NFR Insomnia....and what I’m going to do about it.

The T.O. Show

Buenos Hatches Ese
Like Chromer J said, the screen on your device is messing with your body's circadian rhythm. It's telling your brain that it's still daytime and suppressing it's natural release of melatonin to help put you to sleep. I deal with this a lot when building hospitals and even some schools and expect we'll see it in all commercial buildings eventually. Tunable white lighting that matches the changes in the color temparature of natural daylight can have significant impacts on a student's productivity in a school, a patient's recovery in a hospital, your ability to sleep, etc. etc.

Last edited:
"If you can't sleep, count sheep. Don't count endangered animals. You will run out."
-Mitch Hedberg

Jojo, have you been counting steelhead and Puget Sound Orcas?

i will add one to the issues of not being able to sleep. Last week my brother stayed a couple of nights and in the middle of the night I thought I heard him blurt out something. I figured he had gone crazy and was sleep talking, walking me up each time. Told him later.

He informed me he asks Siri "what time is it?" Wtf? Are you kidding me? THAT is technology robbing me of sleep!

Last edited:

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
If the pot butter works or at least helps, why not keep using it?
Ellen has always woke up in the middle of the night several times...She has had tinitus her whole life too...Anyway I had never been to a dispensary...We went to a big one in vancouver...it was packed...and folks were buying weed for the most part...The folks behind the counter were like chemists and science grad geeky types...they knew their stuff but i have to say it was weird...and expensive... Ellen tried it for a while...it did improve her sleep pattern but not consistently...I suppose she tried it as an experiment...

PhilR

I struggle with this as well. Can’t always get the mind monkeys under control. In addition to screens off two hours before bed and chamomile tea, I use the sleep module in the headspace app. It helps shift focus.

When it gets really bad, I play a round of golf in my head, which crowds out the other thoughts.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Have you paid any attention to the moon phase on the nights you have difficulty falling asleep? The Moon's pull doesn't affect everyone as much as it does some folk. I seem to get wired and can't fall asleep rapidly during the Full Moon and a couple of days on either side of it, and the New Moon and 2 or 3 days after also seem to keep me awake until the wee small hours.
If I don't have more than 2 beers or a glass of wine, I can sleep OK if I quit any alcohol before 9pm...I usually retire by 11pm, sometimes later. Sometimes I have to get up at around 2am and head to the loo, but generally, once I fall asleep, I may wake up only once or twice due to needing to roll back over onto my back and straighten out my legs...my circulation seems to be better if I sleep on my back.
I wake with the sunrise, and its been popping up earlier these days, so I roll over and catch a few more winks.
That was my $.02

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Oh, I nearly forgot about the worst one that prevented me from getting a good night's sleep. My smoke detectors had a small green LED indicator light on them. They were installed as a system, one in each room, and wired into my household wiring, with a battery backup. The green LED bugged the hell out of me....always there on the ceiling above my bed.The real bummer was that the backup batteries in the detectors would soon weaken to the point where the LEDs started flashing, and the offending smoke detector would emit a screeching alarm. This happened a few times before I took a Louisville Slugger to them, and installed ONE battery powered smoke detector in the large open room (living and kitchen areas) that takes up most of my house, except for the bedrooms. I don't smoke, nor do I allow any smoking in my house, and no tobacco smoking at all on my property. When I torch my burn pile, I usually dance around it howling like the savage that I am, enjoying the flames...and managing the blaze until it is a nice little dying fire in the center of a large firepit. The whole time, I have had my garden hose unwound and turned on full, at the ready, with a pistol grip nozzle. I am an attentive cook, and don't have a TV to distract me from my meal prep. I do not need a smoke detector, except that I have to have one in each room for my homeowner's insurance policy. I have dead batteries in all except the main one.

I won't have any LED indicators where I can see them from my bedroom. No alarm clock where I can see it...I have to get out of bed to hit the "snooze" or turn it off. Works for me! Pure Darkness rules at night.

Also, I am lucky in that there are no street lights on my street (a dead-end lane), and my neighbors and myself all turn off any outdoor lighting before retiring. Its dark around my place. If I peer out my kitchen window, I can see a dim porch light shining from a couple hundred yards up the street. Otherwise...darkness!
Darkness! Darkness! Be my pillow!

Last edited:

Tmik

My mom suffered from pretty intense insomnia for a long time and I have had random bouts with it. These are some of the things that have helped:
  • Get your exercise in (leg based exercise seems to have the biggest affect)
  • No screens an hour before sleep (swap for books/kindles)
  • Stop drinking water an hour before sleep
  • In a similar vain, if you need to go to the bathroom go instead of holding off
  • Recently when my mom had a fight with cancer she started taking high CBD low THC products a couple hours before sleep, this was a big help and didnt carry any of the lingering issues/grogginess that xanax or other sleep aid medication included in the morning

teedub

I have Jamie's issue. Fall asleep like a catholic baby. Wake up at two or three and maybe takes one or two hours to fall back into a good sleep. When I do, it seems like I sleep very hard. I do take in a great deal of screen time during the day, but not usually before bed.

I am starting to come to terms with it but it seems like I am wasting ten to fifteen hours a week. Bummer!

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Most importantly, I have a large bed in a very small bedroom, and the only thing I do in there is sleep, nap, or "other bedroom activities," if I happen to get lucky. Do not use your bedroom as a computer room, and don't have a TV in there, or any other distractions. I can hear music from my living room stereo, which shuts down after the music I selected is done.
The funny thing is, I can't read in my bedroom without getting drowsy, so cracking open a book while in bed will usually have me falling off after only a couple of paragraphs.

Last edited:

BigCat1661

Busch Light Pro Staff/Ambassador
In regards to the blue light issue, I swear by these glasses. They may look a little goofy, but if you wear them while watching TV, reading, etc. for an hour or two before you go to sleep, you will wake up feeling more refreshed than if you hadn't worn them. Not saying you'll leap out of bed in the morning, but there will be a noticeable difference when your alarm goes off. I have recommended them to numerous friends and colleagues over the past few years who called me crazy, but now they wear them every night!

https://www.amazon.com/Uvex-Blockin...4842622&s=gateway&sprefix=blue+light+,aps,213

Latest posts