you Brian. I’m going to look into these pillows. I have never heard of them before!

A friend had heard that a bit of calcium right at bedtime helps sleep; just a bit, like a spoonful or two of yogurt. She tried it, and it worked for her. Everyone's different, but it's worth a try, Jojo.

I've had insomnia off and on for years. I'm convinced it happens when I'm in a period of stress or worry. Stress can be from both positive things and negative things. So when something bad is in my life, I don't sleep much. Conversely, I also don't sleep well when something good is happening. For example, I get very little sleep if I'm going fishing in the morning.

Some of those stressful periods go on for a long, long time, even if I'm not that aware of the main cause of the stress. But if I manage the "little" causes of stress, like caffiene, poor diet, lack of exercise, neglecting my meditation sessions, etc., I find that my sleep problems aren't as bad or as frequent.

But when I just can't get to sleep, and just know that it'll be a sleepless night, if I just accept what's happening, sometimes (not always) I'll eventually fall asleep at least for awhile. Acceptance can reduce my worry about not sleeping. Sometimes my mind is clear enough to tell myself that, "okay, I'm not sleeping, I'm resting. Just rest now. Just accept that rest is as good as it's going to be tonight." I might or might not fall asleep in awhile, but that's the way it is sometimes.

Of course, if lack of sleep makes me a basket case the next day, and I can't think or drive properly, that's a problem. When I will need alertness the next day, I'll take a herbal sleep tea, and/or pill. There's a bunch of them, with names like "sleepy time", "relax and sleep", etc. The ones with valerian in them can be more effective, but can also make you groggy in the morning. Melatonin doesn't work for me, but everyone's different.

Last edited:

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
I totally get what you are saying @Birdbrain ... That is where i am at. I often know when it’s going to be that kind of night. And if i am ready to do something exciting the next day i often don’t sleep. Remember that commercial with the little boy at Christmastime? “I’m too excited to sleep!” ? I loved that commercial. When i ran my first half marathon i had a mentor tell me don’t worry if you can’t get to sleep the night before, just be mindful that you are resting your body as you try. And that helped me so much because i was less stressful about the race and did well in spite of not getting more than a few hours sleep.

Also i heard about calcium which is why i started taking it AND Vitamin D3 at bedtime. Melantonin didn’t work twice for me, neither does Benadryl. So i guess i am just one of those kind of folks.

@Brian Miller ... i just added one of those pillow speakers to my birthday list! I’ll let you know how it goes. I am very intrigued by this idea of pillow speakers! Along with the fan it can at least minimize the nighttime tinnitus.

Y’all have lots of ideas and i am all about solutions so i thank you all.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Oops. I am past my screen time allowance before bedtime ... though i have to say that i did that for quite a few days and it also didn’t matter.

I love my pillow speaker. I use it pretty much any time I don't want to use headphones. One or the other is needed so I don't keep the wife awake. TV, laptop, radio, whichever I am using.
For my tinnitus I contacted (when I lived in Michigan) the University of Michigan. They have a hearing institute as part of their medical campus. I called right after a small clinical study was completed that combined some sort of drug and some sort of sound therapy. It showed "some" help for some of the participants. Unfortunately the young lady I was emailing with graduated and I could find no further studies being done.
I keep hoping for a breakthrough, as others have said, right now there just isn't much beyond masking they can do.

jwg

I don't know if there is a scientific basis for this, but a friends doctor recommended she take an antihistamine for her tinnitus, and for her it worked. Just an anecdote, I guess you said you tried benadryl. That stuff knocks me out.

j

jwg

seems like I may have read something about a training program to reduce tinnitus. Audio tapes or something to retrain your mind about real sound vs thinking there is sound. That would take some googling.
j

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
I don't know if there is a scientific basis for this, but a friends doctor recommended she take an antihistamine for her tinnitus, and for her it worked. Just an anecdote, I guess you said you tried benadryl. That stuff knocks me out.

j
@jwg.... you know what? you may have just figured something out for me. I take antihistamine often during the spring. I am allergic to so many things (trees, grasses, weeds, etc mostly) that it took 34 years of shots until i got better but during spring i still have to take it. I use chlortrimeton (sp? Or CTM as it’s called) which helps allergies (sleep not so much). Sometimes i take it every day during tree or grass season.

I am now wondering if when i take CTM those are the days that my tinnitus isn’t AS bad. (For awhile i thought it might be runnng with earbuds vs over the ear headphones.)

@Brian Miller and @rawalker ...i’m Thinking maybe i should get a bluetooth pillow now so that i can also watch TV. I did have big Bluetooth headphones but there is no way i could fall asleep wearing those. I’m really interested in this pillow speaker, which i’ve nevewr heard of before. Do y’all have a recommendation?

Just went to the bedroom and got mine. It is a Sangean brand, model PS-300 Pillow Speaker. Got it on Amazon.
What I like about this model is the in line volume control and the built in amplifier, which you can turn on or off as needed, depending on the device. The amplifier is powered by a AAA battery. The cord is about 7' long. When I use it with the TV I just use a 6' extension cord so the volume control is still within easy reach.
Richard

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Just went to the bedroom and got mine. It is a Sangean brand, model PS-300 Pillow Speaker. Got it on Amazon.
What I like about this model is the in line volume control and the built in amplifier, which you can turn on or off as needed, depending on the device. The amplifier is powered by a AAA battery. The cord is about 7' long. When I use it with the TV I just use a 6' extension cord so the volume control is still within easy reach.
Richard
Thank you @rawalker I saw that one but i think i might want bluetooth because i can pair with our wireless Smart TV. Here is one i’m researching. It needs to be comfortable too. Many speakers have something that fits over eyes. No way. (Besides i already have my blackout curtains which are great.)

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PPSP18-...efix=Bluetooth+Pillow+speakers,aps,199&sr=8-4

Latest posts