NFR Insomnia....and what I’m going to do about it.

Darby

Here's an old military trick, does require some discipline tho. Close your eyes and no matter what do not open them. If you do not have the discipline to keep them shut it will never work. Sounds crazy, but with yours eyes closed your brain starts to shut down. Eventually, you'll train yourself...eyes closed - time to rest.

jamma

Hear you 100% on the runaway brain thing and I have tinnitus in one ear also. Why one ear? Mumps and measles simultaneously took half the hearing in one ear so I have the advantage of being a side sleeper therefore I can sleep on the good, relatively speaking, ear, it's the one with the tinnitus, reducing extraneous sounds. Many of my issues come from working graveyard shift for thirty-some years. What I did was split my hours, half when I got home and half before getting up for work. I have found that this has rendered me unable to sleep more than 4 or 5 hours at a time.This is still an issue 2.5 years after my retirement. Lots of good advice here, a few more:

Do you sleep on your back? Sleep apnea may be an issue.

I use ambient music regularly, and environmental sounds such as rainfall and waves have been proven to be effective.

A half-hour of meditation in a dark or low-lit room can be useful also. The advise about light from computer screens is very good.

If all else fails, try a little popcorn. I know there are times when it puts me out like a light and it for sure worked on the ex, she was usually done before the movie or bowl was finished.

I have also found that obsessing about not being able to sleep can actually contribute to the problem. Once I realize that I am not going to get to sleep, I just do something relaxing and accept that it's as close as I am going to get. People who came to graveyard always complained about this and I always told them it will eventually catch up to you and you will sleep eventually. I have witnessed guys sleeping leaned up against a machine banging away at 200 bpm's and sitting on a table (same guy) and another fella fall asleep on his feet and nearly pitch into moving machinery but he had a diabetes problem as well.

Hope this helps.

the_grube

This stuff has been really effective for me:
1554848949594.png

My mind tends to race at night too. I take one tablet when I go to bed, and if I wake up in the middle of the night I'll take another one. They're a little pricey, but worth it to me for a good night's sleep.

the_grube

In regards to the blue light issue, I swear by these glasses. They may look a little goofy, but if you wear them while watching TV, reading, etc. for an hour or two before you go to sleep, you will wake up feeling more refreshed than if you hadn't worn them. Not saying you'll leap out of bed in the morning, but there will be a noticeable difference when your alarm goes off. I have recommended them to numerous friends and colleagues over the past few years who called me crazy, but now they wear them every night!

https://www.amazon.com/Uvex-Blocking-Computer-SCT-Orange-S1933X/dp/B000USRG90/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia?crid=1BOWIVJBXJUKC&keywords=blue+light+glasses&pd_rd_i=B000USRG90&pd_rd_r=1b82c296-ab00-4c06-9946-5dc55d1ab4b3&pd_rd_w=gkUlO&pd_rd_wg=IJ0aS&pf_rd_p=23754a30-606a-4e0a-ba42-b43d14507217&pf_rd_r=3JR248AKJWVFNT179CXH&qid=1554842622&s=gateway&sprefix=blue+light+,aps,213
Those are what we call, 'birth control glasses' if you wear them to bed...

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
"If you can't sleep, count sheep. Don't count endangered animals. You will run out."
-Mitch Hedberg

Jojo, have you been counting steelhead and Puget Sound Orcas?

i will add one to the issues of not being able to sleep. Last week my brother stayed a couple of nights and in the middle of the night I thought I heard him blurt out something. I figured he had gone crazy and was sleep talking, walking me up each time. Told him later.

He informed me he asks Siri "what time is it?" Wtf? Are you kidding me? THAT is technology robbing me of sleep!
I tried counting Atlantic Salmon!

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Those are what we call, 'birth control glasses' if you wear them to bed...
Hahahaha... I saw that there were glasses you could wear i wonder if they make them in 2.0 readers! I would get them. I might have to do some research! Hahaha.

I found these from Amazon. They aren’t cheap and they definitely aren’t cute, but it might be worth it!

Attachments

Last edited:

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Oh, I nearly forgot about the worst one that prevented me from getting a good night's sleep. My smoke detectors had a small green LED indicator light on them. They were installed as a system, one in each room, and wired into my household wiring, with a battery backup. The green LED bugged the hell out of me....always there on the ceiling above my bed.The real bummer was that the backup batteries in the detectors would soon weaken to the point where the LEDs started flashing, and the offending smoke detector would emit a screeching alarm. This happened a few times before I took a Louisville Slugger to them, and installed ONE battery powered smoke detector in the large open room (living and kitchen areas) that takes up most of my house, except for the bedrooms. I don't smoke, nor do I allow any smoking in my house, and no tobacco smoking at all on my property. When I torch my burn pile, I usually dance around it howling like the savage that I am, enjoying the flames...and managing the blaze until it is a nice little dying fire in the center of a large firepit. The whole time, I have had my garden hose unwound and turned on full, at the ready, with a pistol grip nozzle. I am an attentive cook, and don't have a TV to distract me from my meal prep. I do not need a smoke detector, except that I have to have one in each room for my homeowner's insurance policy. I have dead batteries in all except the main one.

I won't have any LED indicators where I can see them from my bedroom. No alarm clock where I can see it...I have to get out of bed to hit the "snooze" or turn it off. Works for me! Pure Darkness rules at night.

Also, I am lucky in that there are no street lights on my street (a dead-end lane), and my neighbors and myself all turn off any outdoor lighting before retiring. Its dark around my place. If I peer out my kitchen window, I can see a dim porch light shining from a couple hundred yards up the street. Otherwise...darkness!
Darkness! Darkness! Be my pillow!
You guys are great with ideas! I actually do keep a very dark room . We hang photographer black curtains when it starts getting light early (almost time to put them up) and i can’t even see my hand in front of my face. I also have taped off the LED lights because they drive me crazy.

@the_grube , Hahahaha “birth control glasses”. @BigCat1661 I am going to look into those glasses. I hope they make them in readers!

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
If the pot butter works or at least helps, why not keep using it?
I don’t like the idea of totally relying on it so i save it for those nights when i can just tell it’s going to be a “mind monkey” night (love that term @PhilR !) i feel like it won’t work after awhile if i do it every day. I still have a bunch of CBD that actually made me feel all itchy. At first i thought it was my imagination but i tried it again later and the same thing happened. I have no idea why but i am allergic to lots of stuff (had allergy shots for 34 years there were so many weeds and grasses, etc) so i wondered about that.

Last edited:

jasmillo

There was about a year period over ten years ago where I had true insomnia. Not sleeping much at all. 2 hours of shitty sleep a night if that. Tons of nights where I just never fell asleep. I do not like to take medications so I never did. I did try all kinds of natural remedies, none of which seemed to work. The thing that finally worked was my doctor saying to me; “so you don’t sleep well. Nothing physically wrong, your going through a phase. When your body needs sleep it will sleep. Otherwise, don’t sweat it.” Not sure it was sound medical advice but he hit the right buttons with that statement. Insomnia for me was like a spiral I could not get out of. The more I didn’t sleep, the more I worried about it and worrying about it led me to not sleeping. After that, I basically said screw it. No more worrying about noise, or lights, or to much screen time. If I was not falling asleep, I started reading or watching a movie. I didn’t sweat it. Eventually, after a couple weeks, I just started sleeping.

The problem is it definitely starts effecting your life. To be that tired. Impacts energy, concentration, etc. That whole year is kind of like a dream. Hazy and I do not remember much. All that stuff worries you and leads to the spiraling. Excepting you will not be your normal self for a bit as you go through it also helped me. Just had to work through it.

That being said, insomnia can be caused by a lot of different things. The advice my doctor gave me won’t work for everyone.

jamma

You guys are great with ideas! I actually do keep a very dark room . We hang photographer black curtains when it starts getting light early (almost time to put them up) and i can’t even see my hand in front of my face. I also have taped off the LED lights because they drive me crazy.

@the_grube , Hahahaha “birth control glasses”. @BigCat1661 I am going to look into those glasses. I hope they make them in readers!
My thought was birth control might not be so much an issue for you these days.:oops:

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
My thought was birth control might not be so much an issue for you these days.:oops:
For sure!!!! I love the term though. I remember a cartoon about Birkenstocks. A woman goes to the doctor and he is handing her a box of Birkenstocks (you can also substitute Crocs or Uggs ) and he says to her “I’m all out of birth control, here, try these. “

jamma

There was about a year period over ten years ago where I had true insomnia. Not sleeping much at all. 2 hours of shitty sleep a night if that. Tons of nights where I just never fell asleep. I do not like to take medications so I never did. I did try all kinds of natural remedies, none of which seemed to work. The thing that finally worked was my doctor saying to me; “so you don’t sleep well. Nothing physically wrong, your going through a phase. When your body needs sleep it will sleep. Otherwise, don’t sweat it.” Not sure it was sound medical advice but he hit the right buttons with that statement. Insomnia for me was like a spiral I could not get out of. The more I didn’t sleep, the more I worried about it and worrying about it led me to not sleeping. After that, I basically said screw it. No more worrying about noise, or lights, or to much screen time. If I was not falling asleep, I started reading or watching a movie. I didn’t sweat it. Eventually, after a couple weeks, I just started sleeping.

The problem is it definitely starts effecting your life. To be that tired. Impacts energy, concentration, etc. That whole year is kind of like a dream. Hazy and I do not remember much. All that stuff worries you and leads to the spiraling. Excepting you will not be your normal self for a bit as you go through it also helped me. Just had to work through it.

That being said, insomnia can be caused by a lot of different things. The advice my doctor gave me won’t work for everyone.
And it's not always a bad thing. Wilt Chamberlain had insomnia and had exactly zero hours of sleep the night before he scored 100 points.:cool:

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
DA591CA1-9771-47BC-B005-F7A902E477B9.jpeg AC596EF7-537A-4B4D-87C2-CB0D1B25F5B4.jpeg

I have a diary that i used to keep when i couldn’t sleep. Sometimes when i wrote out my roller coaster thoughts it made me settle down. Here is part of one of my entries from 2010. Very often I am going over something i said that may have come out wrong, in this case my nephew’s fiance’s new ring. (I really did NOT like that ring though. Hahahaha...)

Latest posts